Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. jhindsy

jhindsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After glancing through this post I see a lot of the same issue, I have a pack talk slim, so it should be the same as the PTB. I can barely hear my music through my speakers on my Krios pro, is this a “deal with it” situation or do I have to shell out the extra money for minimum returns on the 45’s? I’m just frustrated I spent so much on a headset that I can barely hear. Hell, my old BiLT helmet with the crap built in Sena would hurt my ears on the highways on my crotch rocket.
  2. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn’t have any issues hearing music or comms when I had a Krios Pro. Speakers were placed pretty squarely on my ears, stuck them behind the little flap on the cheek pads. Make sure your audio source is turned to max, and I find the speed sensitive setting helps keep it cranked. Not as good as a fully sealed / aerodynamic helmet, but it wasn’t bad at all.
  3. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Long timer

Oddometer:
    The placement is pretty key. I've noticed that if they're not right over my ears it's hard to hear, but if they're placed right, I'm good at 50% volume.
    fredz43 likes this.
  4. jhindsy

jhindsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s some good advice, I thought I had them pretty center but I might have to wiggle with the placement a bit when I get back to the helmet..

I’m not expecting it to be deafening but when I put music on and ear plugs, I can barely hear at highway.. I usually have the phone all the way up and then play with the volume on the headset, but I max it out every time. The weird part is that when I was talking to my buddy who had a sena and he was paired as my phone, it was literally so loud it hurt sometimes but whenever I put on music, back to quiet.
  5. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've found with my GPS and phone both paired to my PTB, if both are at max volume, my GPS is MUCH louder than my phone for some reason.
  6. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, this is one of the problems with the smaller sized arai xd4s, the way the cheek pads are built the notch for the speakers is way out of line with most peoples ears
  7. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Long timer

Oddometer:
    The output volume on a lot of phones is restricted when connected to something that looks like a Bluetooth headset. There's ways to bypass that on some of them.
    N4HHE likes this.
  8. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also by default the output is cut when you’re connected to intercoms, gotta play with the background volume setting.
    heatmizr likes this.
  9. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stick your finger up into the helmet and mark exactly where the center of your ear is. remove helmet and put the center of the speaker exactly where your finger is. It will velcro right to the liner. No need to go under neath it. Go to the app>settings and turn the music up to high, and balance the phone and GPS to medium. "save" in the top right corner. Go back a page and turn the microphone sensitivity to normal.

This may work for you.

My music was very low because the mic kept keyed open like I was on the intercom, but I wasn't. Turning the mic down helped. I also plugged BTB into the laptop and updated the software even though it showed it had the latest version. I even deleted the app and reinstalled it on my phone.
    I'm not sure which step mostly fixed the problem but I'm happy now riding up to 60mph or so. 70 sometimes. 80, forget it. Bear in mind my hearing is compromised and not 100% so my issues are exaggerated on this.
    Raconnol likes this.
  10. jhindsy

jhindsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Screenshot-ing this for future use, I’ll have to give it shot once I’m back in the US and can physically manipulate the helmet again. I think moving the speakers might help a bit and I might Velcro them directly to the liner.
  11. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wear a Buff over my skull and ears to absorb sweat and cause the helmet to slide on and off easier. The keeps my ears tucked to my head so the speakers do not ‘snag’ on them when donning the helmet.
    bigjohnsd likes this.
  12. Alexol

Alexol Chronic Farkoholic

Oddometer:
    South La., where I-10 has a curve. One curve.
    For anyone who 3D prints, here's a stand for a pair of Packtalk Bolds. Still have to connect the USB charging cable, but helps with desk/counter space.

20210827_151257.jpg 20210827_151119.jpg
    WQFTruckster, SteelB12 and STumped like this.
  13. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Nice. Is the STL posted somewhere?
  14. Alexol

Oddometer:
    No, but it could be easily enough, if I knew how and where?
  15. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Thingiverse is very popular. Just sign up.
  16. Alexol

Oddometer:
    I'll check into it. Meantime, if you want the files, send me a PM with your email address.
  17. Alexol

Oddometer:
  18. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Anyone here install the Bold into a Klim TK 1200 helmet? Except for the boom mic, everything just drops right in, used the "sticky" mount on the main unit. Just having some questions on where/how to install the boom mic on this helmet. The boom apears to be either too long or too short.
  19. GotFog

GotFog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody else having difficulty with Update today?
  20. Geordietraveller

Geordietraveller On the road to nowhere...

Oddometer:
    I just tried after I read your post and both Packtalk (non Bold) units updated no problem.
    Maybe try a different USB cable?
    N4HHE likes this.