1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes sir. Got that up full, and I actually have the Bold turned down quite a bit as it does seem to distort pretty quickly. It's just not a pleasing sound anywhere above background noise to drown out the wind. I'm probably being too picky, but saying they sound like a cheap transistor radio is pretty much on the mark. Might be the nature of the beast for what it is. I'll keep playing with them and see what I can come up with. Plugging some 3rd party headphones into the Cardo is going to be interesting to at least see if the weak link is the Bold or the JBL's. I'll circle back.
  2. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just sat at my table and ran some music through my setup from my iPhone to try, and I guess I just have a different set of ears but except the bass lacking some presence they sound pretty ok IMO.
    Grinnin likes this.
  3. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The XT should be on channel 2, but in GPS mode on the Cardo, not Phone mode.
  4. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    Well did some testing and ran into something interesting. So took a run to the hardware store, and trying a few different songs tooling around at approx 50 mph. I'm really having to run the volume up to really hear it, and I'm bumping the upper limit tone. Sounds like crap.

Double checked the Zumo and the media output is max. Hmm. So I'm on my way back, pull in and I turn off the bike first. Suddenly, the Cardo comes to life and actually doesn't sound so bad. My bike is a CVO Ultra with a 120, cam, pipes, etc. Not terribly loud, but it's seeming the exhaust is just totally canceling out what little bass there is. Start it back up, and the audio goes to hell again.

Grab my other helmet, plug it into the Harley and the speakers sound fine, pretty much the same as what the Cardo does with the engine off. I'm starting to wonder if Cardo has some kind of sound cancelling going on that's causing this. Very weird.
  5. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...huh.

Do you have the Noise dependent volume adjustment on? I forget the acronym for it.
  6. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not an audiophile but am very happy with the sound quality. I am a former Autocom user

Since changing my phone from an Android 8 Blackbery Key2 to an Android 10 Samsung S20 +5g I pretty much don't have Bluetooth dropouts.) I might have had two in the last three weeks but not sure as it could have been Spotify. Also the order of pairing doesn't matter anymore.

Pairing with Packtalk Bold is S20 as phone 1 and Zumo XT as phone 2 (Zumo needs to be paired as a phone since it handles phone tasks.)

The Samsung has some bloatware installed (Bixby) that initially interfered with the "voice dial" function of the PTB from opening Spotify or Tuninradio but cleaning that out and editing permissions means it all works as expected. "Voice call" from the PTB reaches the Google Assistant and any command I have tried works as expected.

I haven't ridden with others so have no comment on intercom but from what I have used it for I am very happy.

..Tom
  7. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the engine is turning on your helmet microphone which mutes the music.

There's a setting for microphone sensitivity. I'd turn that all the way down.

There's also a setting for how much the music fades to the background when on the intercom. That may help you.

If that's not enough, you may have to turn off the microphone to listen to music or get a quieter motorcycle.
  8. mrmagloo

Oddometer:
    Yeah I was looking at a number of the settings to do some tests. Sure would be nice if there was better documentation, and at least a default switch, so you can get back to square one with testing. I can confirm that in the house, it sounds pretty good for what it is. Once the engine starts, it's pretty bad. Very well might be the processing. We'll see. Thanks.
  9. rwiles

rwiles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Phone Won’t Answer

I have an iPhone X something, and a PTB. everything works as expected, except the ‘answer the phone’ function does not work, either verbally or with the buttons. Cardo had me delete and reload something, probably Garmin Connect or the Cardo app, and it started working again.

Then it quit again. Cardo sent me a new unit. It answered the phone for about a month, and quit again. I have the latest firmware. I haven’t deleted and reloaded anything yet, waiting for Cardo to respond.

Anyone else? Any fixes?
  10. rwiles

rwiles Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I get the best results with the Mic Sensitivity set to HIGH, and speak into the mike very softly. Face shield down helps too.
  11. rwiles

rwiles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mid you figure that out, please post it.
  12. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    I've been searching, but can't find the answer, need help.

Bold Duo pack. Had both paired to my phone for a year on a note 9, great for trips, didn't have to charge during the day. Latest updates.

Delete all pairings on units and phone. Reboots. Latest updates checked. Pair one unit to my phone, other to wife's Samsung.

This is where it gets weird. My music volume is very muted. Any button press makes a beep so loud I'm peeling myself off the ceiling. Turned down mic sensitivities. Only way we can listen to normal music is to switch to bt intercom. DMC seems like it's always on hot mic, there's no ability to turn it off.

Anyone got a link to what I'm doing wrong?

:dunno
  13. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    @Drif10 That issue has come up enough that I'm quite sure it's not anything you're doing. If you turn off your wife's PT, do your volumes return to normal? (I suspect they do)

I experienced this once with some buddies on a trip. As soon as I left range of the last buddy, all my volumes returned to normal. It hasn't happened since, though, so I'm not sure how I fixed it.

Things I would try:
    • Update firmware.
    • Try a factory reset on one of the PTs.
    • If that doesn't work, do it on the other one.
    I don't think there's a setting for this. It's just something weird that happens in DMC mode sometimes.
  14. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Just wondering if anyone else experiences this and/or knows what it means. I have up to date firmware on my Packtalk and the latest app on my Android phone. All of a sudden the phone starts showing a notification saying "Cardo Connect", the time at which it appeared and the Cardo helmet logo. It isn't a notification that can be cleared in the usual way by touching "Clear". It can only be cleared by running the app but that a short time later the notification appears again. Bit of a mystery.
  15. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Yup, sounds the same. I love the sound quality of the Cardo, the Sena controls are way better though. And this always hot intercom/volume issue is killing me. I think I'm just gonna buy a Freecom and set it up on her helmet and be done. Just go back to what I had before.

16. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you fiddle with mic sensitivity on her end? I've noticed that my partner's placement when riding means she gets more wind directly into her chin vent which runs over the mic - so I'll get a quick burst of open channel when it's really windy out before the noise isolation catches up.

I'm still on 5.6, since it works fine and I'm lazy, but 0 issues with quiet music with my iPhone. I also don't think I've ever wiped/repaired to my phone since I got my second Bold and paired the old one to the partner's phone.
  17. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    :photog
  18. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you tried adjusting the volume in the app?

Assuming your music is coming from your phone have you turned up the media volume on your phone?

..Tom
  19. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just started happening to me a few days ago. I suspect that there is an issue causing the app to run even when it hasnt been launched.
  20. Juan Loboe

Juan Loboe Long timer

Oddometer:
    My PackTalk Bold works fine...but I kinda butchered my Shoei RF-1200 installing the speakers. I wasn’t that impressed with the RF-1200...but now my left ear gets scratched every time I take my bucket off...and I’m even less impressed. 45mm speakers are pretty kind of large for trouble free installation and a good fit in THAT helmet. I wouldn’t even try in anything older, like my Arai RF-Q.

Next time, I’ll just ditch the JBL speakers for a smaller set. Helmets are too expensive to do what I did to that one...