Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. slowape

slowape Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up for those having issues updating your Packtalk because it gets stuck with the "syncing, don't disconnect or turn off" window pop-up, and won't actually update the unit or save any changes. I just received an email from Cardo customer service regarding the problem and this was their response, "We are aware of these issues and have been working towards a new platform which should release some time next week" (response received Aug 13th)
    RonkoRider likes this.
  2. scottydawg

scottydawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need a little advice on installation. I have never had a problem installing Sena headsets in a Arai or Suomy helmet however I was just picked up a pair of Palktalk Bolds and was attempting to make a video of my install in a X-Lite 803 helmet. The helmet is not anywhere near as easy to install as other helmets I have done. The plug in cord at the base clamp for the speakers/earphones is really the main head-scratcher at this point for placement. I mostly use a set of custom earphones so I am thinking about removing the speakers. Being used the Sena having the earphones plug directly into the base unit do any of you here have a some inspiration on a good placement of the plug used for the speaker/earphone jack?
  3. scottydawg

Oddometer:

I think I just found a solid answer here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/anyo...n-ear-buds-or-earmolds.1293922/#post-34773243
    bigjohnsd likes this.
  4. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    20180412_200740.jpg

I like this solution from the link posted above, Large Zip Tye around the Cardo Packtalk unit helmet clamp, then several smaller Zip Ties to hold the Jack in place at the bottom of the unit, Jack facing to the rear will assist in preventing H2O intrusion in the rain.

Going to experiment with something similar on the adhesive mount plate as well.
  5. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Later on I revised my installation when I discovered that someone had designed a mount along the same lines that can be 3D printed. It is on Thingiverse - #3598194.

7b446d4c63571f0e13fd7c3c3d4c21f5_preview_featured.jpg

646dd3c3a5054c3c312e247c91869ad0_preview_featured.jpg
    SoilSampleDave, Oeths and scottydawg like this.
  6. ThrottleStop

ThrottleStop Dear Younger Me,

Oddometer:
    How does it work on these helmets?

[​IMG]
    Bors, Davethestick, MUDHWY and 2 others like this.
  7. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Even the bike has a helmet! Safety first!
    MUDHWY and scottydawg like this.
  8. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    I am really liking the Packtalk Bold. Scala replaced the Slim with the Bold when I returned the Slim for the defective USB plug. Works much better for me.
    dietDrThunder likes this.
  9. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does the Bold ver have a 3M mount option? I've been using the Q3 for years but will be getting a new system in the near future and the Bold is the top of the list.
  10. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes.
  11. Wyatt7805

Wyatt7805 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The land of the Plenty, Central Australia
    Hi all,

I am looking for some advice on what I am doing wrong. I have the Pack Talk Bold duo and am trying to configure on an R1250GS. I am having problems with the Pack Talk unit. I pair my TFT to it but it then doesn't go back into standby so that I can pair the Nav to it. Is there a way of getting the unit back into standby (slow flash of blue LED)? Mine stays in com mode (double flash blue LED) and if you hold down the phone button for 5 seconds as the manual states - nothing happens.
    I have completed the latest firmware update, read the manual 6 times and looked at the you tube clips. I must be missing something but can't find what it is.

Thanks in advance for any advice
  12. scottydawg

Oddometer:
    I suggest you check out this post (I know it is Sena but it should be similar for the Cardo): https://advrider.com/f/threads/bmw-gs-gsa-tft-megathread.1378643/page-15#post-38267138

And watch this video (at least the end of it):
  13. Fastman

Fastman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just went through this last night on my new R1250GSA. I cleared all connections on the TFT, Nav VI, Packtalk Bold and iPhone. I then paired the Packtalk Bold <> TFT and got stuck because the TFT wouldn't "release" the Packtalk; I couldn't even turn it off. I had to shut down the bike and wait until the Packtalk Bold announced it had disconnected. At that point, I could turn it off. I then powered up the Packtalk Bold and the bike and continued with the process of pairing the Nav VI to the Packtalk Bold (as a GPS on the mobile phone 2 channel).

My one remaining frustration with the system (TFT <> iPhone <> Nav VI <> Pacltalk Bold) is that I have thousands of songs I converted to .MP3 on a microSD card in the Nav VI. While I hear the turn-by-turn audio (and the annoying SmartLink alerts), I have yet to find a way to play the music on the microSD card. That said, since updating my iPhone with all my music, it's a "limitation" I can live with.
    Wyatt7805 and scottydawg like this.
  14. Wyatt7805

Wyatt7805 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The land of the Plenty, Central Australia
    Thanks Fastman. I was worried turning off the bike and disconnecting completely would disrupt the overall pairing method with the system which appears to be very order specific.

Surely there is a way to direct the Packtalk unit back to standby mode or is it a case of simply not touching any buttons after the initial pairing and after 2 minutes the unit will revert automatically back to standby mode.
  15. Fastman

Fastman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While it worked (sort of), I’m not sure the brute force method was the best way to back out. I’m going to reset all the connections and try again as the overall system was not behaving well on a couple of brief errands today. Every time I started the bike, the PB quickly paired up with the Nav VI. But TFT<>PB and TFT<>iPhone were not automatic. I had to shut down/restart the bike for the TFT to connect to the PB. Later, after a stop, the TFT wouldn’t pair up to my iPhone even when I “commanded” it to pair via the menu and WW. I’ve noticed that in general, it seems to take an inordinate amount for the TFT Bluetooth system(s) to fully wake up and start connecting. It’s pretty cool when everything is playing together, but distracting and frustrating when not.
  16. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    MI think they all act like this. My solution was to pair the 1st device (doesn't matter what it is), then turn that device off, wait for the disconnect, then go to the process for pairing the second device. This has worked every time I've tried it.

On a mostly unrelated note, I've noticed that my overall connection quality seems to degrade over time, and only clearing out all of the pairings and starting fresh fixes it (which it does...fix it). In general it's annoying how buggy and unreliable these things are. I paired my phone to my truck when I bought it in 2017, and i haven't touched it since...works perfectly. There is no good reason that the Packtalk/bike solutions are not as reliable.
    tsak8 likes this.
  17. Watje5

Watje5 CBR600F rider

Oddometer:
    I have been lurking this thread for some months now, and thought it was time to share my experiences with the Bold :)
    (its lengthy, summary: we love the bolds ;-) )

I just had a long trip, 4 days traveling in Germany, with 5 friends. All 6 of us using Bold-JBL's for the first time (on a long trip) after using PMR and LPD systems for a decade or so.

When choosing headsets we have been looking for systems suitable for our group of 6, so initially looked at Sena 30k's and later also to the Bolds. We have a long trip every year, but decided in 2018 to hold on to the PMR system for a little longer because we wanted to see how the mesh systems were experienced by other riders. This thread was 1 of the reasons to choose Cardo and not Sena, and we are happy we did that :)
    Some of us (including myself) ride daily, so I installed the Cardo months ago, using it for radio and music. Worked fine, although radio reception does require a powerfull radio station. Local stations with low power are hard to receive on the Bold.
    Using the Hey Cardo commands is working good (enough) for me, still using the 5.0 firmware. I guess I have a success ratio of about 80%, most issues I have are when standing still, dont ask me why...

Last week we grouped with the 6 of us. Paired 3 units a week earlier, paired the rest a day before we left for Germany, and when we joined all 6, 1 needed to re-join the group, but that was done in seconds. After that... we had 4 days without any joining-issues. At each break the units where shut off. And after each break the units reconnected without issues. We have a mixture of firmwares in our group, 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2.
    The reports in this thread about some reconnect issues were reason not to upgrade, but some in the group already had done that. I was still at 5.0 because 5.1 was a voice-command improvement while I was happy with how 5.0 worked on my Dutch English accent.

4 of us were using the mic on a stick, and on occasion some of them where hard to understand, but after twisting the mic a bit that was solved, it did appear to be a returning issue after getting the helmets off and on.

The maximum range between units was a bit lower than our previous boosted PMR sets, but still more than enough for our group. The Mesh system ensured that the reception from start to tail of the group was perfect. When driving in dense forests we did ran into range issues when the distance between the bikes became a few hundred meters. Also rain / moist weather seemed to have a negative affect on the range.
    But when we did loose connection with 1 or 2 and the end of the group in such conditions... reconnection was done automatically each time they came back in range.

Battery life was more than enough for a day. Most had only the cardo and ended the day with 50 - 75% of Battery left. 1 had a Garmin BT navigation paired and occasionally also music from his phone, and he ended 1 or 2 days with 25% left. He did change the VOX sensitivity to low. On a test ride the week before, we noticed that the navigation system was so loud on the speakers that it triggered the VOX.
    About that Vox... we have been running PTT for a decade, so we really missed that when choosing a system. Both Cardo and Sena do not support it. We were afraid that every sneeze and the occasional swear would annoy us, but in the end after 4 days of use... we never want PTT again... Because every laughter, sneeze and swear is heard, we had a much more active conversation during the ride, and also were much faster in alerting on upcoming "dangers". One thing we knew we would not miss is the "no wires" aspect. Our PMR set was helmet-set + seperate radio + seperate PTT button + wires... No more wires was very welcome!
    So all in all.... we love the Cardo's! Only range is less than (we) hoped, but not less than expected..
    eddyturn, yoohah, Oeths and 6 others like this.
  18. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I feel the answer is obvious to my question, but I’m going to ask it just because I’m paranoid. If I buy a current packtalk bold, it will pair with my older standard packtalk, right?
  19. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Via BT without issue, using DMC if your older one supports it as well.
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  20. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    It does, so that’s perfect.