1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    For anyone interested in the 3D printed cover .... just a quick post to say that I am almost there. One more tweak to the design. I had a setback healthwise but hope to be able to get back to it in a few days.
    mrmagloo likes this.
  2. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    The antenna will have zero impact on FM reception. The speaker wire/headphone wire is used as the FM antenna.
  3. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes except it certainly did give me better reception when the antenna was up.

..Tom
  4. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did repeated tests listening to music from my phone yesterday. No difference with antenna up or antenna down.

Turning my head to look straight at the left mirror is about the minimum motion that will cause a cutout while listening to music from my phone in a breast pocket. Turning to look at the mirror stalk doesn't cut sound. Turning to the mirror itself does. Antenna up or down didn't matter.

YMMV
  5. CRracer712

CRracer712 Africa Twin Rocks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got a cardo email saying packtalk 5.7 is available now.

Also mentioned some special edition cardo system announcement coming soon.
  6. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    v5.7 has been around since July 6th. I think you are referring to the PackTalk Black that now includes the 45mm speakers and a 3 year warranty. Awful nice there was no mention of these two weeks ago when I called and ordered the Bold Duo. If they also included BT 5.0, I'd really be ticked.
  7. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Odd. I have only ridden 500 km since putting up the antenna but have not had one cutout. This was mainly listening to me on the GPS (which is mounted on the left handlebar) and today for about 45 minutes listening to Spotify with no drop outs. Yesterday included some FM radio from the PTB and I was able to clearly get stations from about 200 km away that I would only be able to get clearly from just over 100 km away.

I agree that it shouldn't make a difference and maybe yesterday had some freak atmospheric conditions but its what l experienced.

..Tom
  8. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I couldn't get my Sena SR-10 to stay synced reliably to my PTB, so I bought a Sena 50. The Sena stayed synced, but I had to send it in for a battery change, so I tried the Sena SR-10 with the PTB, this time as phone 1 instead of phone 2. Worked like a charm. I also listened to purchased music on my phone instead of Pandora. I read about that somewhere after I had already ordered the Sena 50.
  9. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cardo’s new Special Edition unit to me is a flop. 45mm speakers, all black and a 3 year warranty for $389. Step it up Cardo. This isn’t worth the upgrade. Disappointed in the announcement today.
  10. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Meanwhile, I opened a ticket with Cardo support on July 7 and got my first reply today. This thread had already solved my issue long ago.
  11. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    Yep, and no BT 5.0 in sight.
  12. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    My work order is 10 days out and still nothing. I've solved it as well, but I think I'll take the opportunity to congratulate them on the crappy support.
  13. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Had to go back and look over what BT 5.0 brings. I guess I'm just curious. Any real reason why BT 5.0 is wanted?
  14. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    5.0 is the latest generation spec and has more bandwidth (2x faster) and has longer range (4x). This should present a pretty marked increase in performance, in particular on range which Imho, is greatly embellished as it stands. With 5.0 they might be able to close the gap to from bravado to real world performance. However, knowing them, they'll just quadruple the claim, lol.

The spec has been out for 2 years and is pretty widely adapted. My guess is, with this PT Black, that is the last hurrah for 4.1 for the Top of the Line, and the next gen will feature 5.0. Imho, it pretty much has to, as it would be silly to believe Sena is not working on it. Cardo is too. Keep in mind that 4.1 dates to 2013.
    PTJCAL likes this.
  15. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    Don't most people get the Packtalk to use the DMC instead of Bluetooth? I haven't use the Bluetooth intercom since switching to the PT. Or does DMC use Bluetooth to connect?

I'm sure the next gen models will have BT 5.0. This is probably the last hurrah for the PT to generate some more sales. To be fair, the PT has been around since what, 2014? They have been better than Sena's offerings without much of a hardware update for a long time.
  16. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Bluetooth 5.0 provides a much more capable interface with ancillary systems like the BMW TFT and GPS and the latest phones.
    PTJCAL likes this.
  17. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I realized there is another major variable here that I overlooked. I got a new phone a few weeks ago. (Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5g) and I have been fiddling around with Bluetooth settings. That alone could account for the lack of Bluetooth dropouts.

The Samsung running (Android 10) replaced a Blackberry Key2 that runs Android 8.1. The new phone is much quicker to pair with bluetooth and I suspect has better hardware supporting it.

When I started using the new phone I am pretty sure I got less drop outs but still got some. I flipped up the antenna and the drop-outs stopped. I am not sure of the exact timing but my phone also had an update around the same time. Perhaps the update got rid of the last little dropout. Yesterday when riding a bit I put the antenna down and almost immediately got one single dropout. Didn't get any after that (with the antennae still down.)

There may be one other factor that I want to check that might explain the radio reception getting better.

..Tom
    PTJCAL likes this.
  18. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    So after a bit of an unavoidable delay here is my design for a snap fit cover for the Packtalk mount. If anyone wants one I will be happy to email you the STL file from which it can be 3D printed if you send me a PM with your email address. If you don't have a printer then I would suggest finding someone who does. Increasingly there are universities, colleges and libraries that have printers that the public may use with assistance. Another suggestion would be a local "Makers" club or any place that sell 3D printer supplies. There are also commercial printing services that will do it at a cost. I am not interested in printing and selling these.

If someone felt that they really needed some extra waterproofing protection my suggestion would be to pour a tiny amount of something like Plasti-dip into the bottom of the cover's recess for the contacts and letting it dry such that the resulting layer of Plasti-dip ends up being pressed against the contacts when the cover is snapped into place.

PT Mount Cover 3.jpg

Attached Files:

19. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice work.
    it would be interesting to see if its possible to build a backing plate that clamps in to the Sena integration mount on the Neotech 2 and other helmets that have factory integration for a headset, so that we could use that clamp spot to hold our cardo unit.
  20. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    PTB and Bixby issues.

I recently got a Samsung S20 +5g. I have disabled Bixby from the side button as well as disabling the far left screen (Samsung News?)

If I say "ok Google" directly to the phone Google assistant works as expected. If I use the ptb and say "okay Google " the Samsung Assistant "Bixby" takes over and doesn't do what I want.
    Any idea how totally shut down Bixby?

..Tom