Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wouldn’t it be great if a Cardo technician monitored this thread?
    huguesfrederic likes this.
  2. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just like the team at Mosko Moto does for their ADV thread? :)

Rick
  3. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Yes. Just like that. I’d bet their conversion rate from other brands would skyrocket.

I’ve heard their responses on their website are quite good but I need to quantify my issues before I do that.
  4. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Several manufacturers do it, shows they actually care. Baja Designs, Denali, Rev-It, I think Klim does one their on-call staff are always very helpful, couple of brands. Cardo does seem to have really good tech support unlike some companies...looking at you GARMIN. Love spending close to $1k on maps just to not be able to transfer them to a replacement device on same account, or actually use the software made for said new device and have to use the old one...GARMIN, fuc$ Garmin won't ever buy their map products again fuc%$ng con artists. Anyway sorry bout the little rant, Cardo is pretty good all things considered, several people get no questions asked replacements when stuff goes wrong.
    sakurama, Zubb and stk0308 like this.
  5. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does Cardo even know what ADV is as a site? They’re not like Mosko/Denali/etc where the demo here is also their primary marketing focus. I ride with a bunch of guys who have Cardos and all ADV means to them is that weird sticker I have on my windscreen.
    Zubb likes this.
  6. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    They do now, as I just created a support ticket (C-00216077) that includes a link to this page and an invitation to have one of their support team join in on the conversation. I will keep everyone posted as to their response.

Rick

Edit: Response from Cardo Support.

Hi Rick,

Thank you for contacting Cardo support.

I will pass this along to our headquarters.

Best regards,

Brent
    Zubb and I82l8 like this.
  7. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I had an extremely responsive email chain going with them, where I described my issues and they replied back same day. Impressive.

As mentioned above I do think it's important to quantify your issue, and there's so much going on with all the different components that can be paired together, It makes it difficult to do. And everyone's situation could be different.
    Zubb likes this.
  8. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    I'm almost positive Cardo used to have a rep on this site.

Edit: yup, right here:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/card...ms-information-and-discussion-thread.1102985/
  9. Halminator

Halminator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a top idea, thanks!
  10. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
  11. Manwell

Manwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty sad indeed when the technology is so basic in todays tech world and none of the players seem be able to pull it off. Especially for the money… I’m like many, I don’t mind spending the extra for quality and dependability. My SLR has started acting up, dropping the Bluetooth connection and then picking in back up 10 or 15 seconds later. Unfortunately, Apple CarPlay won’t pick back up without unplugging and re-plugging the phone. PITA for sure… I have updated the firmware on the device and on the bike - didn’t fix the issue - not looking forward to contacting Sena, as I will probably just end up more pissed off.

I use these small speakers around the house, Bluetooth connected, complete with a mic for taking phone calls. They sound good, never loose a signal, pickup Bluetooth 35’ away, the mic works well, battery life is amazing, can be used while charging and cost around $40. My Sena SLR on the other hand - speakers sound like crap, can’t be used while charging and randomly drops the Bluetooth connection - all for around $350!
  12. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Strap a couple of those speakers to your helmet - problem solved!
    Manwell likes this.
  13. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had an extremely unresponsive email chain going with them. I described the volume wheel controlling only the "intercom" slider on the app but changing the actual loudness of everything including music. They responded by telling me there's an app and it has sliders in it. :scratch

My unit then developed other symptoms and it was all fixed by a reset (all 3 buttons for 5 seconds).

I see that these things are imperfect with small symptoms showing up occasionally. But I'm generally impressed that this magic works at all and am usually glad to have a PTB on my helmet.
    Zubb likes this.
  14. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Same here. I think what everyone forgets, is that there's about a thousand kinds of cell phones out there and every single one is freaking different. It must be insanity to develop a product that works for even 30% of consumers.
    The other pielce that they had limited experience with was using my bike TFT as a hub between the PTB and my phone. That's got to throw a wrench in their works...
  15. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was reminded of how early the little low battery “ba-doops” start playing while out riding Sunday. Forgot to charge before heading out on a 5ish hour route, and 1140 it started warning. My Bold was still happily playing music when I got home at 220.

For some reason I can’t seem to find a vendor that sells the adhesive mounts in the US as a stand-alone. They’re available in Europe and Canada, and significantly less then the “refresh kit” that includes em.
    stk0308 likes this.
  16. Zubb

Oddometer:
    I ordered up one of these and like it for garage charging my unit. However it won’t work for charging while riding as the magnet is too weak for those stressed. For those 1 or 2 trips a year that I ride beyond 12 hours in a day I’ll have to pull the little plug and revert to the original cord/method.
  17. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Your other option is to power it down while on the move, for part of the day and save your battery for when you need it.
  18. Zubb

Oddometer:
    True and yes I’ve done that. I can actually get close to 16 hours if it’s just mostly music and no riding partner. but when riding with my son, we can talk for 16 hours! Which seems crazy but it’s no different then if traveling in a car together.
  19. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Cardo PTB has always been a little lemony from day 1. And when I say lemony, I mean the battery life has been so bad. I came from a Sena SMH10 that would last easily 10-12 hour days. I came to the PTB which seemed lucky to make it 6 hours at the best. This year I am down to 2-3 hours before it decides to die. I'm guessing I just got a bad battery as the other guys I ride with still get ~6 hours.

Anywho, ebay and a new 1200mAh battery to the rescue. New battery is installed. I'll see if the upgrade from the stock 700-800mAh unit helps out.
    [​IMG]
    Zubb likes this.
  20. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Great! I didn't know they could be replaced. How do they attach to the circuit board? Do those batteries have a standard connector?