Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. csw0623

csw0623 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks. I do not have a separate GPS. I retrained my voice with Google Assistant today, we'll see if that works next time I ride.
  2. miken0vf

miken0vf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    try adjusting the sensitivity for voice commands, sometimes a louder voice will overdrive the input and cause distortion, a softer voice might not be detected. everyone will be a little different.
  3. csw0623

csw0623 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will try that, thank you!
  4. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Cardo manual says the commands are "Hey Cardo" this and "Hey Cardo" that but "OK Google".

Don't know if you just mistyped or if the command really is "Hey Google", but you might try "OK Google".
  5. csw0623

csw0623 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I realized after posting that I meant to say "OK, Google " thanks;)
  6. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can always get my S10 to respond to "OK Google" it says "OK Google" back and beeps waiting for the command.
    If I have good web connectivity it will then usually execute my command, not good connectivity nothing happens.
  7. birdbearbeast

birdbearbeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can’t get mine to respond to anything unless I’m stopped, the wind noise from any sort of movement overpowers it. I tried moving the mic a bit but zero luck so far.
  8. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    Recently got a pair of Packtalk Bolds for my birthday. Super excited to upgrade from the cheap but trusty Ali express feedconn units my partner and I have been riding with the last 3 years. BUT I am sorely disappointed in the cardo units.

On both DMC and Bluetooth the connection is not clear. I have occasional click, buzzes, sometimes static noises coming through. Sometimes these noises aren’t present but the comms is nowhere near as clear as the cheapie units we had before. Where is the amazing, crystal clear audio all the reviews promised?

The range is also abysmal compared to my knockoff Chinese units. Maximum 200m, maybe 400 with the aerial up, straight road, no trees, buildings or anything else that could interfere. It also has nothing to indicate when the connection has cut or reconnected. I’ll be chatting away and suddenly realise I’m getting no response from my partner. At one point we were standing in a field less than 30m away from each other and when he turned his head so the unit on the side of his helmet pointed away from me, it cut out. We tried it a couple of times and happened consistently, so not a one off occurrence. I know he can be a bit thick headed sometimes but seriously!!!

My cheap Chinese feedconn units that cost less than 1/10th of the cardo units never ever had these issues and had a range of over 800m on straights. The connection is clearer than the cardos and the only issue was that they aren’t loud enough at highway speeds.

The reviews are ALWAYS so glowing stating ease of connectivity, great range, great sound etc. none of which has been our experience far. So WTF?? Have we just got a pair of duds or is this the norm for these units? Have tried resetting both of them, reconnecting, upgrading firmware, checked cable etc.

Has anyone else had these issues? Did you manage to solve them? What comms range are people getting between 2 riders.?
    Cuchulainn likes this.
  9. CRracer712

CRracer712 Africa Twin Rocks!

Oddometer:
    Are you using an open or closed face helmet. Boom mic or wired mic? I have no issue anytime with ok google and my Moto G6. I'm using a closed face helmet with wired mic. Does your hey cardo commands work ok? If they do but not ok google, I'd look more at your phone. Maybe play around with you phone and ok google without phone being connected to the cardo.

On my older Q2 pro with a boom mic, the closer the boom mic to my mouth, the better my voice communication works.
  10. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cant speak to range, since I've only used them in DMC paired mode with my partner on the bike behind me, but I've never had any audio issues. The only 'issue' has been dealing with helmet wind noise, which certainly isn't the Bold's fault. When standing around the bike getting ready to go and stuff, it sounds like she's speaking directly in my ear basically.

Have you checked your mic placement? The only time I get random sounds / channel opening is when a really strong blast of wind comes through, and this is with the button mics mounted directly beside the primary chin vent on a pair of Arais.
  11. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Y.Me Supporter

Oddometer:
    Watching this because my wife and I are having similar issues and have tried firmware upgrades, firmware resets, all kinds of various settings in the app. But the range and quality of voice has not been near as good as the Sena 20's we came from.

Music does sound good, especially after I sprung for the larger speaker set, but helmet to helmet isn't nearly as clear for voice and we didn't buy them to primarily listen to music. Also the range has not been near as good.

Additionally, my wifes voice keeps breaking up at speeds over about 30mph. It must to be something with her helmet, because we tried swapping units and the issue is exactly the same. We have also tried 3 different mics in her helmet. But we wear the same make/model of helmet and I don't break up. We were also using the same helmets with the Senas and I was always able to hear her absolutely perfect with the Sena regardless of speed. Crystal clear, no static and no breaking up.

It is funny because I have seen Ryan's review from Fort Nine and our Cardo units sound like the portrayal of the Sena to the point where I wonder if he got the two mixed up :)

Aside from the mic swaps and unit swaps, we have tried adjusting all kinds of settings in the app. Nothing seems to resolve any of the issues.

It is testing our patience and despite the water egress issues that we had with the Sena in heavy rains, we are thinking about swapping back to Sena or trying something else altogether.

We left Cardo for the Sena SMH-10 8-9 years ago due to issues with our Cardo units. After the water issues with the 20s, we circled back to Cardo with the BackTalk Bold and to see what has improved with Csrdo. But aside from music quality with the JBL speakers, we are so far not impressed.

Hopefully you can find a solution to the issues you are having. We are hoping for the same. The set wasn't cheap and we are long outside the return window at this point while we have been attempting to resolve it.
    victay likes this.
  12. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have the same helmet and the same locations, maybe it’s the airflow on her bike or in the Pillion position? I tweaked my windscreen and went from clear voice to hard to understand, because the adjusted wind flow was basically hitting the chin vent on my XD4.
  13. Cuchulainn

Oddometer:
    The XD-4 are the helmets that we wear as well. It may be airflow on her bike that's the cause but it has to be something more than that I think. Nothing has changed with her helmet or her bike between the Sena 20S Evo and the Cardo Packtalk Bold.

I think the cutting out over 30mph may be down to how Cardo handles noise cancelling. We have tried with "Intelligent noise block" both on and off. But it might just be inherent to the Cardo. I have tried moving her mic all over the helmet. We may need to try changing her windscreen.

The static and poor range I am not sure about. The 20S Evo was Bluetooth and not mesh. Perhaps mesh works best for multiple riders where the range can be extended along the line and we would be better served just using Bluetooth one to one?
  14. webnetxpress

webnetxpress DakarEnduro

Oddometer:
    personal experience.
    dmc mode about 1/3 to half distance less than bluetooth mode. in fact giong from the older g9x unit in bluetooth where i could get consistently 1km away, the packtalks in dmc usually work 500m or so. but yes, add a few more riders and we can chat 2-3km in range no problem. it is awesome.

audio quality- have no problems like you are describing. and we are racing with mx open face helmets, offroad with race pipes, talking while doing 50mph down a track.
    Cuchulainn likes this.
  15. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    When riding at speed on roads, when my buddy talks I hear wind noise from his helmet/windshield. Just last week I heard 30 seconds of wind noise and later found out he was talking to me. I didn't hear a word of it. Works much better at trail speeds.

Sometimes the PTB is clear but sometimes not. Haven't found a cause or solution. May ask about trying BT instead of DMC.
    Cuchulainn likes this.
  16. Cuchulainn

Oddometer:
    Okay, so the reduced range should not be unexpected then if you don't have other bikes in between as part of the mesh to bump it down the line?
  17. Cuchulainn

Oddometer:
    It sounds as though though you are having a similar issue. Except I hear more like every 3rd or 4th word.
  18. victay

victay Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, ok so not sure if I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one having this issue or more frustrated that it’s not just a one off. BTW we are also using same helmets as you, xd4 and the newer xwed, can’t imagine how this could be affecting it though, so probably just a coincidence.

Gonna contact the supplier we bought ours from and see if we can get ours swapped out with a different set of units to see if we have the same problem. We are on the borderline with the return period also.
  19. Xyphon112

Xyphon112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You used to be able to adjust the settings for the PT bold in the web browser. I can't find a way to do that anymore. Am I missing something?
  20. Fastman

Fastman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not really. When they went to one of the recent firmware versions, they essentially shut down the web app. Everything is done via a smartphone or computer app (Cardo Update)
    Cuchulainn likes this.