1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is my next to do. Going to call their tech support today.
  2. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some interesting thoughts and opinions. Glad your experience with Cardo has been a long prosperous one, mine has been the opposite so far, short and wanting. Some of the the group rides I take have a wide range of experienced riders and I do NOT want any one in my safety zone that I do not trust their skill sets taking me out. My preference. When my wife and I ride we avoid interstates at all costs, so we spend a lot of time on rural little traveled roads, and when it gets twisty I might just decide to take it up a notch and enjoy the "one good turn deserves another" motto. She is generally only "X" bike lengths behind me, depending on our speed.
  3. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cardo tech support returned my call within 30 minutes, good news there. They had several suggestions (and answers?) for me. Number 1, range is with the antenna "up". Also my GPS was paired as a second phone, he said to pair it with the GPS pairing, did that and that is now paired. Hope to be able to ride soon to test these mods out. The DMC mode is apparently sensitive to interference from different sources, such as passing vehicles, and we saw this with trucks going the opposite way breaking the link. We have a multi-week trip coming up after July 4, so I will have a much better idea of life with the PT Bold after that.
  4. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you saying your previous post about poor range with the PackTalk was based on using it with the antenna down?
  5. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well that was what he eluded too. Seems unlikely to me, but hey maybe I wasn’t holding my tongue in the right way.
  6. Grimreaper7

Grimreaper7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've just sent a query to Cardo regarding the same thing.
    I'm after a 2 metre long extension for the microphone so I can use the Packtalk in my car (Caterham 7) for tours with friends in their cars.
    We are going to Le Mans for the Classic next week and touring through France is more fun if you can talk amongst the drivers while on route.
    At the moment we use Autocom Intercoms with Baofeng PMR radios for car to car communication, and I reckon if they can do a microphone extension lead the Packtalks might take over some of Autocom's customers.
    fozrunner likes this.
  7. HandsomeSimon

HandsomeSimon n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone else having trouble with the voice commands? I've only been able to get the battery status command to work twice, and the okay google once. Does it not work well with Australian accents?
    Also, is the boom mic better than the other one? Worth switching?
  8. DFWKen

DFWKen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quite honestly, I've only used voice commands when stopped or at speeds under about 30 mph. Never yet really "on the road". My motorcycle camping group leaves in 4 weeks from today for a 5,000 mile trip. Was looking forward to using voice commands, but since the entire group will hear every, "Hey Cardo . . . . " commands, I probably won't be using it much on the trip as planned. Back to buttons.
  9. fozrunner

fozrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife uses the wired mic with her full face helmet, I use the boom mic with my modular. They both work well, except for the above issue of the short cord from the boom mic.

In a full face I'd use the corded mic as it is small and out of the way. My wife is an Aussie, but she hasn't used voice commands- I'll have to ask her to try!
  10. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I mostly only use voice commands. Hey cardo and ok, google both work fine for me, even rolling 80MPH down the Interstate. Very reliable and accurate, so far.
    tmEvol and BruceWA like this.
  11. DFWKen

DFWKen Been here awhile

Oddometer:

What helmet do you have that the cable to the boom mike is too short? I have a Schuberth C3 Pro. I used the spring steel clip mount for the unit and was able to place the PackTalk forward to where the cable is actually a little too long.
    Is it possible to move the PackTalk forward an inch?
    One of our group has a full face and uses the wired microphone. His audio volume is way lower than the other two or three riders. We position our boom mic so that the foam around the mike touches ouir lips. His is about half an inch away from his mouth. We ask him to please put in the padding to bring it closer.
    fozrunner likes this.
  12. fozrunner

Oddometer:
    I have an HJC IS-Max modular. There is a plastic clip just forward of the Packtalk, so I can't move it forward any further. I've now routed the boom mic cord (spare from my wife's helmet) between the shell and the expanded foam helmet liner, coming out where the chin strap emerges. Before I had it just going under the liner. This way it avoids a hard plastic piece from the liner and the cord seems a little less tight.

I'm going to phone Cardo on Monday and see if I can get the boom mic replaced. The retailer sent me an RMA to send the whole Packtalk Duo package back. Not sure I need/want to do that.

My wife's full face mic seems to have good volume, but then again she's the only one I've talked to with the unit!
  13. DFWKen

DFWKen Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yeah, I googled HJC IS-Max modular and see that the helmet has very stylish features on the side that would require mounting the PackTalk farther rearward than on my Schuberth.

There is such a difference in transmitted volume with microphone placements that just a half inch away from one's lips makes that user's voice very low volume. It's no problemo when just two people, but in a group, that person's voice is quite faint compared to the others. And if I adjust my speaker volume for that one person, the others' voices blow my head out of the helmet! I wish we had sidetone so we could hear ourselves like the Sena has.
  14. fozrunner

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ken that's very helpful information about the helmets. I'm considering replacing my helmet soon, so I'll look at ones that make mounting easier. We've joined an MC club that does group rides (and some weekend ones) but so far we are the only ones with comms. Demonstrating how useful they were last weekend was a bit of a fail. We dropped back with a couple to grab some gas and I couldn't answer the phone when the leaders called because my mic was broken!
  15. DFWKen

DFWKen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The drawback with the Schuberth helmets is the way they secure the neck roll to the shell. It's attached to the shell in such a way that without modification, the clips simply cannot be used and the speaker/mic wires get pinched. So be on the lookout for that. I modified mine to allow the clip mounting because I don't trust the double-sided tape method. Otherwise, I whole-heartedly recommend the C3 or C3 Pro. I've had a dozen helmets over the years and like the Schuberth best.
  16. AdventureMu

AdventureMu n00b

Oddometer:
    New user here (of both ADV and Packtalk Bold).... having some weird issues and hoping someone might have some experience.
    I started with Cardo Systems a long time ago, then switched to the Sena 20S, and just last week to the Packtalk Bold. At first everythign seemed to work perfectly --- then suddenly, about 90% of the time, it wasn't contacting Google properly.

When I say, "OK Google", it understands and says "OK Google" back to me, but when I issue a command it just ignores me as if it didn't hear. It doesn't even show it on the screen. It's like it didn't send the data to Google or something. "Hey Cardo" works perfectly.

Here's the weird thing - OK Google seems to work at home just fine (whether I'm on wifi or a mobile connection). When I'm away from home, it's not working.

I tried to do a firmware update (dunno if there is one), but for some reason their site (which is buggy, btw) doesn't detect when I plug in the USB. I've done it properly (downloaded the driver, the plugged in the Packtalk Bold, etc) but nothing seems to work.

Stuff I've done...
    • Reset my phone and the Packtalk Bold several times
    • Tried multiple USB cables to connect device to computer
    • Tried two different computers

I'm using an Samsung Note 8 and a six month old laptop, so it's hard to imagine that it's the other electronics.

I just spent an hour on hold with Cardo systems and no one ever answers....left my number and hopefully they'll call back when it's convenient for them lol.

Any ideas? :)
  17. DFWKen

DFWKen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You'll first hear this from Cardo Support: Do a factory reset. With my old PackTalk, I had to do several factory resets to make flakey problems go away.
    And usually, it helped or totally alleviated the issues I was having.

I hated doing factory resets because it erased my DMC groups. But they've improved the product and now it puts the groups back into my PackTalk where formerly, I had to get all of the group members to please connect again. (not easy because we don't all live in the same town).

So other than having to pair to the phone and my BlueTooth transmitter, factory reset isn't all that bad.
  18. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You'll need to use Google Chrome to connect to the Cardo website, MS products and Firefox were issues for me.
  19. PTJCAL

PTJCAL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi.

You might check that your Google options are fine. For bluetooth the voice has to be set on.

In Android it's in ok Google options / settings / voice / Hands free / allow for bluetooth devices.

After updating to android 8, it also happened to me and that's the way it was fixed.

I hope it helps.
  20. DFWKen

DFWKen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So last night on an urban ride, I decided to use Voice Commands. I spoke loudly, "Hey Cardo, Battery Status." No reply from the PackTalk lady. Louder, "HEY CARDO, Battery status.". Still no reply. Good grief, it was working last time I used it. Louder yet, "HEY CARDO, BATTERY STATUS.". Still no reply. Is she asleep? Maybe if I screamed it, "HEY CARDO, BATTERY STATUS." Nothing. Grrrrr. Maybe I'm yelling too loudly. So in my normal tone of voice, "Hey Cardo, Battery Status.". The PackTalk lady responded immediately, "Battery level is full." WHOA! I don't have to yell! I tried all of the voice commands over and over in a normal tone of voice. She responded every time.

Note to self: Don't yell at the PackTalk lady. She'll ignore you. Kind of like my wife.

Ken
    TonyKZ1, Casey851, tmEvol and 4 others like this.