Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. J-Dash

J-Dash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll try mesh mode for this when I get home from work today. I have read that Bluetooth mode does not use the battery life up as quickly as mesh mode. So if it's just my wife and I, I was going to stick to Bluetooth. Plus, the instruction packet certainly shows how to share music in Bluetooth mode, but I couldn't get it to work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    StuartV likes this.
  2. Pindadio

Pindadio n00b

Oddometer:
    I just purchased the Packtalk Bold, its my first comms system and it arrived yesterday. I had it on my commute to work this morning, having attached the pads into my Arai Axces 2. It is sufficiently loud for music and calls, but recieving information from the system itself is very quiet, asking it to tell me the battery level I can't make out what the system is saying to me. I'll be using it on the motorway tomorrow with my ear plugs in so will see if its at all loud
  3. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    If it's like the old Packtalk (which I suspect it is), there are separate volumes for everything. The radio volume is separate from the music volume which is separate from the built-in system voice volume. If you can't adjust it through the phone app, try adjusting the volume knob WHILE the voice is speaking the battery level.
    StuartV likes this.
  4. Pindadio

Pindadio n00b

Oddometer:
    Cheers Hal, that did indeed work, now the only thing i'm struggling with is the 'Ok Google' feature. I have just been trying it with the 'ok google, navigate to Newcastle Upon Tyne' to which it replies 'ok, Newcastle Upon Tyne, let's go' and then nothing happens, if I get my phone out it hasn't even opened maps or anything. Will mess around with it for a while this evening.
  5. ubermick

ubermick Long timer

Oddometer:
    That might be your phone refusing to go to Newcastle though, completely understandable.
    V-Tom and StuartV like this.
  6. Pindadio

Pindadio n00b

Oddometer:
    In order to get to Scotland I need to stop in Newcastle or Carlisle, best of a bad bunch... ;)
  7. ubermick

ubermick Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's been a few years, but from what I remember, you stop with your bike in Newcastle, you'll be walking the rest of the way! :)
  8. J-Dash

J-Dash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After doing some more testing this afternoon, here's what I've found out on my Packtalk Bold duo set.

1. You can only share music in Bluetooth mode (full user manual confirms this, and I confirmed it in testing).
    2. When sharing music in Bluetooth mode, you cannot simultaneously intercom/talk. So, you must either both be listening to the same music from the one phone. Or you must press the intercom button, which kills the music, to talk. You can toggle back and forth, but you cannot multitask.
    3. I find the intercom to sound really electronic with background noise and some clicking sounds. Whereas, my Sena 20S (and 30K I owned for 2 days before returning) sounded way more like a normal and clear phone conversation.

I'm super confused as to why Sena was able to multitask with the 20S....and somehow years later, and for much more $$, we somehow can't do this on the Sena 30k or Cardo Packtalk Bold. Both of each mfg's latest offerings. Why would technology go backwards?

I know lots of folks are going to use the mesh mode because they ride in large groups. I also like the voice commands on the Packtalk Bold. However, since I usually ride solo, or with my wife, or with just one or two buddies...I think that the Sena 20S is likely still the best performing unit for my use (in Bluetooth). So crazy to me that the multitasking technology exists, but for some reason, only on an older unit.
    dmulk likes this.
  9. J-Dash

J-Dash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another issue I'm having is that my music does not mute or reduce dramatically when my wife speaks to me over intercom in either DMC or Bluetooth mode. As an example, if volume scale is 0-10 and I have my music at 10, the music only reduces to like an 8 or 9 while I'm talking or while she's talking. Extremely distracting and basically not possible to talk while music is playing.

I played with the settings in the audio mixer within the Cardo phone app, and also played with the parallel audio setting via the PC app. Neither made any difference in the issue.

I'm going to call their support line tomorrow. Not fun spending so much time trying to just do simple things.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    StuartV likes this.
  10. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode about 30 minutes (mostly 55 MPH speed limit highway) to lunch today.

This was my first ride after putting the stock ear flap/foam thingies back in my RF1200 and then positioning the supplied Bold speakers on top of those. It definitely increased the perceived volume. I turned the Bold volume down a couple of clicks (maybe 3 or 4?) for music. The quality was good enough (for ME) that I think I will be pretty content to just use the supplied speakers and my custom molded ear plugs for all but longer rides.

One thing I noticed after redoing the speakers to be closer to my ears: I made the change and tried my helmet on while sitting on my couch. It definitely required me to speak louder to perform a "hey cardo" command. Before, I could just do it in my normal speaking voice. Yesterday, sitting on my couch, I had to make a conscious effort to speak louder. I thought maybe it would be different when actually riding. But, while it did seem a little better on the bike, it still seemed like I had to speaker louder to engage a voice command than what I had to before relocation the speakers. Very strange. I did absolutely nothing with the microphone when I redid the speakers. I just flipped each speaker up out of the ear cup, popped the Shoei ear flap thing in place and then flipped the Bold speaker back down into the same position. Weird.

After lunch, I took a longer way home that was mostly Interstate (70 MPH speed limit), with 10 or 15 miles of 4 lane highway on either end. For this ride, I switched to using my custom earmolds (in-ear speakers). First of all OUCH! When the Bold volume level is set for the supplied speakers and using ear plugs, then you switch to in-ears, it is LOUD. And, since each source has its own volume, every time I switched to a different source, I got momentarily blasted again.

The in-ears do give better sound quality. But, the hassle of plugging in the cord and stowing the excess cord in a jacket pocket means (like I said) I will probably only bother for longer rides in the future.

I talked to my mom on the phone while I was riding home. Some while I was cruising at 65 MPH and some while I was cruising at 80 MPH. Eventually, I lost signal and the call dropped. I called her back when I got home and asked her if she could tell earlier that I was riding my motorcycle while we were talking. She said no. She could tell something was different, but it did not sound like it does when I use hands-free while I'm driving my truck. She had no trouble understanding me. So, WIN. :)

Also, I was able to use "ok google" commands to initiate navigation and to have it play specific Google Play Stations, all while going 80 MPH, and it performed all commands with 100% accuracy. Really, quite impressive, to me, anyway. And it seemed like I did NOT have to speak loud (as for a "hey cardo" command) to initiate a Google command.

This riding was all on my 1290 SA(T), with the windscreen in the lowest position.
  11. Dasa Raghavan

Dasa Raghavan n00b

Oddometer:
    Packtalk Bold ... one week old. The DMC quit on me. Bluetooth works. Device cannot be recognized on the PC. Did a factory reset on it a few times. Bought it from Cardo directly. Emailed support. Contacted them on social media as well. No response. (Interestingly the Cardo support from South Africa mentioned that they will try to liaison with US on my behalf, tomorrow). Guess the unit is busted. Have to return it.

Product is good, as long as it works! Lesson learned the hard way. This is not an inexpensive product, but definitely not backed by the support.
  12. Marcel Zeist

Marcel Zeist Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My buddy and me both have a brand new Packtalk Bold. The maximum distance in DMC mode, in open field, line of sight, seems to be only (maximum) 500-600 meters. Our old G4 did at the same spot about 900 meters. So I wonder, what's the maximum distance you guys get?
  13. massrider

massrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at getting my first BT communicator, I like the idea of the app for setup and the voice commands but I'm concerned that it might be too much tech for a newbie user, what do the users of the Palktalk Bold think? I don't ride in big groups, typically 0 to 4 other riders and not with a pillion. Another question, would you purchase directly from Cardo or from a reseller such as Revzilla that has them 15% off? I'm wondering If buying direct might offer better support on a warranty claim if there was an issue, Revzilla won't take returns on electronics after they are opened, how are they on returns on defective units?
  14. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Packtalk Bold shipped yesterday. :clap:y0!
  15. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    From Revzilla?
  16. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes indeed. Was preorderred but I didn't make the previous cut.
    TIGERRIDER007 likes this.
  17. ubermick

ubermick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Goddamnit. Seems like I'm in the same boat you were a month ago. Just got this from Revzilla in response to me asking them why it didn't ship as promised:

Cardo finally shipped some PackTalk BOLD Headsets to fulfill pre-orders. Sadly they did not have enough to satisfy all the pre-orders we had for these units, which is why your order has not yet shipped out in this case. If the next shipment batch is the same size as this one was, your order will be shipping out on the next go-around. In this case, that should be in the next 3-4 weeks but hopefully will happen sooner as Cardo is ramping up production and shipping for these units.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Please let us know if we can provide any additional assistance.
  18. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine is still working just fine... I finally had to charge it (after the full charge when I first received it) this week.... I think it beeped while I was riding. But, when I said "hey cardo, battery status" it said "battery status 25%". I charged it anyway.

:D
    BruceWA likes this.
  19. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I certainly feel your pain. AT least you didn't get an email from them telling you it had shipped as I did, only to discover, oops, there weren't enough for us to ship one to you.:baldy
  20. ubermick

ubermick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, about four hours after I got the above email, I got an automated one saying it was on the way. Weird tracking number, not a format I’ve ever seen before so... guess we’ll see. Not overly confident, tho! :augie