Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. Right Turn Clyde

Right Turn Clyde Pongo pygmaeus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone with experience using the Bold (or other Cardo models) to record voice memos on an iphone app?

I need to do so on a trip, and am wondering if one simply says "Hey Cardo..." (or "Hey Siri..."?) to open the app and start recording. Or if manually operating the iphone to get to the desired app is still needed before the Bold can serve as a mic.
  2. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    I've got the older Packtack (not the Bold), though the only difference between them should be the "natural" voice commands. On my Packtalk, I can press the bottom "phone" button once and that actives Siri on my iPhone. I could then say "record a voice memo" or whatever the proper Siri command is.
  3. WQFTruckster

WQFTruckster Adventure Engineer

Oddometer:
    “Hey Siri” should work just like it does on your phone. No need to pre open apps. I have found that Siri requires a pretty good cell signal to work.
  4. Right Turn Clyde

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Thx!
  5. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    The only issue I've run into with "Hey Siri" is that often it won't open an app without first unlocking the phone, which involves putting your hands on the touch screen and entering the PIN number or activating the fingerprint reader.

I think there is a way to circumvent this, but I don't need to do it enough to invest the time to figure out how.
  6. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    From my research, there’s no way around that, other than removing the passcode from your phone. That’s a function of the phone though, and not specific to using it with a Packtalk.
  7. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    One word of advice that has been offered earlier in the thread regarding groups that have some but not all of the same members. Cardo advises against having overlapping groups. In other words try to avoid having one group with Chris+Josh and another group with Chris+Josh+Tim+Karen. Best to just create the larger group only. The large group will not be impacted by a missing member, but if you have also have defined a smaller group with similar membership then when Chris goes out of range and comes back their headset could incorrectly re-join the wrong group.
    PTJCAL likes this.
  8. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:

On iPhone go to Settings -> Siri&Search -> Allow Siri when locked
    Bayner likes this.
  9. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  10. WQFTruckster

WQFTruckster Adventure Engineer

Oddometer:
    I was curious so I tried it. It looks like you can say "Hey Siri, take a voice memo" and she will open up the app for you (depending on your security settings you may have to have your phone unlocked first), but you still have to press the button to start recording. I don't think there is a way for her to just record your voice directly hands-free. That's an Apple limitation though, not a Cardo one. You can ask her to take a note hands-free though. "Hey Siri, take a note...don't forget the milk." or "Hey Siri, update my last note..."
  11. Right Turn Clyde

Oddometer:
  12. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can I link the following devices simultaneously to a Cardo Packtalk Bold?

- BMW NAV 6
    -Android Phone (Google Pixel XL)
    -Bluetooth Repeater - I have a Sena SM10 unit used to connect a wired radar detector via bluetooth.

So I'll need a total of three channels.
  13. CRracer712

CRracer712 Africa Twin Rocks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure.

You can link a phone. Then you can link a second phone (and?)or GPS.

The procedure for linking a second phone is the same as linking a GPS, with one exception. To designate it as a GPS link, the wheel is scrolled forward.

Maybe someone else has tried pairing 3 items. But could your Sena sm 10 be paired to your phone instead?
  14. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it only has two bluetooth channels.
    you could pair your phone to the Nav 6, and then the NAV 6 to the Cardo.
  15. River-Runner

Oddometer:
    If my wife and I are riding on separate bikes:

Would you use the bluetooth or Mesh connection?

Is there a difference in range or sound quality?

Sena made a 20-series based unit to go into a Shoei Neotch II helmet that we have used for two years - as a communicator only they work ok, but I cannot for the life of me get the sound levels of the BMW NAV 6 GPS, Android Phone and Sena SM-10 to play well together.....no music above 35-40 MPH.....but works well as a communicator at speed.
  16. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mesh. Any time you’re more then 6ft apart, I’d always use mesh IMO.
    scottydawg likes this.
  17. surferbum

surferbum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
    Does the antenna matter in terms of whether you put it up or not on the Cardo Bold?
  18. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found the Bluetooth signal didn’t get interrupted by my body as easily with it up. No reason not to, it improves reception all around.
  19. River-Runner

Oddometer:
    Sorry to ask so many questions:

Do you control pairing and most other settings from the Android App - or do you have to punch buttons on the head unit?

I found pairing on the Sena to be kind of tedious. You had to wait for the voice menu to come up with the option you wanted, then press a button......often I could hear the menu only with the helmet on, then I couldn't feel the buttons - Catch-22
  20. shutterguy

shutterguy n00b

Oddometer:
    Newbie here. Picked up PTB last fall, love it, came from a Sena 30K. Group I ride with all had 30K's, I changed because Cardo had better reviews as far as construction, sound, and wind noise. Group just upgraded to Sena 50S, a friend and myself tried pairing the PTB and 50S to each other through the app, no luck no matter what we tried. You would think they would make this technology compatible as our the rest of our BT devices can find every electronic BT device with a 500ft radius when you want to pair.