Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    I see updating looks like it's now not done through the webpage.
  2. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    True dat, I posted before looking back as I was in a rush. Oh well
    CRracer712 likes this.
  3. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    Well, crap. How do you pair two Packtalks in Bluetooth mode? I tried to follow the quick reference guide (https://www.cardosystems.com/wp-content/uploads/guides/pocket/en/packtalk.pdf) and it says to put them in Bluetooth mode (no problem there), then hold the intercom button for 5 seconds (no problem there), and then.... ????? They're both in pairing mode (flashing red light) but they won't pair.

I also tried the non-Cardo instruction to press the phone button once at this point, but they still won't pair. Do I do the same thing on both? Does this replace one of my phone Bluetooth slots? I turned off Bluetooth on both phones I usually pair with, but still no love.

They've always been paired in DMC mode no problem. This does kind of suck to have to pair in Bluetooth mode in addition to DMC.
  4. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Don’t you have to press one an additional time after that to make it look for the other one? Or is that just when using them as normal. Hell, I’d try it regardless.
  5. CRracer712

CRracer712 Africa Twin Rocks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    When in BT mode, you're only holding your intercom button for 5 seconds aren't you(not both of them)?
  6. CRracer712

CRracer712 Africa Twin Rocks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a double tap after the 5 second to add a third, and again to add a 4th.

Non carbo is same as cardo, but with a single tap on phone button at the end of each one.
  7. HAL 9000

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm part-way there. I finally got them to pair in Bluetooth mode. Really, it was the same steps I had already tried, except I rebooted each unit a time or two, so maybe that helped to clear out the cobwebs.

So now, I got the units to pair on Bluetooth, and they can call each other with the intercom button and talk. I then switch back to DMC mode, and they can both talk. Oh, I had to repair my PT to my phone again, but maybe I just messed that up while trying to get all this to work. I can play music from my phone to my PT and hear it, and talk to the other unit. The last step should be to hold the intercom button for two seconds and stream the music to the passenger, right? Nope. I can't get the music to go to my passenger, even though we're paired and can talk on both DMC and Bluetooth.
  8. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    @CRracer712

Done know if this will work with the 396 but works on my zumo XT

Feel free to pair th
    Wouldn't using the phone app have made this easier? (I don't know as I have never connected with another headset.).

And curious why you had to connect with Bluetooth after already using DMC?

..Tom
  9. HAL 9000

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I tried with the phone app before and couldn't get it to work. I figured turning off Bluetooth on my phone would remove at least one complication.

With the new firmware update that allows sharing music while talking in DMC mode, you have to pair the two Packtalks in *both* DMC and Bluetooth. The music sharing goes over Bluetooth, and the intercom goes over DMC.
    V-Tom likes this.
  10. WQFTruckster

WQFTruckster Adventure Engineer

Oddometer:
    So I just wanted to thank you again. We tried using this procedure over the weekend and it (mostly) worked. Turning the Sena off and on during the 15 second connection seemed to be the missing piece of the puzzle. Also, sometimes he had to press the "phone" button again on the Sena to re-open the connection. We had to do the whole song and dance a couple of times, but finally got it working. I was even able to bridge him into a 3 way DMC conversion with a second PTB rider.

The Bluetooth connection isn't great and sometimes it got a little wonky and he had to restart/reconnect, but for the most part it got us through the day.

I did do a full factory reset on the cardo first, and I did not attempt to connect to my phone or GPS. We have also both done firmware updates to the latest respective versions since our last attempt, so maybe the updates helped fix some issues.
  11. OldKTMRacer

OldKTMRacer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ride with a few buddies. 3 of us have the Sena 20S EVO, and 1 of us has the Sena 30K. Group intercom sucks. We need to upgrade to Mesh capable. Trying to decide between the new Sena 50, or moving over to Cardo (Packtalk Slim/Bold).

From what I can tell, when you are in Mesh mode with the Cardo, everyone is open mic, all the time (I'm assuming it uses noise cancellation, so you don't hear wind noise from all your buddies, but you are likely to hear a revving engine, or them cussing me out on the trail/route I'm taking them on). I see in the user's manual you can mute, but it mutes BOTH mic and speaker at the same time. So that means you can't mute yourself but still hear the group. I mean, if we could all mute ourselves, and only unmute when we wanted to say something, that could work I guess. But open mic all the time is a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned. I want to listen to my music, unless someone has something important to say. I don't need/want to have my music interrupted by random noise that isn't intended to be directed at me. We really don't talk that much on our rides, while we are riding. But figuring out a gas stop or a pee stop or a wrong turn, we'll chat that up. Can you guys tell me about your experience with this or how you use it?

Also curious... Usually I'm the ride instigator. Which means I ride, most of the time with at least one of my buddies. Sometimes with two, and sometimes with all three. Once we get our group set up, we don't have to reconfigure anything between riding days do we? I can ride with Chris this weekend, Josh next weekend, and Chris and Josh the weekend after that, and not have to reconfigure anything right? It just "works"?
  12. HAL 9000

Oddometer:
    You're right about the noise cancellation. When nobody is talking, it's completely silent, unless there's enough wind to open the squelch. And that's not frequent. I've never heard the squelch open because of a revving engine.

Even when someone else talks, the music isn't actually interrupted. It "dims" down (reduces the volume), but you can still hear your music. Yeah, that'd be extremely annoying if the music actually stopped, but it doesn't.

You are correct on the mute function. When you mute, you can still hear the others VERY faintly for whatever reason, but usually not loud enough to catch the whole conversation.

Also correct on the DMC group setup. Ride with Chris, Josh, or both, and it just works. And if Chris and Josh got together without you, they would link up effortlessly. SOMETIMES when I've been riding solo for a while and meet up with someone in my DMC group, I may have to reboot before it links up to them. It's a bug, but a minor one. Once we've linked up for that particular ride, there usually aren't any further issues even if we leave range and come back into range several times.
    draco_1967 likes this.
  13. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even on an incredibly windy day, the mic would only open for a brief second when a really big crosswind hit before cancelling out again. Very impressive isolation routine running in the software there.
    scottydawg likes this.
  14. OldKTMRacer

OldKTMRacer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Still not sure about the open mic. I can only imagine lots of cuss words and stuff popping up on the group chat that would just be annoying. On the other hand, I can imagine it being handy... Ride this last weekend I wanted to notify the guy behind me of a road hazard, or a crazy dog, or the turkey or bobcat. But to do that, I would have had to reach up and tap the talk button. With an open mic, I could just blurt it out. So there's that...
  15. WQFTruckster

WQFTruckster Adventure Engineer

Oddometer:
    I don't find the open mic too annoying, cuss words and all. I enjoy having my buddies "in my head" on the ride. It keeps things entertaining. Like you said, there are advantages to open mics such as being able to instantly warn riders behind you of hazards, or if the last guy in line goes down he can let the group know before they get out of range. The music "dimming" works pretty well too, and the volume that it drops to is adjustable in the Cardo app.

Alternatively, you could always switch back to Bluetooth mode. I think anyone can open and close a channel with a button push. So anyone who had something to say would open a channel, speak, and then close it when done. I'm not exactly sure how this works in groups of more than two though. Personally, I think I would get tired of pressing the button every time I had something to say. If I want complete silence or uninterrupted music I'll just turn off the comm and go back to the old fashioned way of hand signals or chatting at stop signs.
  16. HeliMark

HeliMark Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    With the open mic, do you have the ability to adjust the squelch so that someone mumbling will not not open the mic, but using a louder voice will?
  17. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes, there is a mic sensitivity option.
  18. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I've experienced the same thing. I ride a bit more solo than the other guys in my group, and I sometimes have to reset my headset to connect to the group. But you are right, once it is reset, I don't have to do it for the remainder of the day/trip with the guys.

My riding buddies all have half helmets, and the mic is silent unless there is a particularly strong gust of wind or someone coughs. When we moved from the Sena 20s to the Cardo, we kept checking to make sure the com was still connected because we were used to the constant static and popcorn of the Sena :lol3. I hope Sena has fixed that with the latest versions.
  19. scottydawg

scottydawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The mics are not "open" they are VOX activated and the sensitivity can be adjusted. You don't hear wind noise or anything at all unless you actually speak or really rev your motor (or sing or cuss) :D .
  20. OldKTMRacer

OldKTMRacer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea I get it. "Open mic" probably isn't the most accurate term I could have used. I realize it is squelched somehow obviously. Being able to squawk out "Watch out for the angry dog" (while trying to maneuver around said angry dog) without taking hands off the bars would be nice. Other than that, I think my group would quickly get sick of hearing each other's burps/farts/coughs/singing/cussing. A "push button to start convo" option would be nice.

Thanks for the feedback guys. This is helping us make up our minds.