Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are using Narvar for tracking software, I also had not seen it before. The shipper, in my case, is USPS.
  2. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. GotFog

GotFog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anybody compared the Bold versus the Slim. What are the advantages/disadvantages? Seems the Slim would be aerodynamically quieter, but the battery pack in back, what issues does that cause?

Are the batteries themselves replaceable within the units?

For those of us that wear ear plugs and use the speakers, how is battery life affected, versus running through a set of ear buds?

Thanks for your insights.
  4. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I talked with an engineer at Cardo about the Slim back when I was researching these things.

The Slim is basically very similar to another model they have been offering. Yes, it is more aerodynamic but the PTBold is pretty slim too. The issue with the Slim for me is that it attaches to the helmet but is not designed to snap off for charging. You must set you helmet near the charger when charging the Slim's battery.

I'm glad I bought the Packtalk Bold. I am becoming somewhat addicted to the voice command feature of the new Packtalk Bold.
    tmEvol, BruceWA and GotFog like this.
  5. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good review and well written. My Packtalk Bold should arrive today.
  6. ubermick

ubermick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine just arrived - seems like it wasn't fake shipping info after all. Hooray!
    StuartV likes this.
  7. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm still waiting for delivery. :muutt
  8. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They finally arrived. So far that is the only positive thing. Only able to get their website to recognize one unit to register, the Cardo Connect app is a complete disappointment. Will be calling tech support tomorrow. As I said the jury is out, but it doesn't look good for Cardo. After my Sena tech support issues I'm not in the mood for another less than satisifying support. :(:lobby
  9. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well a plus one for Cardo tech support. This morning they contacted me via starting a conversation on this site after reading my post from yesterday. In short, we are all sorted out, one point of note for anyone interested. We used Google Chrome instead of my default web browser Firefox. (I'm a PC user) That made the difference. So in short so far my interaction with Cardo tech support was positive, and my thanks to Mike for solving my dilemma. :clap
    ACR, HAL 9000 and StuartV like this.
  10. ubermick

ubermick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same issue here - I didn't end up contacting tech support over it, but my default browser is Safari on my Mac, and the Cardo web interface didn't like that. Not the first time I've faced that issue, so tried Chrome and it worked like a charm.

Cardo seems to have a small army different smartphone apps - I spent about a half hour losing my goddamn mind trying to get Cardo SmartSet (which is what the regular Packtalk uses) working, until I went to Cardo's site in search of answers, and saw the one to use was CardoConnect. Not as trendy or futuristic looking, but nice and clean and easier to use on the bike.

Utterly shocked at the audio quality. Got everything installed on my Schuberth E1, the speakers are lurking behind the cheek pads, but when I tested some music it was super clear. Noticeably better than the Sena 20s I'd been using. Didn't get to play with it more beyond that, hope to get out on a ride and test out the voice commands and whatnot today or tomorrow.
    StuartV likes this.
  11. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As you mentioned about the multiple apps for different Cardo units, I mentioned that one app that covers all of them would sure be nice, and he didn't disagree. Hopefully in the future they'll rectify this for all of us end users.
    ubermick likes this.
  12. massrider

massrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a PT Bold on its way from Revzilla scheduled to be delivered on the 26th, I have a trip to James Bay leaving the 29th and I'm trying to get as much info as I can ahead of time so I can mount it on my helmet and be ready to roll.
    One (of many to come) question I have is should I install the CardoConnect app (thanks to the post above) on both of my phones? I use one as my every day phone with my music on it (which is in my pocket or tank bag) and the other is my non-service plan GPS only phone which is mounted in a holder on the bike with easy access to it, should the app be on both or just one?
  13. dealy663

dealy663 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Regarding the apps. I spoke with Cardo tech support yesterday about troubles I was having getting everything working on my new GS Adventure w/TFT. The problem was that I was using the app. The tech support guy said that they wish Cardo never even bothered with the app. He suggested not pairing my PTBold to the phone at all and just pairing everything to the motorcycle. Once I did this almost everything was working as expected. However I did have failures when trying to make a phone call. The calls went through but I couldn't hear anyone, and they couldn't hear me. I'll have to do more investigating on this issue today.

Oh I forgot that I haven't been able to test DMC yet, so I can't vouch for that, but do expect it to work though.
  14. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:

IMHO i'd install the app on the second phone as well, might just be a handy alternative.
  15. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    I think you answered your own question there. If your phone isn’t paired to the PT, then you can’t use the PT to talk on the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. ubermick

ubermick Long timer

Oddometer:
    The app isn't without flaws, but it seems to work for me. Playing music on it - it just controls what you already have opened in Music (on the iphone) you can't select a playlist/album/artist. Radio opens the first preset by default, so if you don't have a preset stored there, it gets confused.
  17. dealy663

dealy663 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, just talked with Cardo again. He said that they're aware of the problem with connecting the phone to both the BMW TFT and to the Cardo unit at the same time (which was the main problem I was having). Supposedly there will be a new update next week that should deal with these issues. So no controlling the phone from the motorcycle for me for a while yet.
    FarmerKeith likes this.
  18. TriTi

TriTi Tiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Packtalk Bold shipped yesterday from Revzilla (well, it was drop shipped from tucker rocky really but ordered at Revzilla).

I have to say, coming from a Sena SMH10... wow... it's a new century! Speaker quality compared to the Sena SMH10 is a huge leap forward. Heck the speakers are better than apple earbuds, I know that may not be saying too much better the speaks are pretty fantastic for being thin helmet speakers.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll test out the bluetooth and the DMC some with a buddy.
    FarmerKeith likes this.
  19. rddrappo

rddrappo n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey, I’m new around here. Didn’t see an intro thread anywhere so I’ll just jump right in. I picked up my PT Bold yesterday from Cycle Gear and put it in my helmet. Pretty impressive unit, but I can’t get the mic to work very well. No matter what I do it sounds real quiet and far away on the other end. I tried both mic setups that came in the box, even used a spacer to put it closer to my mouth. Does anyone know to how to make me louder?
  20. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    There's a yellow triangle (or some sort of indicator) just below the mic to indicate which side is the front. That icon has to be pointing at your mouth. And the mic itself has to be RIGHT BY your mouth, to the point that if you stuck your lips out you can touch it. If it's any further away than that, it treats you as background noise and tries to filter you out.