Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't tried it as my RD has no Bluetooth, but I'd try pairing your second Bluetooth device as a GPS. If you set the audio right the GPS (your RD) should override the Music when you get an alert.
    '
  2. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have my phone bound as "phone 1", and my GPS bound as "phone 2", as suggested in the manual. If I'm listening to music and my GPS wants to tell me something, my music stops, the GPS tells me whatever it is it wants to say, and then the music resumes.
    V-Tom likes this.
  3. The Cone of Silence

The Cone of Silence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First ride out yesterday using my new Cardo Packtalk Black inside a Nexx Wed2 carbon helmet. Speakers are AMAZING and playing music is what I want this device for mostly. I changed the language settings so now Cardo understands my hybrid English/ Australian accent BUT I found that singing along to songs can cause issues....in one song Cardo mistook my appalling singing voice for a command to switch over to FM radio so I had to stop and change back to phone music (coudn't remember the voice command) and another time it went to the next song without me wanting it to.

Nothing insurmountable. Can't believe how good those speakers are.
    heatmizr and fredz43 like this.
  4. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Have you listened to the 40mm set to compare to your 45mm's?
  5. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    I have plenty of listen on both, one of my helmets has the 40’s the other the 45’s. I honestly don’t notice much of a difference between the two.

The reason i have the 45’s is the second helmet kit does not come with JBL speakers. I don’t think i would spend the money to upgrade 40’s.
  6. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Android phone app in "settings" includes a slider labelled "Voice recognition sensitivity". I'm not perfect at guessing what these sliders do, but there's a chance that this slider changes how precisely you need to pronounce commands.
    The Cone of Silence likes this.
  7. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Use the new microphone mute feature when you feel the urge to sing along. I love this new feature. We have one guy in our group who just can't help himself.
  8. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Alex

Oddometer:
    I have my iphone and my Garmin Montana 700i paired to the Packtalk Bold. I listen to music while riding and the GPS cuts in when it is giving navigation instructions. I assume yours would probably do the same.
  9. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Be very careful. I used to use my Moto X4 with the USB cable plugged in in the rain (with the phone in portrait mode, so with the USB cable facing downward), and it seemingly worked fine for a while.

And then one rainy day at the end of a ride I caught a whif of burning plastic and metal, and found my USB port melted due to water ingress.

That is why I swapped out my charging method to wireless.
  10. stk0308

stk0308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might consider getting some "dust caps" or rubber plugs to go in the USB port as well, if you case doesn't already have it. That's what I'm doing with my Pixel5 on a Quadlock waterproof wireless charging head. Just to be sure.
  11. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    I switched to a dedicated DFP for nav on the bike, in a Perfect Squeeze Juiced.
  12. SwiftTone

SwiftTone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I gave it a try. My Samsung phone pair as "phone 1" and my radar with BT transmitter paired as device 2 as GPS. I am able to pair both successfully but it's not functioning correctly. I can hear music from "phone 1" but no sound from the radar until I press the phone button on the BT transmitter. After I press the phone button on the BT transmitter my music from "phone 1" cuts out and I'm able hear the radar. For me to be able to hear my music again I have to press down on the wheel, my music resumes but I can no longer hear my radar.

This is the transmitter I got: amazon.com/gp/product/B0866Y33PL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

help?
  13. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Alex

Oddometer:
    So to be clear, my Phone is paired with the device as a phone, and my GPS is paired as a GPS. There is a distinction in the pairing process. I don't know that you can get audio from two "phones" simultaneously. (I could be wrong here)

Below is from the manual section on pairing:

To pair Bluetooth channel 2 to another Bluetooth device: 1. Enable Bluetooth on the device (for example, your mobile phone, GPS device, or music player). 2. On the unit in standby mode, press for 5 seconds. The LED flashes red and blue. 3. Tap twice. The LED flashes red and green. 4. If you are pairing a GPS device, roll the control wheel inward. The LED flashes slower. 5. On the device you are pairing, search for Bluetooth devices. 6. When your PACKTALK BOLD appears in the list of available devices, select it. If prompted for a PIN or Passkey, enter 0000 (four zeros). The device confirms that pairing has succeeded and the LED flashes purple for 2 seconds. ● If pairing is not completed within 2 minutes, the unit automatically returns to Standby. ● If you have paired two different mobile phones directly to your PACKTALK BOLD, set one as default for making calls (see Setting the Default Mobile Phone on page 25). ● Not all Bluetooth mobile phones broadcast Bluetooth Stereo music (A2DP) even if the phone has an MP3 player function. Consult your mobile phone’s user manual for more information. ● Not all Bluetooth GPS devices allow connection to Bluetooth audio devices. Consult your GPS User Manual for more information.

Maybe try pairing the RD as a "GPS" instead of the second phone pairing slot? Sorry if this isn't much help, just a thought. The way mine is set up, I get music, calls, etc. from my phone, and the GPS cuts in with nav instructions. No extra buttons or effort on my part.

Link to the manual:
    https://www.cardosystems.com/wp-content/uploads/guides/manual/en/packtalkBold.pdf
  14. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I had occasion to test the strength of Cardo's mounts last Sunday. Had a pretty bad crash, but the Palktalks stayed on both mine and my partner's helmets (mind you, we both managed to impact on areas away from the mounts). She then was able to use the intercom system to easily talk to emergency services without taking her helmet off, like a good crash victim.
    AdventureTrail and bigjohnsd like this.
  15. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well that's unfortunate! Glad you are able to post this today and hopefully not too badly banged up.
    I've taken a lot of off-road tumbles with my Cardo and never had it pop off or loosen. It's a good mounting system.
    AdventureTrail likes this.
  16. FDHog

FDHog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cardo Bold works great with my Zumo XT. Voice recognition is another story. I can't get it to do a damn thing right. I don't even try anymore.
    I can control everything through the Zumo.
  17. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Alex

Oddometer:
    Hope the both of you are ok.
  19. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    Cross-posting this from another thread...

Well I just had the dreaded USB socket detachment from my Packtalk Bold circuit board. All I did was pull the charging cable out, and the socket came with it.

[​IMG]

Warranty is going to get interesting, as I bought these as Amazon Warehouse deals, so I'm not the original owner. I might end up having to buy a new one, ugh.

I would solder a new one one, but I'm not overly confident in my soldering skills for really small stuff like a USB socket.

All this to say be very careful with your PTB and charging cables.
  20. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    If warranty won't fix it, you might as well try soldering.

What's the saying? If she's already completely fucked, you can't fuck her worse.
    bigjohnsd, Grinnin and rider1150gsadv like this.