Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, bought a used Packtalk Slim from another inmate, supposedly only used on a couple of rides, so I thought I would give it a try and see if it resolves any of the issues I have with my Bold. The main issue was the really crappy audio quality of music with earbuds. I can't get much volume at all without the low frequencies becoming very distorted. Another issue was the poor bluetooth radio that will disconnect if I'm 10' away from the tablet on my bike I have it linked to. So, every time you stop for photos are to take a leak, the music drops. Anyway, The Slim arrived, and it definitely has better audio quality, plenty of volume and low frequencies without distortion. Haven't tested the bluetooth range yet as a problem became evident that took up my evening trying to get it sorted.

The first thing I did was connect the unit to my computer to check the firmware version, which was the current V5.2, I then did a reset to factory defaults, set the settings the way I have my Bold set and installed it on my XD4. Then I thought I would check the battery status, said "Hey Cardo, Battery Status" and got nothing, nadda, zilch. I've checked and rechecked the settings and volumes and it's all set correctly for voice commands. I put it back on the computer and toggled the settings on and off and re-synced, nadda. Tried the mic from my Bold, nadda. So I'm now at a lose and hopping someone here may have been through this and know what to do. I'm going to try to figure out if there is some way to reinstall V5.2 as I did have a weird firmware issue when doing and update with my bold where everything worked except it wouldn't pair to another unit. Mid trip I found a helpful guy in coffee shop that let me use their computer to do an update and it fixed the problem.
  2. miken0vf

miken0vf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mid post says nadda, end of post says fixed, so all good?
    scottydawg likes this.
  3. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m not sure if this is possible. Maybe it it. I have a Packtalk Bold JBL and would like to know also if this is possible. Have been considering buying a GoPro 7 for an event I will be working next month.
  4. shadowarrior

shadowarrior Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got my Packtalk Bold JBL. When I try to play music through the App or Voice commands, it tries play my phone's media files. Is there any way for the Packtalk to launch Spotify by default instead? It plays spotify music if I manually launch it via the phone.
    I have also not updated the firmware after reading through some of the posts here.
  5. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    I screwed up, it is the Packtalk Slim, not the Bold. I'm having trouble finding customer service on their website. Evidently I'm blind as well as old and deaf. :dunno
  6. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    I found the way to contact them, now to wait for a response.
  7. KevinP65

KevinP65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope that your wait for a response is better than my experience because your trip may well be over first. My issue was resolved when contact was made, however.
  8. Scyan

Scyan n00b

Oddometer:
    I have the same exact question as you.. hopefully someone knows ?
  9. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    I don't use spotify but I had the same issue where if I would call for the 'play music' command it would play my internal stored music. What I did to get around it was to call 'OK Google' and ask it to "play music on Slacker Radio" (my go to streaming service) and I have had good luck that way. Doesn't work 100% of the time for whatever odd reason but it works most of the time.
  10. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only works for me when I have a Data or a Wifi Connection on the cell. "OK Google play Pandora" and it works fine, if no data connection I have to start Pandora offline manually then "Hey Cardo - Music On" will make it work. Next Tack feature works fine once running.
  11. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Gemini Man

Oddometer:
    You Cardo guys choose your set over Sena for any specific reason? I'm on the bubble for purchasing one or the other.
  12. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    Mesh technology. I was using a Sena SMH10 with great results. Still use it with my son. But the mesh tech, especially if you're riding with a lot of people, is fantastic. That was the big plus for me.
    MUDHWY likes this.
  13. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Gemini Man

Oddometer:
    Except it has to work! I've been out twice now on group rides this summer where the riders were trying to connect via MESH and after an hour of fooling around couldn't get the units to pair up.
  14. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We’re they using the app, following the directions, and all using Cardo DMC units?
  15. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Gemini Man

Oddometer:
    Yes. Frustration all-around. Not the norm I assume?
  16. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    Certainly not the norm.
  17. shadowarrior

shadowarrior Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could you get "Hey Cardo - Next Track" working if you had Pandora running via Ok Google (and not in Offline mode)?
  18. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    I've got the original Packtalk, but in my experience I have to start Spotify (or whatever app you want for music) manually, play it for a second, and THEN you can use Packtalk to start and stop the music. If you just start with the app or Hey Cardo, it will default to media stored on the phone. I hope that helps!
  19. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been using my Packtalk Bold for several months now. My advice is to forget that the thing has voice commands, and use your phone (or whatever...I use my GPS) to control the infotainment functions. The only command I can reliably get to work over time is 'Hey Cardo <pause> battery status.' This works very nearly 100% of the time, and is nice to have. All other commands are very fickle to the point of being useless. This was incredibly irritating to me until I managed to ignore the possibility of voice stuff and just enjoy all of the other functionality, which is very good.

I know that there are others who have better results with the voice commands. I have tried every combo of high/low sensitivity, and everything from whispering to yelling and everywhere in between. My guess is that I happen to have a voice that the unit just doesn't do well with...which is odd because I have no accent (I sound like a national news anchor), and I have a full voice to the point where about 3 times a year for 35 years I've heard "you ought to be in radio."

Maybe they're referring to my looks. I digress.

Pro tip: My setup is to BT my phone to my Garmin Zumo 595, then BT the GPS to my Packtalk. The Garmin has phone integration so that you can control phone funcitons, including various audio apps as well as calls from it. If you choose 'phone' and then 'voice dial' then pause, this initiates the Google Assistant and you now have full availability of all Google Assistant function (including controlling your phone's music).

Hope this helps.
    shadowarrior, scottydawg and MUDHWY like this.
  20. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find the commands work great, if you're commanding your phone using its built in voice assistant. I don't think I've used the voice commands to the Cardo itself for anything.