Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. dmulk

dmulk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This can happen if you have paired / re-paired multiple times while troubleshooting without resetting to defaults. I would try factory resetting (the three button reset) on both units and then pairing again. This usually sorts this issue.

Hopefully future firmware updates will help but I would say there are some limits (bugs) with the Bluetooth protocol stack being used.
  2. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    We'll give it a shot and report back, thanks.
  3. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    for those with the JBL code, are you able to enable/disable this feature, or is it something that gets enabled and cant then the be turned off?

thanks
  4. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i posted this in the JBL thread as well....

as provided by Cardo (since its not in any of their documentation, but this feature has been available since 4.2)

* This new feature will allow you to use your bike’s infotainment system (Such as BMW’s TFT and similar systems) or a 3rd party GPS device, as a connecting platform between the phone and your Cardo unit.

1. Pair cardo to BMW navigator (GPS Mode)
    2. Pair Phone to BMW navigator (uncheck phone calls in the list)
    3. Pair cardo to TFT
    4. Pair Phone to TFT

Still waiting to hear back in regards to doing this with a GPS as the connecting platform. Hopefully their 2 day support doesn't take 14 days again. :)
  5. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Updated the firmware and rode this weekend.
    Intentionally set enough gap a couple of times to get out of range and the units reconnected when we came back to range. So that's good.

What's not good is that the clarity of the reception is not what it used to be. The range seems to have diminished in distance and the quality of the sound is a bit choppy.

We didn't do a factory reset but I figured that we didn't need one with the firmware update. I guess that's the next step(?)
    scottydawg likes this.
  6. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    My Cardo Packtalk Bold died an inglorious death yesterday. The charge recepticle pulled out with the USB charge cord.

The really bad news is I'm half way through a six week trip and 3000 miles from home.
    Cuchulainn, C330F and Gone like this.
  7. Gone

Gone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The USB connector in my March 2019 version of the Packtalk Bold had the connector come loose and recess into the shell, not allowing the male portion to connect and charge. A riding buddy had the same occur on his same aged Slim.

Is this common? Cardo just gave me a new unit, but I don’t want to get that friendly with customer service...if this is going to continue.

The Cardo is far superior to other BT units I have used in lack of fiddliness. You pair, and it works every time.
  8. Jarniscipus

Jarniscipus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK so I just got the bold and it is totally useless for talking, what am I doing wrong? It sounds amazing with my bike off but once I start my bike the engine noise even at idle washes out my voice. Once I start riding the wind and engine completely eliminate my voice from my calls and recordings I am making to my phone. I am using the boom mike in my Bell MX-9 helmet. I know the helmet is not the quetiest but even at idle not moving the engine takes out my voice. Ideas? It is beyond me how anyone could communicate on this thing
  9. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    Make sure that the mic is not turned backwards
    HAL 9000 likes this.
  10. Jarniscipus

Jarniscipus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ah I found two issues, yes the mic is backwards and the lame phone app I was using to record was not recording off the bluetooth headset. Now I have a new problem the packtalk drops bluetooth connection to my phone randomly, which is annoying
  11. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where is your phone, and do you have the antenna extended? It's surprisingly easy to block BT connections with your body; when I have it in an internal jacket pocket, doing a head check would often cut the connection for a moment - extending the antenna fixed that.
  12. Jarniscipus

Jarniscipus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ah, good point, I did not extend the antannae, I thought that was only for the comms. The phone is on my handlebars.
  13. Jarniscipus

Jarniscipus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What about the two microphones - which one sounds best for a full face helmet?
  14. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For full face, the stick on one is probably easiest to use - that allows you to position it away from chin vent airflow.
  15. new2adv

new2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone explain how to connect the Cardo to my action camera? I want to record the conversation over top of the video. I want to capture the conversation in both directions - other riders talking to me, and me to other riders.

I've seen some people do it by connecting two mic's via splitter to the camera and placing them inside the helmet, one near the Cardo mic and one near an earpiece. However I suspect the audio quality might not be very good if it's done this way. I'd like to find a way to connect the mic input on the camera directly into the Cardo.

I have a Sony camera, but if someone has done it with a Gopro I'd love to hear about that too.

Thanks!
  16. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    In my experience (using Packtalks with my riding group), the stick-on is EASIER to install in a full-face helmet, but the boom mic sounds better. My guess is the stick-on mic is farther away from the person's mouth, thus allows more background noise. Or maybe it's how the stick-on mic sits lower on the helmet face, which puts it closer to the wind noise.

Or maybe it's just the ergonomics of my buddy's helmet. But that's my experience, FWIW.
  17. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Wife and I use the boom mic in a full face. Can just tuck it and all wires under the cheek pads.
  18. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)
    I have used the stick on mics in my full face helmets with every generation Cardo including now the Packtalk. My lips are very close to the mic and it works very well there. Recently one of my riding buddies bought an adventure style helmet, with a protruding chin bar and he installed the stick on mic at the very front of that chin bar. I couldn't hear him very well, so he repositioned the stick on mic a bit to the side so that it was closer to his mouth and it worked much better. It has been my experience that if you position the stick on mic properly it works very well and you don't have to mess with the boom mic.
  19. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. I moved the stick on to the side in my XD4 to get away from the various chin vents. Works great.
  20. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Y.Me Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just had this happen with my PackTalk Slim as well. Actually on a replacement unit. My wife and I purchased a Duo Pack last month and my unit never worked properly out of the box. With the original unit if you shut it off for any reason, you could not turn it back on until reconnected with power. It didn't matter how much charge it had remaining. It also sometimes would not shut off at all and I got constant, found my phone, lost my phone, found my phone again messages while riding.

Cardo replaced it, even though it was brand new, with what I have to imagine was a refurbished unit. It came in a white bubble wrap envelope and nothing but the main unit. No accessories, earphone, speakers, etc. Just the main unit.

This refurb replacement unit lasted all of 3 days. I plugged it in once to charge it on Friday for a Saturday ride. Today I plugged it in again to recharge it and update the firmware since I was unable to on Friday due to a site issue. It immediately began to show that the unit was found, lost, found again and eventually a message saying the USB device had failed to connect. I attempted to unplug it and plug it back in again and the sleeve came about 1/8" out of the unit and was loose. The unit wouldn't connect or charge. 3 days old, second time plugged in and dead. WTF Cardo.

They have now offered to replace it this time with a PackTalk Bold unit. I decided to take them up on it. I am hoping the durability is better with the bigger design, though I will miss the thin profile of the Slim that attracted me from Sena to the PackTalk in the first place. After reading the post from @Gone, I am not sure it will make a difference.