Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    I update ours with two different magnetic cables no problem.

I have never had a need to use a cable while wearing a helmet.
  2. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I missed that post.

..Tom
  3. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm 64, lots of clicks. Hitting the year didn't do anything (on Windows 10 using Google Chrome) but the update went smoothly.

..Tom
    WJBertrand likes this.
  4. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^ this.
    I tried it, hoped it would work. Definitely a fail for charging while riding. But it's awesome for charging at home.
  5. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, this whole time I assumed people were only using the magnetic cord for charging at home. I never imagined people would be charging while they ride... seems like a good way to tear up the USB (hence the magnetic cords I guess), and a royal PITA to have to deal with in general. If my options were to plug in my HELMET, or not use my Cardo, you bet your ass I'm going with the latter. Besides that, I have never run out of battery on mine during a ride, the battery life seems like more than enough for a day of riding IME.
    heatmizr and bmwroadsterca like this.
  6. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I often ride 12-14 hour days, so there isn't a whole lot of choice. Even topping off at a lunch stop isn't enough sometimes (especially if I forget to top off). My Cardo is 5 years old now, so the battery life is not what it once was. I still get 5-6 hours of music/intercom before the low battery warning, and there is about another 2 hours before shutdown after the warning.
    One of the guys in my group broke his USB port, but he is pretty rough on stuff in general.

I charge using a small battery pack in my jacket pocket, so I don't have as many issues with tugging the USB cord, but I wanted to give the magnetic plug a try.
  7. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I charge my Kyocera DFP on the bike all the time, but never thought about using it for the Cardo. No reason it wouldn't work, I periodically wash my phone with the magnetic adapter in place, lol. While riding, it takes a heavy downpour before I even think about disconnecting the cable. Caveat - I've found some of the magnetic adapter are not as strong as others. The best I've run across so far, are the round versions from Wsken. I'm glad I bought more than one, because I can't find them in the USA any more. There are a few brands out there that do allow data transfer, although I have not personally tried them.
    PTJCAL likes this.
  8. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fortunately I have enough 14-16 hour days that I will run out of battery once in awhile. For me... the longer the ride is, the more important it becomes to have comm/phone/music during the last quarter of the ride.

I also use a medium sized battery pack to charge it from my chest pocket when needed.
    I've also learned that if I turn it off for an hour or so once mid morning. Again if I have a lunch stop or tourist stop over 30 minutes, and again late afternoon; I can usually get through a 14 hour day. Even a 16 hour day without too much "down time" (unit off).
    But when you need . . . you NEED it. Thus, the juice pack in the pocket. It will charge the Cardo and the inReach both for several days of back country camping and riding.
    draco_1967 likes this.
  9. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those linked in #1987 have been out of stock. Which one did you get, bmw?
  10. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I am away from home and can't get the info at the moment. I purchased mine on Amazon. The illustrations clearly showed all the USB wires and not just the positive and negative charging wires.
  11. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No issues updating 2 units using my Macbook Air. And no issue selecting my year of birth or the email verification.

I am laughing as the update addresses issues with Siri......when I had several email exchanges with them concerning my Hey Siri open mic, leave me hanging problem, they made the reference that it was unheard of and no firmware updates were coming.....that was 2 months ago....lol
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  12. fmhrider

fmhrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New Cardo update 5.10 seems to fix the open bubble for the "Hey Siri" command , open bubble, while trying to dictate texting and some other commends
    Good news
    Candubrain likes this.
  13. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Sena 20s I used to use had a cool feature that let you hear what's going on outside the helmet via a microphone in the unit called "Ambient mode". Its very useful, e.g. National park entrances, gas stops, Border Patrol ect.

My Cardo slim (and I believe the Bold) does not have this feature. What if they used the microphone in your phone to hear what's going on outside your helmet. The idea is to go into a mode where what's coming into the phone microphone is played into the Cardo speakers or ear buds.

I tried using different IOS apps designed to amplify what comes into the microphone but was not able to get the sound to play on the Cardo speakers.

Cardo are you listening??? This seems like a software doable upgrade.

Jon
  14. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I used an app for the hearing impaired, and it worked pretty well. I haven't used I in a while though, so maybe something changed with an update?
  15. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Won’t change on mine either. They need to fix that. I’m not clicking to get back to 1971. No way. That’s ridiculous.
  16. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    I've seen it called "sidetone". I've suggested it to Cardo via email and Facebook. Continue to suggest it to them by the same methods (they don't read this forum) and hopefully they'll consider it.
    That's ridiculous that anyone would give them their real DOB. :confused :jack
    AuldPhart and JMforPres like this.
  17. AuldPhart

AuldPhart Permanoob

Oddometer:
    This bears repeating. If it's not required for government/tax purposes, or to qualify for credit, there is no reason for any entity (including this forum) to have your real date of birth.

Highly recommend that folks choose an alternate that's easily remembered instead.

Back to Cardo stuff....I've not yet run the update. I don't have iOS and am curious if any Android folks have observed any performance improvements.

I picked up a brace of Slims over a year ago and have to say that the experience with fellow Cardo owners has been disappointing, both in range and ease of use.

The amateur and commercial radios I've used outside motorcycle helmets have created unreasonable expectations I guess.
    HAL 9000 likes this.
  18. macuaig

macuaig Back in the Saddle

Oddometer:
    I’m extremely disappointed to find that it’s now normal when buying a six pack at two national supermarket chains (Virginia) to not only view but actually scan the data strip off my drivers license. (And I’m over 60.) Protecting their legal irresponsibility at my security expense, big surprise (and one of them recently announced a massive data breach, of course). I recently thought to refuse, which only triggered a manager override, but I doubt that’s possible with a scanner-holstered bagger at curbside pickup. I’ve recently realized I don’t buy beer and wine much anymore, bastards.
  19. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who exactly are you worried about knowing you like beer?
    stk0308 and EmmEff like this.
  20. SwiftTone

SwiftTone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have experience with connecting 2 devices to the Packtalk Bold? I'm looking to connect one smartphone and another to a bluetooth transmitter that is connected to the audiojack of a radar detector. If I listen to music from the phone will I be able to hear my radar simultaneously?