Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. rddrappo

rddrappo n00b

Oddometer:
    I have the triangle facing my mouth. I’ll have to see if I can get the mic even closer to me. Thanks for the help. I’ll try it out after work.
  2. DFWKen

DFWKen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Copied from the 'other' PackTalk Bold thread:

I posted these on the Cardo facebook page:

Here I am, sitting at my home office desk with my motorcycle helmet on my head. Probably looks a little silly. I'm playing with my new PackTalk Bold. I learned quickly that after saying, "Hey Cardo", you need to wait one second before giving the command. Once I learned that, it has understood my every command. The "Hey Siri" is a nice surprise, too. I could ask questions, make phone calls, and even sent a text message from my helmet by voice. I also checked for new text messages without touching a button.

One other thing that is probably the new 4.0 and not the Bold is that when I plugged it into my computer and activated a group for which I am the originator, it loaded the group and all members into the new PackTalk Bold. Previously with a new unit, I had to meet with every member of the group and start over. If this is working the way I think it is, it's fabulous.

Played with "Hey Cardo" and the commands more last night. Haven't taken the PackTalk on a ride yet. Hopefully this weekend I can meet up with one of my PackTalk friends and check out the Intercom. One of the things that I want to know is if other intercom friends can hear my "Hey Cardo". The legacy PackTalk has about a half second delay between speaking and being heard over the intercom. I wonder if that is in the design, to give time for the PackTalk to mute the group and wait for the rest of the command. Hopefully, I'll find out this weekend.

I wish there was a "Hey Cardo . . . Turn off!" command. That would be easy to remember to do at the end of rides before removing the helmet. I get distracted and forget to power my PackTalk down when I get off the motor, open garage door, get back on, ride into the garage, and the other half dozen little tasks involved in getting home and putting the motor away.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  3. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I have not had that issue. I have to pause after saying "ok, google" if I'm giving my phone a command. But, I don't pause after saying "hey, cardo". In fact, what I've had happen is that I say "hey cardo" and I DO pause and it stops listening before I give it a command, so I have to say hey cardo again.
  4. DFWKen

DFWKen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting, indeed.
    When I said, "Hey Cardo Battery Status." The PackTalk lady was silent. So I tried all the other commands with the same result. Tried and tried and tried. I thought, "well heck, I knew it was too good to be true."
    By accident I think, I paused and it heard and understood the command. Hmmm, maybe that's what the three periods in the Quick Guide mean. So I've been pausing after "Hey Cardo" every time. It's a short pause, maybe one second. But I want to try it again tonight and see if the pause is really necessary.
  5. StuartV

Oddometer:
    I HAVE had trouble where I said a hey cardo command and PackTalk Lady was silent. But, it turned out I just wasn't saying it loud enough.
    BruceWA likes this.
  6. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to installing my new Bold's on my wife's and my Shoei RF1100's. They mounted OK, but IMO the Sena 20S had a better clamp on mounting system that I never worried about. The Cardo is less robust and the fit leaves me wanting for the Sena mount. Thought about the adhesive backed mount but after reading the legal mumbo jumbo disclaimer, well......maybe in the near future.

The sound and speakers are a definite improvement over my Sena's and everything paired up after the initial setup earlier this week. Looking forward now to a road test.
  7. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Found this myself, and like a dork I waited after saying "Hey Cardo" for her reply, well you just say the command, she'll repeat it after the change. :loco
  8. DFWKen

DFWKen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've found that a little pause of about 1/2 second is better than running it all together.

OK, One of my original questions answered:
    If you're in intercom communication with a group, everyone will hear "Hey Cardo and the command". This isn't great. I thought for sure that they'd mute audio or something when it hears a loud "Hey" so that the entire pack doesn't hear every person using voice commands. Imagine a whole group using voice commands. Every time any user in the group hollers "Hey Cardo, Radio On", the entire pack will hear it. I can see a group of riders all using Voice Command where every few minutes, someone in the group wants to turn something on or off. Hey Cardo this, HEY CARDO that, hey cardo something else, HEY CArdo the other thing. I hope they come out with a remedy for this. The way it is now, we'll need to refrain from using the very good voice command control when in a group.

And!
    My PackTalk group of motorcycle campers automatically transferred to the new PackTalk Bold! This is wonderful. It means that I don't have to get with each member of the group to get them connected to our Campers group. We confirmed this tonight as well as the Hey Cardo.

Finally:
    I wish they'd add one more voice command. I'd like "Hey Cardo, Power Off." That is one command that is absolutely needed when pulling up to a stop at the destination; especially at home where I cannot take my hands off the steering to come to a stop. With all the things that I have to do to get my motor in the workshop/garage, I forget to turn my PackTalk off about 50% of the time. A voice command would be great for this.
    TIGERRIDER007, BruceWA and PTJCAL like this.
  9. jwc

jwc Ready to go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any experience with the DURABILITY of the Packtalk Bold’s antenna? Considering getting the Slim to eliminate a likely failure point. Seems like something that small going up and down with every use is asking for trouble but am concerned that the Slim doesn’t have the intercom range that the Bold does.
  10. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    Have broken quiet a few antenna's. Not from putting them up and down but branches grabbing them off road. They work great just keep them down when there is something around.. they do cover them under warranty.
    jwc likes this.
  11. DFWKen

DFWKen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rarely put my antenna up. The old original PackTalks had weak antennas. They'd pop up on their own and when you'd stop, you'd find it broken even though never touched. But Crado replaced all complaintents units with units with a new design antenna. That was 2 years or more ago for me. I use my PackTalk every time I ride and haven't had an antenna problem since it was replaced. Now I have a PackTalk Bold. I'm expecting it to have the same antenna as my regular PackTalk and be plenty durable.
    TonyKZ1 and jwc like this.
  12. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, well. Seems that not all is well in my Cardo land. Used our new PT Bold's today, my wife and I only, and paired via DMC. Range=1/4 mile. Over that and they kept disconnecting/reconnecting. This in a straight line w/o any obstacles , add in hills and we were disconnected. On a positive note the sound is much clearer than on the Sena 20S. Have sent an email to Cardo tech support. We'll see what they have to say. My only previous visit with them was good.
  13. Marcel Zeist

Marcel Zeist Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. DFWKen

DFWKen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why do y'all ride so far apart? :-)

Quarter mile is a long ways for Bluetooth. In our play testing, we found that our heads had to be turned so that the antennae could "see" each other to get much more than that. And with more riders in between, we had to spread out all over creation to lose coverage out in the deserts of New Mexico.

Usually, my friends and I ride 2-abreast with a couple of seconds separation between each pair. Only in our play testing did we take 'em to the limits. It annoyed me more when a semi tractor-trailer would get between riders and blank out the Bluetooth. But that's the nature of line-of-sight and a technology that is only rated at 10 meters.

Ken
    BruceWA likes this.
  15. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You know, with my former Sena 20S we could get that bluetooth to work up to a mile in straight line, but take a corner and we'd lose connectivity. Cardo is boasting much greater distances with the DMC, but my experience is far short of that. I didn't even try any of the other features such as radio, recorded music or with my GPS, it was paired but I never heard any directions. If this thing doesn't own up I'll return it and that will be the end of my communicator experiences after 4+ years. None of them have come close to the manufacturers claims.
  16. jwc

jwc Ready to go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies on the antenna durability question. For the past couple of years my wife and I have used the Sena SMH10R which met our intercom needs fairly well (within 1/4 mile line of sight) but all of the other claimed functions were hit and miss, mostly miss..... With all of the ‘hit or miss’ posts here on the new Packtalk Bold / Slim I am REconsidering upgrading our comm system at all. Disappointing to say the least, really would like to have a comm system where each rider could play their own music and still have comm at the same time. At least with the Sena SMH10R at anything over parking lot speeds the voice activation is a joke even with Shoei full face helmets.
  17. StuartV

Oddometer:
    As far as I know, the PackTalk Bold works just fine for each person to have their own music but still be able to talk to each other. I have a pair of Bolds, but I have not actually used them as an intercom yet. Only for music and talking on the phone.

The voice commands for my Bold work just fine when I'm cruising at 80MPH. I haven't tried them at any higher speed yet.
    jwc likes this.
  18. DFWKen

DFWKen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A mile is huge. You can't even see the rider in front or behind in a mile. I'm surprised that you got that with your 20s. Our group never did.
    Single-user to single user should have reliable communications to about 400 meters.line of sight with no obstructions That's about a quarter mile. With more users, the distance can be increased as each unit acts as a repeater.

If you want more distance, the only solution I've found is CB or Ham radio operating in the HF spectrum. Then, on occasion, you'll get 10,000 miles. Fun, but not useable.

I'm totally happy with the PackTalk range. I've had a PackTalk for going on 3 years and have traveled many thousands of miles across the USA with friends. We usually stay much closer than 1/4 mile and communicating isn't a problem. Once, leaving Las Vegas, New Mexico, two of us got separated from the other two. We slowed down for about 20 miles to let the wrong turners catch up. When I could finally see their headlights topping the previous hill, I could talk to them. I think they were about a mile behind at that point. But communications was sketchy until they got much closer.

I'm not looking for long range communication. Instead, I want good reliable communication within 100 yards. PackTalk is giving us that.

If my wife was riding with me, I'd want her right next to me, not 30 yards back or 30 yards in front of me. Right next to me, handlebar to handlebar.

Ken
  19. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    The DMC gains additional range by meshing many riders. A third or fourth rider in your group would allow the front and back rider to be much farther apart. I don’t think I have ever seen anyone claim that DMC connection between just two riders would be greater range. If you are only connecting two units and are testing max range have you tried just pairing them in regular Bluetooth (non-DMC) mode?
  20. fozrunner

fozrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well my Cardo Packtalk boom microphone stopped working on a weekend ride. It looks like the short wire connection from the boom to the Packtalk has an internal break. I have an HJC modular helmet and the wire combination just isn't long enough to prevent the wire getting tight. Is there such a thing as a mic extension cord to relieve some strain?