Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. webnetxpress

webnetxpress Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Correct, in my experience the DMC is shorter range point to point.
    Cuchulainn likes this.
  2. pit0rz

pit0rz Off on a bimble... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just picked up the PTB dual kit, initial impression. Both units paired easily to our phones. Both units were in DMS group 1 out of the box.
    PTP testing off the bikes easily got us the length of our street (1500' +/-).

Comms while riding under 50mph very good, the VOX works well. I did hear my sons exhaust a few times when he accelerated hard from a stop. His bike has a (too loud) FMF pipe on it. Needs the Quiet Core.
    While riding I had music playing from my XM app on the phone, Waze was running. I did find that different audio "modes" have different volume settings. I had the music volume set pretty high, could barely hear the GPS audio commands for turn by turn.
    Volume for intercom adjusted separately was perfect. Above 50MPH the wind noise in my helmet was proving to be a problem. I normally ride with ear plugs (soft insert kind) but left them out for the first ride.
    My helmet Shoei Duotec modular, my son has an HJC modular. We both are using the boom mic.

Going out again this morning with a friend who also has the PTB. We'll see how creating a new group goes. I will also wear my ear plugs today and hopefully will be able to hear a little better above 50 with the decreased wind noise.
  3. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hear my riding buddy's stock-sounding DR650 through the PTB when he accelerates hard. He reports hearing my bike occasionally.

The Cardo Connect app has an adjustment for "microphone sensitivity". I might turn down the mic sensitivity to see if he hears my bike less.

One reason I hesitate to do this is that the PTB can fail to sound the first syllable. I try to say a wake-up phrase but don't always do that when I have an urgent warning. I'd hate to have the microphone respond even later to a warning than it does now.
  4. pit0rz

Oddometer:
    Todays ride: Met up with a buddy, we grouped up easily. I wore my ear plugs and my neck gaiter which easily cut 50% or more of the wind noise. Even well above 50 we had no trouble conversing. I'm more than satisfied. :thumbup
    webnetxpress, tsak8 and cblais19 like this.
  5. CRracer712

CRracer712 Africa Twin Rocks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you and your son are in a group, and you create a new group with you and your son and the new rider, you may experience connectivity issues with original group.

If you do. Just have one group with everyone you may ride with in it, and let the PTB handle who is and isn't there.
  6. pit0rz

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Thanks!
  7. BoilerRealm

BoilerRealm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I replaced my Uclear unit with a PTB a couple weeks ago due to horrible battery life. I was getting about 100 minutes or so. Did my first trip this weekend with the new unit and I'm very pleased. I listened to music and google maps directions all day long, and was at 75% battery when I got to camp. Couldn't be happier. I don't do pairing with another rider so no idea how that will work. But so far I love it. And the ability to use Siri to listen and send texts is great.
  8. judgedelta

judgedelta Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto here. I got my Bold yesterday and installation took about 15 minutes on my Neotech. The JBL speakers alone are worth the price of admission. Cardo's customer service couldn't be any worse than Sena.
  9. deesee

deesee Been here awhile

Oddometer:

There is an audio mixer function, but you need to use the app (it's kind of buried, but it's there.) You can change how sensitive the mic is, and how lout the relative volumes are, for different audio sources.
  10. judgedelta

judgedelta Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This Utube video explains the app very well:
  11. birdbearbeast

birdbearbeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Closed helmet (original shoei hornet) and wired mic. There’s not a lot of options for positioning but I’ll try moving it around.

Oh, and no commands work, unless I’m stationary. Phone (google/Siri) or cardo
  12. deesee

deesee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My better half has her wired mic mounted on her helmet the same as you. She has lots of trouble with voice commands. I've got the boom mic on my helmet, and don't have any problems. We are going to try the boom mic on her helmet, to see if it helps. Also, there are some sensitivity settings (buried in the app) that may help your situation.
  13. scottydawg

scottydawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind with the voice commands to speak in a very natural and quiet voice even at speed. No reason to raise your voice no matter what the exterior sound level is.
  14. an13

an13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And pronounce commands like "mjuusiiik aawnnnn". Would be nice to know what accent they really expected when coding that voice recognition. Quite hard for non-english speakers.
  15. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Voice controls work well in Canadian English (which is what your national news anchors mainly use.)

I only seem to have issues when I'm *not* moving. I seem to need to speak up a bit then. (Perhaps some minor adjustment is in order.)

..Tom
  16. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Soon I am going to swap my PTB to a new helmet. I use the glue plate instead of the clip on my Shoei Qwest. I think I’m doing the same in an RF1200. Anyone have tips for transferring? Buy a new glue plate? Use some fancy automotive adhesive? Any tips are welcome.

Thanks.
  17. scottydawg

scottydawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind with the voice commands to speak in a very natural and quiet voice even at speed. No reason to raise your voice no matter what the exterior sound level is.
    Some 3M VHB (very high bond) will work fine.
    boulet_boulet likes this.
  18. Homegrownfactory

Homegrownfactory Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Packtalk Bold, an iphone 8 and a Garmin zumo 396. I have both the phone and gps paired to the Bold. I have my phone paired to the gps so the gps can use the app on my phone to get traffic and weather data. The problem I have is that when the gps is connected, voice commands dont work usually. and the volume of the phone for calls is very low, unless I go to the phone and make it selevt the BOLD vs the garmin or speaker or whatever. Without the gps connected it works great. Any thoughts on how to get it to work better? Ive opened a tech issue with cardo but haven't heard back.
  19. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    have you turned off phone and audio from the bluetooth connection from the GPS to the Phone?
  20. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can give voice commands to your phone using the "Voice Call" function in the phone menu of the GPS To do that pair your phone as phone 1 and your GPS as **phone** 2.

You might need to play with volume using the app (but that doesn't work while hooked up the way I just said.)

..Tom