Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. canyncarvr

canyncarvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the delineation.

Still, your V5.3 updated unit worked with cardo community, mine does not.

As many times as I've dealt with similar obnoxious variance on a Cardo unit, it shouldn't stand as any surprise. The firmware/operating consistency of their products is awful. My experience over multiple units anyway.

I am going to request a second replacement unit...and STAY AWAY from V5.3!
  2. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    So...... After reading all 51 pages about this Cardo, I’m not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling that it’s worth jumping off the Sena ship. All I want to do is:

1. Communicate with 1-4 other riders.
    2. Easy, quick paring
    3. Easy, quick re-connecting with others if we separate
    4. Clear, easy to understand transmission
    5. Listen to music (Android phone).

I don’t need the ability to use Siri or Google or some other fancy interface.
    I don’t need to make or receive phone calls or check my email, I don’t have Facebook, Tweeter, Twatter or any of that crap. My phone plan does not have Data.
    I’m not very patient with all this new tech shit, I just want to charge it up, turn it on and not have to play with it.

I’m currently using the Sena 10R, and it works fine just paired up with one other Sena. Start adding more comm’s and everything starts to go haywire - we all know the story. Good friend wants our group to convert to Cardo, but after reading all these posts, it seems that the Cardo is just as hit-or-miss. I’m reading a lot of techno BS hoops folks are jumping through to get it to work, if at all.

So.... are most of the issues in this thread attributed to folks trying to milk the fancy features out of the unit? Will the Cardo just do what I want it to do, without hassle, without this “community” stuff, etc?Will the music interface work with any music app? Also, the unit itself is pretty gangly. Does anyone notice wind drag or noise on the side of their helmet from this thing?

This thread has been very informative, and I appreciate the input shared by all. However, it seems more of it is saying there is going to be a good chance the Cardo is more hit-or-miss than the Sena unless you are fairly tech-savvy and willing to duke it out with the unit, lol.
  3. new2adv

new2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Packtalk Bold is the first motorcycle intercom I've ever owned, and it was dead simple to set up. It's also been rock solid reliable for me.

Yes some people are having problems, but I suspect it's a small number compared to the number of people who are using it successfully.
  4. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I set my Cardo up and have been using it for >1yr without issue. The DMC setup, if everybody has a Cardo, is the easiest, most reliable, and clearest motorcycle communication system per multiple comparative tests. Using the phone app to build the group might take a few minutes the first time you ride, but seems pretty simple.
    bigb1ue and scootertrog like this.
  5. Fastman

Fastman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I upgraded from a Sena 20S in July, 2018 (BMWMOA rally in Iowa). Overall, it's a really great unit. I'm one of those folks trying to wring every bit of function out of it. My sole frustration is being able to get radar detector audio into the mix. My riding buddy still has his Sena 20S, so we don't use the bike-to-bike intercom. Hands free audio control (next track, volume up/down, etc.) is awesome. It's way more refined than my old 20S.
    BruceWA and scootertrog like this.
  6. open1mind

open1mind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "I’m not very patient with all this new tech shit, I just want to charge it up, turn it on and not have to play with it."

Same here... and I was frustrated by 2 earlier versions of Cardo products. Reluctantly, I will say that my new packtalk bold does pair up right away, and very reliably. Night and Day compared to earlier ones- at least for short attention span guys like me.

I have good success with using it with the pillion, and when solo using my phone for music and the rare call.

FWIW
    scootertrog likes this.
  7. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Is it picky which music app you use (I’m using Musicolet)?
  8. Fastman

Fastman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m not sure. I listen to music/playlists stored on my Nav VI or my iPhone through the Nav VI. If the last thing I was listening to on my iPhone was a podcast, I seem to recall it’ll play that if I just hit the play button. I believe it plays the most recently active audio app. If so, you’ll need to first start Musicolet on your phone. I’ll experiment with it (Spotify, Amazon Music, etc.) later today.
    scootertrog likes this.
  9. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For more involved voice commands, yes - but for basic functions that correspond to the hard controls I don't think that should be affected as long as you've already started playing.
    scootertrog likes this.
  10. canyncarvr

Oddometer:
    I agree. My intended use(s) are the same as yours. I HAVE fussed with my last two Bold units for hours just to try to MAKE them perform as advertised. I get irritated.

My experience with the PackTalk Bold would say, 'Don't get one.' I just got the authorization for a second replacement. The reason I did not go Sena this time was its reported failures (that I had read about) when they got damp, or wet. Then again, my Cardo G9x failed when IT got wet (4-5 hour ride in light rain).

To be clear: My problems are the result of an upgrade to firmware V5.3. Support told me that a downrev was not possible, although that very feature was on the cardo community website about a year ago. Honestly...they can't send me a 'one use' link to put my unit back to V5.2? That is a very sad lack of support capability. Also, while I have received initial and a couple of further responses from cardo support, when I have been told the problem has been referred up the chain (to 'the team') for further consideration, I have not once received any further contact!

The Bold unit sounded better (music from a Sansa Fuze) than my previous G9x. I never got the chance to try the Bold unit's intercom feature/function.

If I had found a G9x for sale when mine quit, I would have jumped on it. I found one..on the bay...used...for almost as much money as I spent on the PackTalk Bold. Didn't bite.

Good luck with whatever you choose. While I understand the whole, 'It dilutes the bike ride experience' very well, I have come to like listening to music while riding.
    scootertrog likes this.
  11. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cardo App (for Android) updated last night. It has a new mic sensitivity setting, and other bug fixes. I havent tested it yet. I'll try to test it with my Bold JBL this weekend.
  12. Watje5

Watje5 CBR600F rider

Oddometer:
    Cardo App for iOS was also updated. And 5.3 firmware is now public with release notes on the Cardo website
    (have not used both though, my Bold-JBL is working flawless so will not update until I have a DMC ride with friends... and that will not be for some time)
  13. canyncarvr

Oddometer:
    I already sent my (second) one back for replacement, so can't check it now. The cardo community website did NOT work with the V5.3 on my PackTalk Bold unit. You don't say that's different now I understand, but I wouldn't touch V5.3 with a ten foot pole if the cardo community is something I expect to use with the device.

'Did not work' meaning the cardo website did not recognize the V5.3 unit as being attached to the computer (the cardo ap was running).
    RonkoRider likes this.
  14. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cardo Community site is not intended to work with 5.3. Those settings are all moved to the App.
  15. canyncarvr

Oddometer:
    I got that...after the fact. Found it out all by my own self. Having made it clear (said multiple times to cardo support ) that I had no phone and no intention of using a phone with the PackTalk, why tell me to upgrade my comm unit (in an attempt to fix its foibles) if they knew such an action would render the unit useless to me?

I see the community page has been updated with the location of the 'new' PackTalk update page. Still see not a thing about V5.3 (what you get with the use of the 'new' page) removing the comm unit from accessibility. Such a warning may be further along the update process.

Not a way to run a railroad. Certainly not when the ticket price is close to $300! It's 100% SNAFU.
  16. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found 2 cardo apps for the iPhone; Cardo Connect and Smart Set. What do each of them do? I dodn't see a community app.

Should I update? I bought it in Spring of 2008. How do i update? I have been having trouble with a Sena SR-10 with a CB working properly. I would like to be able to uninstall and re-install this device to the Pactalk Bold in the hope of getting it to work properly.
  17. canyncarvr

Oddometer:
    This is the cardo community page URL:
    http://community1.cardosystems.com/signup?kind=rider#

Cardo support told me that community page is 'going away' because it has 'lots of problems.' If you have read the past page or two of this thread, you are aware of the problems inherent with the V5.3 update.

On the opening page of the above link, there is an advisory to go to different page to update a PackTalk. That is where the V5.3 I got came from. I got that link in an email from cardo support. The advisory window that is on the cardo community page now was NOT there scant days ago, when I was following cardo support steps to rectify the PackTalk problems I had.

I don't follow the '..uninstall and reinstall this device' part. It refers to your CB? Presuming that CB to be a bluetooth device, it would be paired following the pairing instructions of the PackTalk. How a CB would interface with the comm unit, how it would be different from interfacing a phone, I can't say. A CB doesn't operate 'like' a phone. An intercom call would be interpreted as a PTT operation? I have no clue.

Ask cardo support. You can generate a support ticket via this link:

https://www.cardosystems.com/

Good luck.

edit: The smart set app I see on google does not list the PackTalk as a compatible device.
  18. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    PTB syncs to the SR-10 as telephone 2 The Sena SR-10 is hardwired to a portable CB.
  19. canyncarvr

Oddometer:
    One (at least) thing further: Cardo Connect is the app I find that indicates it is to be used with PackTalk. I see it in the google apps store.

I know zero/nada about apps. Phones and me don't get along. I'm going to try an app emulator to see how Cardo Connect will work on a laptop.

As far as your specific situation (talking to jspring), I have no useful information for you as to what will or won't work..thus the suggestion you contact cardo support to see if they can assist you. I don't know what a 'PTB' is or even if it's a thing. Maybe it's a verb! I can tell you what CQ means in amateur radio...and that's about it.
  20. ReddySan

ReddySan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't seemed to get my laptop to detect the my Bold to begin the updates to 5.3. Anyone managed to update successfully?