Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. canyncarvr

canyncarvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which USB device did you uninstall/re-install? I do not see the Packtalk listed as a separate device under 'USB Serial Controllers' or anywhere else in the Device Manager list. That is with the Packtalk plugged into a USB port and whether or not the Cardo Updater (V3.0.1) is loaded or not. The DM page updates when the PackTalk is plugged in as it should when ANYthing of a USB-sort is attached to the system (Windows 10), but I see nothing on the list that changes after that list refresh.

USB devices CAN show up in the list. I have an older Samsung phone running on Verizon that shows up. The Packtalk is not one of those that does show up that I see.

A bit of elaboration would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  2. Marcel Zeist

Marcel Zeist Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think (since 3.01) you'll find it in Device Manager under 'lubusbK USB Devices' not under 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers'

at least that's where the Bold shows up on my laptop (W10-Pro/64)
    canyncarvr likes this.
  3. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to get this thing to update. I think I'm just going to forget that for now until things start to stabilize. What I really want is my Sena SR10 connected to my portable CB to work reliably. I don't care about verbal commands, except Siri. I think I'll just reset to factory and re sync everything. Will there be a problem doing that?
  4. canyncarvr

Oddometer:
    That is curious. I DID consider that listing as an option just 'cuz I didn't know WHAT it was, but it did not show/no-show as the PackTalk was plugged/unplugged into/from the laptop.

**edit** Ooops. :loco That is an error. Sheesh. How did I miss it!!?? I sized the screen to show only the list, plugged/unplugged the Packtalk and did not notice the length of the list change. Clearly, that is the Packtalk...'specially 'cuz it SAYS that is what it is!

Off to try rob's 'fix' to see if it works!

Many thanks!

**edit2** Oh My! What a fuzzy logic mess this is.

While details are important...critical even...I'll leave out most of them due to the snaky nature the complete write-up would take. Just a bit of history first: I have worked with computer hardware/firmware/software for decades...meaning....I made a living doing it. From pre-PC/XT/AT days, from component level repair on HP-Mini system core memory boards, display repair, to multilayer motherboard component replacement on desktops and laptops. The point of saying that is that I am not computer ignorant.

This mess, though...this Scala/Cardo/Packtalk goober is beyond belief.

Some basics: I tried updating the PackTalk driver in Windoze DM (Device Manager) to no effect. There was no update available. Yes, this was under 'lubusbk' as noted by Marcel. I deleted the driver/device. That device did NOT show up again when the Packtalk was plugged in OR when the CardoConnect Windows driver was loaded. That is part of the snaky nature of this. I don't know where the driver came from and am NOT willing to backtrack/repeat all the steps that got me to this most recent state. Maybe that driver in the DM was part of the 'new' driver Cardo listed as part of their new update page? While that driver DOES have the same version number (V3.0.1) as what the 'old' Cardo Community website used, I can't say it IS the same.

Bottom line: I now have access to my PackTalk Bold via the Cardo Community webpage and using V3.0.1 Cardo Connect. NO PHONE INVOLVED. I can change the name of the unit (Cardo tech support said that could no longer be done). That name is voiced on power up (Cardo tech support said that could no longer be done). I have access to features as VOX, RDS, FM presets, etc (Cardo tech support said that could no longer be done). One (of many) strange parts of it: After changing the FM presets via Cardo Community and starting a sync process...the sync did not complete....showed only a whirlygig 'process' indicator and a 'Do Not Disconnect' window. Of course, I disconnected it after about 10 minutes. On reconnect, all the stations were indeed on the unit!

I am ecstatic. THANK YOU rob for the 'lubusbk' input! It saved the day!! Methinks you are a bit more than a 'noob' as is indicated by your odo (post count).

Thanks to Marcel for leading me by the nose to find the damn thing, too!
    Marcel Zeist likes this.
  5. canyncarvr

Oddometer:

Not a 'problem' so much, but be aware of what a full reset does. You lose your FM presets, for example. I do not know if you lose your buddy list. I didn't have one to know about that part. There is a bluetooth reset (short of a full reset) if all you want to do is clear that function.

If using a phone (indicated that is the case), you are supposed be able to run a re-sync as well as you did before.

Updating to V5.3 is fairly straightforward...as Cardo's firmware operation/functionality seems to go. That means it's an unforgiveable nightmare by any reasonable standard. I am not aware of any reason that upgrade is necessary...or even helpful. I wouldn't touch it with a 10-ft. pole knowing what I know now.

Good luck!
  6. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just want to reset my SR-10 connection.
  7. canyncarvr

Oddometer:
    ?? The SR-10 two-way radio adapter, right? The following will remove the bluetooth pairings from the PackTalk, obviously (I hope), NOT the Sena.

Assuming that your SR-10 connection is bluetooth (don't know what else it would/could be), a blue tooth reset will make that connection go away. Best to check the pdf users manual if you have any question about that, but briefly: Referring to the PackTalk pocket guide, find the 'Intercom', 'Mobile' and 'Media' buttons: Those names/function buttons starting at 12 O'clock and moving clockwise. To reset the bluetooth connections: Press 'Intercom' for five seconds, until LED flashes red. THEN, press 'Intercom' AND (same time) 'Media' buttons for two seconds; LED will flash purple five times. Done.

In the pdf manual, that information is at 4.2.3, page 19 of 31.
    jspringator likes this.
  8. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Last fall the local community College started offering a 4cr class titled: Bluetooth Motorcycle Communicators - Navigating the Cardo and Sena cluster fuck. It filled quickly for the spring semester.
    staudio, bigjohnsd and scottydawg like this.
  9. canyncarvr

Oddometer:
    Is that a quote from the syllabus? ;)
  10. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Should be. I feel like I'm computing in the 80s. Remember dip switches? Loading the Autoexbat file high?
  11. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a pleasant experience connecting a Pack Talk Slim to a Sena 10, just me and a buddy. The Sena connected as usual but the Cardo connected as a Bluetooth cellphone. Once connected the sound quality was better than between two Senas. They disconnected at distances but reconnected when we got closer with no action from us.

I don’t know how well this would work in a group.

Jon
  12. canyncarvr

Oddometer:
    That didn't happen 'til WAY down the line...all the way to the 80386, SX or DX! Those were some High Memory times .sis. ...that was a bit of a stretch to no particular purpose...
  13. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    In a situation where just two PTB motorcycle riders are communicating is the Mesh technology being used? I was trying to decide between the Freecom 4+ and PTB and I read there are many reports of the 4+ having frequent disconnects between two riders whereas this is not an issue with the PTB. So I'm assuming they use a different method for rider to rider comms even when it's just 2.

I don't mind spending the extra money on the PTB, even though I won't take advantage of some of it's capabilities, I just want the best system for rider to rider comms without disconnects.
  14. Marcel Zeist

Marcel Zeist Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I *always* use DMC. except when I was riding with a friend because she had an older Cardo 9x. But now she has an PTB too and her voice is much much clearer and we have zero reconnect problems since (between the Cardos that is)
    Ron from BC and tsak8 like this.
  15. tmEvol

tmEvol Searching for the perfect bike

Oddometer:
    I have what might be an odd question for this site, but some of you awesome people might know the answer, sooo...

I have and like my PT Slim for the bike. But we recently bought a Polaris RZR XP4 Turbo side by side and we want to have an intercom system for me, my wife and our daughter. I was thinking about just getting more PTB's for all of us, but my daughter asked if we could listen to music while we rip around, since she knows that I listen to music while on the bike. I know the PTB can do the whole music sharing thing, but from what I can figure out, only in Bluetooth mode and only between 2 users (rider and pillion).
    Is there a way to share music between 3 users ? I'd rather not spend $2k on an intercom system that is limited to the vehicle it's installed in and requires a wired connection.
  16. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    Was your daughter asking if all 3 of you could listen to the same music, or is she looking to listen to her own while still having intercom for conversation?
  17. scottydawg

scottydawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Why not have your daughter connect a iPhone, iPod, Android or other Bluetooth device to the PalkTalk and enjoy her own tunes?
    WJBertrand likes this.
  18. PTJCAL

PTJCAL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, @tmEvol

As it's been said, you can use different audio devices connected independently to each packtalk. That's usually the way to go.

If you would only want to share your music with another (one) person, either you could use the packtalk sharing music feature (as far as I know, in packtalk intercom Bluetooth mode, which is quite limited and dated) or, if your phone has Bluetooth 5, you could use the BT5 dual audio feature (in packtalk DMC intercom mode).

Here's an example of how to use it in a Samsung sleeps phone...
    https://www.howtogeek.com/309091/ho...speakers-at-the-same-time-with-the-galaxy-s8/

Or iPhone...
    https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-share-audio-ios-131/

I hope it's helpful.

Regards
    scottydawg and tsak8 like this.
  19. tmEvol

tmEvol Searching for the perfect bike

Oddometer:
    Good idea !! I didn't think about using 3 phones and just listen to our own music.
    I haven't used DMC mode as my friends I ride with only have older bluetooth-only units (Q3 & G9).
    Can we listen to music at a lower volume while simultaneously talking to each other in DMC mode?
    FWIW, my wife and I have gen 1 Google Pixel's and my daughter has one of our old Samsung S5's that she uses as a "tablet" (no service).
    Thanks again !!
  20. scottydawg

scottydawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes you can for sure listen to music while having a conversation while in DMC mode. Because your daughter has no service to stream music, just copy music she wants onto her tablet and it will work fine to play music on the Cardo.
    tmEvol likes this.