1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. mickthesaw

mickthesaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "The parallel bluetooth is for sharing music with another rider,"
    not according to Cardo's blurb two seperate channels
  2. miken0vf

miken0vf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'm wrong here. Thinking of something else.

Attached Files:

3. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    Even with a noisy helmet (even open face), people have had success with the Packtalk cutting out the wind noise. In the app, there are mic sensitivity adjustments. Also, if your buddy is using the boom mic, make sure the yellow arrow on the mic is directly facing his mouth. If it's rotated slightly off axis, the noise cancellation is much less effective.
  4. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will tell him to readjust the mic in the app! Tx! :thumbup
    HAL 9000 likes this.
  5. Farmernick

Farmernick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just done the latest update and now lost my voice command and phone answering, so that’s good!
  6. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got mine and wasn't thrilled when I found there are two different competing, and incompatible updaters they have listed on their support sites. Gosh, why do all these hardware mfr always seem to stub their toes so badly on the software side?
  7. Phil8dirt

Phil8dirt '17 BMW R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of Bold JBL for me and my wife. However, I've also put audio kits on my kids helmets for when I ride with them but they don't have the Bold. So unless they are riding with me they are riding without the Bold attached. Has anyone found a way to cover the audio kit mount while riding so that the audio pins are not exposed to the elements when raining? Or is the only option for them (not me) to buy a Bold for themselves.
  8. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Use a product like ACF50 to protect the contact points and related architecture and save yourself the cost of an additional unit.
  9. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    Some enterprising person could probably design a 3D printed snap fit cover.
  10. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Funny I was thinking this morning that I might do that.
  11. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    Is the race on? Seriously, I really don't have the time now, but thanks considering it. I'm sure plenty of folks would appreciate it.

Imho, the biggest issue is, unless you develop a dual durometer piece, one hard to create the snap in footprint, so it stays in place, and then a softer flexible piece to seal the terminals, all you will probably end up doing is trapping moisture, and causing more harm than good. Seems like a pretty simple design face value, but to perfect this, and actually print a superior solution would be more of a challenge.

That said, Cardo's design isn't exactly inspiring in that regard either. But then again, their planned obsolescence is approx 3 years, so the contacts should outlive the battery. Perhaps the best route is to simply use a contact cleaner and protectant from time to time.
  12. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    No guarantees. I will look into it.

I previously printed this charging stand for our Packtalks.
    Packtalk Stand.jpg
    scottydawg and Phil8dirt like this.
  13. Phil8dirt

Phil8dirt '17 BMW R1200GSA

Oddometer:
  14. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Cardo PTB unit itself doesn't have seal there. Riding in the rain with the unit attached might be no better than with a cover. The difference might be that riders will remove the PTB to charge so let the contacts dry out occasionally where they might leave the cover on longer.

This is my strategy. I'm pretty sure the contacts are plated to resist corrosion. May not be a 10-year solution, but that's OK by me. Even if I rode with the PTB more often, I'd still take it off often enough to see the condition of the contacts.
  15. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    A little dab of dielectric grease will go a long way to keep the contacts free from corrosion as well as keeping the connection to the baseplate working just fine..YMMV
  16. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can "Hey Cardo, speed dial" select any of the 4 numbers in the speed dial list?

Everything I've seen looks like it doesn't accept a keyword to choose any but the favorite. No selecting another phone in the list of 4 by name or number.

I'm just hoping I've missed an explanation that's somewhere else in the documentation.

I'm specifically asking about the speed dial feature, not "OK Google". I usually have data turned off which disables "OK Google".

I usually ride with the phone in an inside pocket, so to change favorites I'd have to pull over, stop, remove gloves, fiddle with zips, change favorite, etc, etc.

Thanks.
  17. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not answering your questio. But I've found " okay google" and "call John smith" (or any other name in my contacts) works well.

..Tom
  18. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have to use the Phone App to choose any one of the 4 speed-dial numbers, only the Favorite can be dialed by Cardo Voice Command. I've had success asking Google to dial by voice but it does require data on.
    Grinnin likes this.
  19. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over the last fww days I left my antenna up on my ptb and nor only did I not get any cut-outs but I was picking up radio stations from a much greater distance.

I thought the antenna is only for communicating but it appears it does much more.

..Tom
    cblais19 likes this.
  20. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, likewise - I got much less cutouts once I did that.