1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had that problem with my Arai helmet. The foam behind the speakers was gently squashed just a bit using a wooden dowel. It took only a bit to generate enough room so my ears are comfy. The fraction that the foam was crushed will not have a detrimental effect on the safety of the helmet and the speakers sound great.

Jon
  2. Juan Loboe

Juan Loboe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Know what you mean.

Just finished doing some creative re-lining with self-adhesive felt. The main problem was the diameter of the speakers; the Shoei accommodations were not wide enough, and the RF 1200 has a plastic liner that I had to alter. That left an offending piece of radius to scratch my ear. When I removed that plastic piece, which also serves as a holder for the cheek pad snaps, it saw fit to pull away from the foam lining. Voila...a little Super Glue took care of that. Then I cut a pattern in the self stick felt, and self-stuck it. It really isn't noticeable...and it'll work. Moreover, it no longer scratches my ear.

I just wonder how long it'll last...my RF 1100 was my go-to and do-it-all helmet for a decade. The Arai was for dress-up;) It still looks new.
  3. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Strange, when I installed the Packtalks on my Arai and my wife's Shoei, apart from some head scratching to get everything out and back in neatly, everything fit beautifully.
  4. WQFTruckster

WQFTruckster Adventure Engineer

Oddometer:
    I'm having a new issue that only seems to have come up since updating to 5.7. I can't seem to answer incoming phone calls from the PTB. It rings in the headset but neither saying "answer" or pushing buttons on the unit will answer it. It just keeps ringing until it goes to voicemail. I tried a full reset, connecting only my iphone 11 to the PTB (sitting at my desk, not on the bike) I tried calling many times from my wife's phone and the only way I could get it to answer was to pick up my iphone and swipe to answer. This is an issue since I usually ride with my phone in my pocket. Anybody else have this issue?

Is it just me, or does it seem like things get progressively more buggy with every firmware update? I think they peaked around v5.3.
  5. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine seems to work better than ever.

..Tom
  6. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    OK - I am ordering a PackTalk Bold today. I've read through this entire thread and am a little confused about some of the things I see. I am not real tech-savy and don't have a heavy requirement of this system, I just want to be able to pair with other Cardo riders and listen to music from my phone (Android). No pairing to a GPS, FitBit, Vibrider seat, ect., lol.

Is there some procedure I should not do, that Cardo instructs you to do? I know Garmin is kicking peoples asses with having them pair up their GPS devices to several different apps.
  7. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope. Just follow the pairing instructions in the quick guide for your phone, and it should be pretty easy to create / join a group with your friends.
  8. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  9. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:
    My new Pactalk Bold JBL arrived a couple days ago and I updated the firmware and paired it to my Samsung Galaxy Note 9. I'll install it in my helmet tonight.

One question: is it preferable to use stick on backing plate or the clip to secure it to the helmet?
  10. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went with the clip just so that I can confirm the location is good, and that I want to keep the thing, before gooping up my helmet. However, after seeing how secure the clip is, I see no need for the stick-on mount.
  11. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    My clip crowded my left ear too much so I went with the glue plate. Depends on the helmet, your head size, etc.
  12. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    The clip also provides an anchor point for the mic and speaker leads.
  13. WQFTruckster

WQFTruckster Adventure Engineer

Oddometer:
    I used the glue plate first, but it came off after a couple of weeks, so I went to the clip. Had to modify the neck roll on my helmet slightly to accommodate it, but it seems very secure.
  14. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:
    Couldn’t get the clip to my liking on my Bell MX-9 Adventure so I used the glue plate. Not the easiest helmet to set up but I think I have everything optimized. If it wasn’t 105*F outside I’d go for a ride and test it out. Since it is, the test ride will have to wait.
  15. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glue plate because I have a street helmet and dual sport helmet, buy an extra glue plate / clip with mic and speakers and you are set-up for both!

For years I used heavy duty velcro to do the same thing with Uclear units. Worked on the street and dirt.
  16. Dean1250gs

Dean1250gs n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all. No mention of Interphone intercoms on this site - maybe it's not available in the states? I've been using a twin Tour set up from Interphone for years and have been very pleased. However, my new set up (Mobile phone, TT Rider 550 and pillion intercom) is stretching the single BT channel and causing problems. I've ordered the new Avant twin channel set which, I'm assured by their representative here in the UK, will hook up flawlessly and permit full use of phone, GPS, mp3, voice control, intercom, etc etc. For those interested it is BT 5.0 so much better than alternatives still using 4.0+. The only downside (although not for me as I rarely ride in a "pack") is it doesn't appear to have DMC, although it can connect up to 8 other jntercoms.
    I'll update after I've used it for a little while.
    Anybody else out there used the Avant as yet?

A couple of things I noticed is, I have my Zumo XT mounted on the Left side of the dash which is the stock location, which is brand new as well. This is obviously the same side as the Cardo is mounted on the helmet less than 2 foot away. I still ran into an unacceptable level of intermittent drop outs - with that little antenna up or down. If I turned my head to the left, it got worse. I was actually quite surprised, as the wireless ear buds I tried with the XT before I received the Cardo was perfect with zero dropouts, so it's definitely the Cardo, yes, running v5.7. Not sure what can be done to improve this, but not pleased there.

The Hey Cardo commands were very hit or miss, even trying to maintain a normal, level voice. It's kind of odd that you don't get a prompt that says, it heard the Hey Cardo, but it didn't understand the command. You're just left there wondering what went wrong. Odd.

Also, I have to say for supposed high end JBL speakers, my 13 year old helmet speakers with the other system sounds much richer and fuller. I was rather disappointed how tinny these things sounded with 320kb MP3's, even with the bass boost. I thought it was so poor, that I eventually just turned them way down just over the wind noise. I mean even my ear buds sound alot better, especially with the lows. Yes, I've tested moving the helmet to ensure the speaker is aligned to my ear, and even installed the extra spacer to get it closer, and no joy. I did give a split second thought about the $90 upgrade to the 45's, but I'm hearing that the difference is minimal at best, so it sounds like a waste of money. Imho, they really need to allow a custom EQ, beyond the Std, Bass Boost, and Voice, which is pretty limited.

This is my first time using a BT system, but not very impressed. I'm also hearing that intercom range is greatly exaggerated, so I'm bracing myself there. Overall, seems like I'm giving up alot of audio performance to cut the cord. Yes, the DMC is a benefit that stands above, but that has yet to be tested. Hopefully that will be the saving grace.[/QUOTE]
  17. Dean1250gs

Dean1250gs n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok, so now I've got a Packtalk Bold JBL (wife's headset still Interphone Tour). Straight away a much better unit, updater worked flawlessly so now on 5.7. App works fine, voice control seems very reliable, connects to phone, GPS and my wife's bt headset with no apparent problems. Music / radio sound quality great. Not tried DMC as yet as not been riding with any fellow users.[/QUOTE]

18. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    Find somebody somewhere that has a Packtalk just to meet up and test it. You'll LOVE how DMC works compared to Bluetooth. After the initial setup, you never have to touch any buttons to talk, even as they leave and rejoin your "pack". It just works!

And then if the person you met up with is weird, you can leave and block them. :)
  19. Sir Al

Sir Al Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to jump in.Trying to set up a Garmin Motana 650t with a Bluetooth transmitter to connect to Cardo Packtalk has anyone here tried this,and which BT transmitter did they use
  20. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Montana thread has lots on this. https://advrider.com/f/threads/garmin-montana.688775/

Taotronics seems to be popular lately.