1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. tmEvol

tmEvol Searching for the perfect bike

Oddometer:
    I haven't talked to Cardo about it yet.
  2. Xyphon112

Xyphon112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is probably out there somewhere, but I was wondering if anyone has used the Packtalk in helmet speakers with ear protection? I hate riding without earplugs and would like to be able to hear the music/calls/etc at highway speeds. Anyone know if it works well?
  3. bicyclenut

bicyclenut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently used the Packtalk Slim on a 950 mile trip with my cousin. About 200 of it was listening to music and voice directions from phone before and after we met up and the rest was backroad and highway intercom. Speeds up to 85 or so on Interstate and wearing NoNoise earplugs and I could hear intercom and music fine. I thought sound was better than my Sena and ability to adjust volume or turn off and control music as needed with voice command was better experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    GrusMC and BruceWA like this.
  4. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    I concur. The Packtalk audio overcomes ear protection just fine.
    GrusMC likes this.
  5. Xyphon112

Oddometer:
    Nice. Thanks all.
  6. AussieRider123

AussieRider123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the original Packtalk but moved to a Sena 20S as the volume on the Packtalk was too low when I would wear earplugs. Judging by some of the comments in here it looks like Cardo may have increased the volume, or started supplying louder speakers.

The native voice feature looks very good so looks like I'm going to switch back
  7. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    One thing that keeps throwing me off is that there’s no indication that Hey Cardo has been picked up - I’m so used to listening for the little “ba-beep” from Siri indicating that it’s active. Hey Cardo you just throw the whole command out there and it works.
  8. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    As long as it's the right command (there's a list in the user manual) then yes. It just works. Kind of cool. I was apprehensive as well, but I must say it has surprised me with how well it works.
    BruceWA likes this.
  9. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went for a nice ride today and it was greatly enhanced by having tunes the whole time. Next step will be to get my new TomTom Rider 550 hooked up.

I need to check my iPhone settings, I think I remember a way to set up a Bluetooth source to be a trusted item so the phone will stay unlocked. Got a couple texts, but Siri wouldn’t read them out because my phone was locked.
  10. DistortedAxis

DistortedAxis GO

Oddometer:
    Former Sena user here. I switched camps due to a failed warranty claim on a Sena 20S. That said, I never could get the Sena to work right. Seems like I spent more time troubleshooting and dealing with resets and firmware updates than actually using it. Enough was enough.

I just picked up 3X Pactalk Slim Devices.

I installed them on:
    -Shoei Neotec II
    -TLD SE4 Carbon
    -Klim TK1200 Karbon (had to modify the stitching on neck curtain slightly)

It was this video that convinced me to switch camp.

I didn't like the button configuration on the original Packtalk or the new Bold. It was the primary deterrent when I made my fist Sena purchase in 2015. When Packtalk came out with the
    the new SLIM device, the button layout was much different however. I found the buttons on the slim device to be easy to use and find. They are well defined -- even with the fat nubs I have for fingers.

I'm sad to report back that I had two failures within 24 hours. One of the slim devices turned off and will not turn back on. It will not respond to charge or reset. According to the Cardo rep some of the slim devices have a faulty charge circuit and will not recharge once the battery dies. The range falls between a specific serial range and mine fell within that category so back they go for replacement.

The second failure was more of a defect rather than failure. One of the boom microphones had a faulty wire / connection which caused an intermittent short. The wire has a slight "kink" to it and was visible when removed from the packaging.

Cardo wants me to return this unit directly to them, but I'm afraid this may take a while. We only have so much good weather here in Canada. Return time is 6-8 weeks through Cardo and I don't think its right I paid $800 for something I can't use... So I'm waiting for my local dealer to respond as I'd like to have them replace my units and let them deal with Cardo or their vendor directly. Waiting to see how it plays out.
    Cuchulainn and Oeths like this.
  11. Xyphon112

Oddometer:
    I got my Packtalk Bold this weekend. Pretty amazing system. I set it up in my Neotec and have had really great success with it, especially after updating the firmwear. Only gripe is that the radio signal isn't terribly strong and sharing music while in BT mode didn't want to work with my phone.
  12. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, care to share how you mounted the Slimon Neotec 2?
    I’m in the midst of choosing Sena SRL and Cardo Slim.
  13. pockomoth

pockomoth Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve had good luck with my Senas S20 and S30. A also have a UClear which was no better, but promised far better audio quality. The Sena 20 has a better speaker system, louder and clearer, buttons are easier to use. The 30 I bought with my friends because the promised Mesh was supposed to be so good, but meh. I don’t think we’re all going to switch to Cardo at this point. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  14. MelissaToBeMe

MelissaToBeMe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mesh doesn’t have to be “meh”. It’s frigginawesome with Packtalk. Gotta remember, Sena was scrambling to come up with Something to compare to Cardo’s Packtalk...doesn’t surprise me that it’s half-baked.
    pockomoth likes this.
  15. FurryOne

FurryOne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a pair of the Sena 30K's, and the included speakers are junk! I swiped them out for a set of UCLEAR Digitals - much better.

The mesh seems to work fine here, but I also am attached to a Freewire, which is connected to my H-D's infotainment system, which in turn is attached to my iPhone. In public mesh both 30K's connect to each other automatically.
    I did have a problem with H-D's wireless interface module (WHiM) - when using that instead of the Freewire, the 30K wouldn't go into mesh mode.
    pockomoth likes this.
  16. Bunter

Bunter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been touring with the Packtalk slim for the last 2 weeks and have now got the hang of voice commands; if I use a very sketchy American accent it gets it. If I speak normally it doesn't. I'm British. Works very well, with foam earplugs it is on the quiet side but with earplugs which let a little more noise through its fine. Would love to experience bike to bike but haven't found anyone with one yet.
  17. FurryOne

FurryOne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wait a minute here... we don't have an accent... it's you Brits and those Canucks to the North that have accents! All we did is take the English language and dumb it down enough so rednecks that never went to school could understand it. :rofl
    Bunter and GrusMC like this.
  18. GrusMC

GrusMC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :imaposer:beer
  19. zetabird

zetabird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    haveing family from kentucky, (no offense intended to anyone from there) and living in a fairly rural area....your not far off lol
  20. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Anyone succeeded in getting navigation audio from a Garmin 276cx through a Packtalk?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk