Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Soldered to the main board. Hold your iron on the connection for a second or two to soften up the old wiring and remove. Then pre-tin the ends of the leads on the new battery, heat up the connection on the board, and set the lead in place.

Or you can snip the wires off the old battery, leave yourself some room to work and just solder the wires of the new battery to the old battery. I snipped the wires and soldered the new battery to them.

The battery pack is a generic phone-style unit.

Word of warning, the tiny T5 screws are as soft as butter, even though they are only screwed into plastic, easy to strip the heads out. You could also compromise the waterproof rating of your unit opening it up. There is a thin, rubbery/sticky seal around the edge when you pull the two halves apart.

I considered this a $20 experiment, as the PTB was pretty much useless with only 2hrs or so of runtime. If it gets me another year or so, I'll be happy.
    EJJ and heatmizr like this.
  2. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    The wires are soldered to the board and the battery comes with plain leads. To do the install it is best to cut the wires on the old battery rather than try to unsolder them then splice the wires to the new battery leads. Use small heat shrink over the splices.
    Zubb and HAL 9000 like this.
  3. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    Amazon sells electronic repair tape or cell phone glue that you can use to reseal the cases.
  4. Straddlemonkey

Straddlemonkey n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Tom,
    You are the first to mention the same problem that I've been having without any luck of finding an answer. I've even gone as far as contacting Samsung and they weren't any help. How did you manage to bypass Bixby? I've changed settings and even went as far as removing Bixby with no results. Thanks for your help

Jason
  5. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I googled "Remove Bixby" and came across the way to do it. I don't have the specific link anymore but it wasn't that hard to find.

..Tom
  6. Straddlemonkey

Straddlemonkey n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It turned out to be a permission thing where bixby was selected as the main hands free/bluetooth assistant. Now I have Google Assistant up and going and life is good!!
    V-Tom likes this.
  7. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Damn bloatware strikes again.
    This is why I bought a Google Pixel phone. I find it very intuitive and helpful with a lot of nice shortcuts. And nothing extra that I don't want.
  8. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love the thought of it but wanted the 512 gig of storage my S20+ has plus the ability to use micro SD cards for more storage.

..Tom
  9. Air Force Vet

Air Force Vet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So...on my way to work this morning I get the "battery low" warning. Hey Cardo, battery status..."battery status 25%". 1 minute later, "goodbye". What?
    Turned back on and opened the Cardo app. Yep, 25%. 1 minute later, "goodbye". Normally get another hour or two after the battery low warning. Weird.
  10. I82l8

I82l8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best piece of advice posted in this thread.
    Couldn't get her to recognize any of my voice controls until I started to talking to her like I did to my wife on our first date :clap
  11. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Flowers might help...
    I82l8 likes this.
  12. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Met two guys from Cardo at the MOA show. They were super helpful. Once again, my problems were user error driven.
  13. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    Funny, I met two Cardo guys sitting at a booth at the Road America motorcycle races on the 12th, and there was nobody around. They were just sitting in their chairs and had no interest in talking about anything, let alone talking up the Cardo products. I even expressed interest in buying the 45mm speaker kit, and they stated they had nothing for sale. Tiny booth, big truck and no product. I just walked on wondering what was the point of being there?
  14. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    At MOA they were slammed non stop every day. But took the time to let me ask a question or two and helped me with the app and checked my install on my helmet. All the time multi tasking. I came away super impressed with their work ethic and solutions.
    bigjohnsd likes this.
  15. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    I'm glad your interaction went much better.
  16. EJJ

EJJ Dog lover

Oddometer:
    That's how my G9x started to act up, I replaced the battery off fleabay and that was last year, works good so far. I have had good customer service with Cardo, several years ago when I had just the G4 it was acting up, they ask to see the unit....cardo replaced it. A few years after that I had a G9 and was out of warranty by about 6 months. I emailed with a complaint it would cut off with a full battery charge. They ask for the thing so I shipped it back, they returned it with a G9x upgrade at no charge...and reminded me to keep checking for updates.
    Air Force Vet and Zubb like this.
  17. The Cone of Silence

The Cone of Silence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Received my Packtalk Black the other day and rigged up the speakers in my new Nexx Wed2 helmet.

Two issues:
    1. Fitting the Cardo to a helmet designed to have its own comms system was hard and while I think it's ok now, the Cardo is still farther back than I want it so I might need to do some custom fitting work to get it perfect. It depends on how much noise it makes at speed in its current location.
    2. The voice commands are awful. I grew up in England and have spent the last 20 years in Australia....so my accent is mostly English but with the odd Aussie twang. Cardo does not speak my language and I have to put on an American accent to make it understand me....and even then it's intermittent.
    The speakers are AWESOME. Can't wait to give this rig a good run and throw some tunes out and be able to make/ take a call. I even set up Siri on my phone to help with this. Maybe she'll understand me!
  18. BoilerRealm

BoilerRealm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm having a new issue that just popped up. When receiving a phone call, I say hello and it picks up the call like it should. But the audio doesn't go to the speakers. Stays at the phone. If I initiate a call using Hey Siri, it connects the speakers just fine. So I'm having to have Siri redial the last number to actually take a phone call. Anyone else have this problem? Did I screw up a setting somewhere. Using an Iphone 11 with newest update, and the PTB is running the latest firmware.
  19. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    That totally sounds like a call setting in your iPhone.
    On Android, I can tell it to funnel audio to the onboard speaker, or the BT connected device.
    Zubb likes this.
  20. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know much about iPhones but you might try unpairing the Packtalk and pairing it again.

..Tom
    BoilerRealm likes this.