Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    I hate those micro USB connectors. So far I've not broken them on my Cardo, but I handle them like glass connecting and disconnecting. I have a large bluetooth speaker with a little tiny micro USB jack for recharging it. It's broken twice, so far replaced under warranty both times (thankyou Costco) and now I've added a magnetically attached adapter. I can see the motivation for using these micro delicate connectors on tiny devices, but why on a BT speaker that weighs several pounds. Ridiculous.
  2. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I can't remember the dozens of different button pushes on the unit to effect different commands, so just avoid that. (other than the roller for volume). Just too much going on there.

When gearing up for a ride I typically put my phone music app on Random, then turn on bike and Cardo, and it all connects and plays. I use handlebar controls to pause/FF the songs as needed.

The other day I tried switching to FM just for the heck of it. I pressed the front button once, which I was correct in that it turns on the FM Radio. Well, it worked, but I could hear my phone music playing in the background too! I had FM on AND my phone music at the same time. Crazy. (The FM volume is 300% higher than the phone app volume even maxed on phone for some reason).
    At that point I was really confused as to how to switch back to the Phone music only. I guessed by trying to hit the forward button again, or 2x... I got diff stations. Eventually I launched the Cardo app on my phone and hit STOP on the FM Radio control page. (Now I see on the Quick reference guide you need to PUSH IN the Roller bar to shut FM off).

I also don't like how the Cardo app music player (does it even have a name?) is the default to the unit button commands, when I never use it. I have to use the phone and/or handlebar controls for my on-phone music app.
  3. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Within the app you can assign your music player app. (spotify, google music, and some other options)
  4. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Yes, but you can only choose the Cardo Connect player, Spotify, or OTHER. My non-streaming music player app (plays local phone music only) is not listed, so it's an 'Other'. It has a note saying functionality may be limited for 'other' sources.
    So it isn't clear if all the audio controls using various button presses even work for 'Other' apps. Maybe if I tape the Quick Guide sheet to my tankbag, I can try some. Cuz I sure as hell can't remember which buttons to push.

I just tried the built-in Connect player, but it doesn't display the on board music files in any specific order - not by artist, nor song name. And it just plays them sequentially, no Shuffle / random that I can see. It has a search, but I can't be searching shit while riding. Oh well, back to 'Other'.
  5. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't see it in the Cardo Connect App, or the literature, or their YouTube channel.
    Can you direct me to that setting?
  6. Zubb

Oddometer:
    I have to open my preferred music app (my iPhone Music app, Pandora, Spotify, Podcasts) before "Hey Cardo play music". It would be nice to just default to Pandora unless I manually select something else. I can't find where to select this...
  7. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I pretty much never use the buttons. I use voice control if I want to listen to the Cardo FM radio, either "Okay Google" or the "Voice Call" function on my Garmin Zumo XT and ask to play either something on Spotify or listen to Tune-In radio.

..Tom
    fredz43 likes this.
  8. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i'm at work right now, but i'll get that for you tonight.
    Zubb likes this.
  9. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cardo took care of me on this issue recently. Recharging had become unstable, the red charging light flickering when I plugged into the now shaky USB port. I was not the original purchaser as I split a duo pack with another rider. I was able to get proof of purchase from Revzilla and Cardo did a pretty quick exchange, sending me a new unit as soon as I provided tracking for sending them my faulty one. If you are within two years and you have proof of purchase, your chances are pretty good.
  10. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    In the music page within the app, you'll see two little icons at the top right. It's the one on the left, the concentric circles with a triangle on the bottom of them.
    Yeah, I guess that means source??
  11. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Thanks. The right icon lists all songs on my phone by title so I can search a song. The left icon allows me to select Apple Music or Spotify. No Pandora or other sources.
    I can live with that. I'll just have to dig into Spotify more and become more of a power user.
  12. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Right. The controls may be configured for Spotify specifically, but MAY also work on other players. Someday I will test.
  13. freebird6

freebird6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hunh....did not know the Moto X4 could be charged with wireless charging. Welllll. Now I have to look up charging options. . Been wanting to do that.
  14. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    It cannot do wireless charging, I had to get a new phone. Then I bought a Kyocera DuraForce Pro specifically for nav, which does do wireless charging.
  15. Watchwldr

Watchwldr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am having trouble pairing my garmin Zumo 396 to my PTB. I use an iPhone 12.
    A couple of weeks back I attended the IMS show in Carlisle, Pa., and a very helpful young lady at the Cycle Gear setup helped me to get it all correct but now I can't get voice commands over the PTB, and I promise the only thing I have done is to shut the bike off and have not messed with any of the settings. She said something about pairing the Garmin with the iPhone, and the iPhone to the Cardo, but I just can't figure it out. Can someone please walk me through it, or point me to a post that does? I'm sure this has been beaten to death here, but I am admittedly dense when it comes to these things. Thanks!
    I did just now update the PTB, but that was after the problem came up. I know it's me, but maybe someone can help me out here. I have tried to follow along with Pack Talk's tutorials but that got me nowhere.
  16. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look at your quick start, use the settings to pair your Garmin as the GPS.
  17. Watchwldr

Watchwldr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try it.
  18. Nomadic_adv

Nomadic_adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With iOS 15 update for my iPhone XS Max, I was getting the headphone safety notification that stayed on the screen with PTB use. I wear earplugs so have the PTB at a higher volume most of the time.

I disabled "reduce loud sounds" in headphone safety but that didn't solve the notification appearing.

With Bluetooth enabled, in My Device I clicked the info button for my PTB device and changed Device Type from Headphones to Other which disabled the headphone safety notification. One problem solved anyway.

Even with recent update to latest firmware, I still experience issues with Cardo Packtalk Bold dropping Bluetooth connection with iPhone and will probably have to open a ticket with Cardo. PTB will usually do this several times, very annoying and time consuming messing with PTB, closing apps, disabling Bluetooth and airplane mode then trying again.

Siri through full face helmet mic is almost useless while riding now as well. Used to work well when unit was new and have moved the mic around a few times with no difference. I've disabled and re-enabled Siri to go through the voice process with no real benefit.Again, disappointed having to spend a lot of time tinkering before getting on or back on the bike and frustrating when the problems occur while riding.
    Zubb likes this.
  19. DaveCR

DaveCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys.

New issue.

iOS 15 but also happened before with previous iOS.

1. Spotify won’t play in the cardo packtalk. Sometimes I need to go to Bluetooth and disconnect the cardo and connect again. Or I have to power reset the cardo unit. It’s odd cause the iPhone shows its playing on the cardo but it’s not. When this happens I can ask Siri questions and she replies. It’s just Spotify that seems disconnected.

2. Sometimes I hear “mobile phone 1 disconnected” and “mobile phone connected” several times. I don’t have anything else connected to the cardo so it’s strange.

Cardo packtalk has the latest fw. Wondering if someone is experiencing the same.

Thanks.
  20. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Yes. These exact problems drove me nuts for several months. Latest updates have resolved them mostly. still getting the loud noises warning on my iPhone which aggravates me.
    DaveCR likes this.