1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. Dean1250gs

Dean1250gs n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Hal

Yep, one reason for getting it was the DMC. OK, I'll use it infrequently but got a mate with one that I meet up with now and again. In fact, COVID permitting, we're off to Picos (Spain) in a fortnight for 10 days, if Spain still on UK list (fir quarantine) we'll spend the time touring the UK. So, hopefully DMC will get plenty of use ....... and hopefully I can "bridge" in my wife too.

HAL 9000 likes this.
  2. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    What I love most about these units is the ease of use when riding with the wife. I've never bothered to use mine for anything else actually... music, gps etc. But when my wife and I turn on the headsets, it's one button. Turn it on, they're already paired and ready to go. No fiddling.
    cblais19 likes this.
  3. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That and music for me! I love how the DMC instantly pairs and is ready to go for my partner and I.
  4. Minu

Minu n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello guys!I have an problem with my Cardo Packtalk bold, my voice comand didn't work to good, the only command that he want is for radio and battery.When i received the unit i try to do an update, i received some error but finaly i finish the update with succes.I try the unit with another phone, didn't work.Any solution? :(
  5. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found the voice rather unreliable too. Reading here and elsewhere, it seems that it's rather hit or miss depending on your loudness, tone, and of course clarity. I guess practice makes perfect. I think the bottom-line is, don't expect it to work like Apple, Amazon, or Google. It's just not to that level.
  6. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine works fine most of the time. The only time I have any sort of issue is when stopped. When moving at any speed I've tried with front of modular helmet up or closed.

Microphone placement is important as is speaking in a relatively normal voice. You can also adjust the microphone sensitivity in the app.

..Tom
  7. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, it does seem to work better with different people. For example, the Cardo guy on the Youtube videos with the slight accent and lisp nails it pretty well. Perhaps they modeled it off of him?
  8. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to project your words as if you are talking to a big audience. Don't slur or mumble.. Also microphone placement is very important. Too much away from your mouth or in the chin vent of your helmet and it get dicey. Never had a voice issue with the Bold... YMMV
  9. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Microphone directly in front of your mouth almost touching your lips - check the microphone orientation on the boom mikes, often the problem is that the mike is facing the wrong direction and you are talking to the back instead of the front. The little raised thing should be towards you.

Speak in a normal speaking voice - "Hey Cardo Music On", "Hey Cardo Volume Up", the microphone sensitivity adjustment in the APP works well for me.

My Aussie Mate had lots of trouble for a while till he learned to speak 'Murican.
    I think they now have a language selection button in the APP.

Once you get it to work it is the best.
  10. rwiles

rwiles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me, too. They sent me a new unit, since the flaw was present when I first installed it. It worked for about a month, and then refused to answer again. I set the mic sensitivity to High, and speak in a very soft voice, and it sometimes works. I just bought a Zumo XT, and now I can answer the phone on the GPS, so it is less of an issue for me. But, I still would like to find a fix. Cardo has been moderately helpful, but they have ignored my last request for assistance.
  11. WQFTruckster

WQFTruckster Adventure Engineer

Oddometer:
    I tried reinstalling the 5.7 firmware using the updater and then did another full reset. So far that seems to have resolved the phone answering issue. We'll see if it lasts.
  12. Travman

Travman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve had the Freecom 4+ for a while and voice commands always worked fine. Recently picked up the new Black model and was having issues with voice command. Cardo support suggested decreasing the sensitivity level and increasing the voice recognition level. This setting adjustment was a huge improvement on command success.

BTW - Cardo support responded to my email within 4 hours. :thumbup
    bigjohnsd and V-Tom like this.
  13. Vansmak

Vansmak n00b

Oddometer:
    Need some help! I just purchased a PackTalk Bold Duo unit so my wife and I can listen to the radio and talk at the same time. I'm under the impression that I can share the radio from the group admin over DMC and still be able to talk.

I paired the two units in both DMC and Bluetooth and while music sharing works flawlessly, I can't seem to find a way to share the radio ( yes I know we could each set the radio in our individual units...in theory,. But my wife is technically challenged and I want to keep it plug and play for her) the music sharing button on the app is greyed out and attempting to share it manually doesn't work either. Doesn't make sense that music can be shared and works but the radio can't over DMC?

If I switch to Bluetooth mode it works fine but this mode doesn't lower the volume on the radio when we talk back and forth. Any suggestions on getting this to work in DMC mode?! I'm pulling my hair out! TIA!

Also - both packs have the latest firmware.
  14. chris3g

chris3g n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

having an issue with distorted music playback with my packtalk slim and was hoping some other users could help me determine if this is normal or if there is a problem with my specific unit. I have a slim with the latest firmware and 40mm JBL speakers connected to an iphone11 pro. When the volume on the iphone is turned up there is significant distortion especially in the bass frequencies (sounds like over-driving the speakers), i find that i have to turn my phone volume down at least 3-4 clicks from max in order to have acceptable audio quality. This happens regardless of the volume setting on the packtalk slim. Using the JBL profiles for bass boost makes it worse, and vocal slightly better. The iphone has no EQ enabled and the same thing happens regardless of the source app (local music, spotify, tidal, etc). Lastly, i plugged the 40mm JBLs directly to the phone with the 3.5mm connector and do not hear any of the same distortion even at max volume. Is there anyone else with a similar setup who can let me know if you have the same experience?
  15. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m using a Bold normal, but don’t have any distortion unless I turn Bass Boost on (tried it once, never again). I have my phone’s BT volume on max, and use the Bold’s adjustment to change the volume.
  16. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    Plug regular headphones/earbuds into the Packtalk and see how it sounds. If they sound fine, you have defective speakers. If it's distorted even in other headphones/earbuds, you have a defective Packtalk unit. But to answer your question, no, it should not sound like that.
  17. chris3g

chris3g n00b

Oddometer:
    thanks for the feedback. Yes i have already tested the cardo speakers directly with the phone, and the cardo slim unit with different headphones, and the issue definitely comes from packtalk unit and not the speakers.
  18. CNS-IT

CNS-IT Let Go

Oddometer:
    Spent 2 hours trying to pair the CTB units together. Failed. Unable to share music, unable to talk to the other unit. Units would lose connection to the phone they were paired to. Really disappointed. Sending them back and goin back to Sena.
  19. ChuckS

ChuckS Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I searched, and didn't find anything....

We tried our Bolds for the first time today. The BEEP when any button is pressed is deafening. I played with the volume controls in the app, and was unable to change the beep volume. So, I turned the silly thing off for our ride. When we returned, I updated the firmware to 5.7. No change, the BEEP is still INTENSE.

I Googled, I searched the Cardo website, and I sent them an inquiry asking if there is a way to lower the volume or eliminate the beep. Does anybody here have an answer?

I REALLY want these to work so my other half & I can communicate, but I have bad ears. The BEEP is a deal breaker unless I can adjust it.

Thanks!
  20. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The what?