1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you update the firmware? I haven’t had phone disconnection issues in thousands of miles of usage - although the app recognition can be spotty, and using the Quick Setup guide to pair the units using the controls worked flawlessly for me.
  2. bicyclenut

bicyclenut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm, either you have a bad unit or something is not pairing right. Did you try a firmware upgrade and master reset on both units and try again. Try and pair to phone and use App to setup a mesh group.

I have a group of four riders from 3 states and we have had almost zero issues. We setup our group over 2 years ago and we have no issue pairing up anytime we get together and ride whether it be 2 of us or all of us. We met up last weekend and when one of the guys met me on the toad who I had not ridden with in over a year we paired up as soon as we were within range, no buttons, no restarts, they just paired. The next day when 3 of us rode together we turn Cardo units on and we were all paired almost instantly. The next day when we met up with 4th rider, we all paired up again as soon as we all turned on units. As we separate from each other we all continue to communicate with other riders in our group until we are all out of range of each other.

We all listen to music and sometimes take or make phone calls while riding in a group and using mesh network and have zero problems. This a far from the mess we had with Sena units. The 50 series may have fixed most of that, but why try and fix something now that is working and took Sena 2 models to get right.
    V-Tom and bigjohnsd like this.
  3. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    The beep should be the system volume. Make sure after you adjust the slider you hit save in the top right (on the Android app).
    Sir Al likes this.
  4. Jb777

Jb777 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone new user looking for some advice.

my buddy and I (smowmobilers) are looking to buy communicators new size we frequently ride together. We’ve narrowed it down to sena and Cardo.

I read some older posts (2018) saying with the Cardo while playing music and trying to talk on intercom the Cardo doesn’t always do both of these things flawlessly ei. Music too loud still, can’t understand intercom.

Basically we both want to be able to listen to our own music. be “meshed” together. And when a hard corner or other riders are approaching The lead be able to quickly tell the other person what is happening

thank you in Advance for any help and reply’s
  5. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I listen to music all the time when riding, and the instant me or my partner starts talking the music cuts way down. I’ve only had issues hearing her because of wind noise, never music.
  6. bicyclenut

bicyclenut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are 4 of us using Cardo Packtalk Bolds on regular moto trips. At some point some or all of us are listening to music and there are no issues with intercom cutting in over the music. As ride leader I was probably the last to trust this but after using it for some time now I find it works perfectly and seamlessly. Based upon using the units at gas stops and being right next to one of other riders and watching them talk I can say there is a VERY slight delay as you can see the voice slightly out of sync with lips moving but this is not anything that would cause an issue when riding.
  7. webnetxpress

webnetxpress Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    same here, 4+ users on PackTalks with music playing in background. as soon as someone starts talking the music level drop - you can still hear it which is cool- then after about 30 seconds of silence it kicks back in to the full music volume. perfect in my mind. i highly recommend the cardo over the sena. note- the sena in mesh mode only last about 4-5 hours where the packtalks last all day (8 hours on my rides).
    bicyclenut likes this.
  8. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey folks, I have not been on this thread for a while. Apologies if my question was answered a while back. A search didn't turn it up.

I have 2 PackTalk Bolds, which I bought as a Duo pack when the Bold was first released. I updated the firmware when they were still pretty new and haven't touched it since. I think they were both on 4.2 or something like that.

I wanted better sound. I ordered a set of the JBL 45mm speakers, which should arrive tomorrow. I figured I needed to update the firmware to give me the best sound. I started working on that this evening and that is where things have fallen apart.

I started with my spare Bold. Wisely, apparently.

I went to the Cardo site and found the page that should let me download the latest updater. It didn't recognize my credentials. I backed up and went to the Community forum, which let me login using my credentials from 2 years ago.

There, it said I need to download the latest Updater, and not to update via the Community. There was a link right there to download the Updater, which I did. It appears that the Updater that was installed is v3.0.1. It started running as a background process (on Windows 10).

I connected my Bold via USB cable. Windows started popping up notifications from the Cardo Updater. First it would say to Create the connection to the Bold, or something like that. That would go away. Then it would say "the PackTalk is turned off" or something like that. Repeat. Looping through the same two notifications, over and over. Never connecting. Pressing the buttons on the Bold to turn it on doesn't seem to to anything.

I tried doing a factory reset on the Bold - by holding down the front 3 buttons for 5 seconds. The LED flashed purple for some seconds and then turned off.

Retry connecting it to Windows and get the same results as before. Whenever it's connected to Windows, the LED on the Bold turns solid red and I get the cycle of those notifications over and over.

I did some searching and found where somebody posted here that it didn't work for them on Windows, but it did on their Mac. So, I pulled out my Macbook Pro (MacOS 10.15.4 or .6?). I went through the same process. This time, the Updater said it was successfully installed, but I could not find it anywhere. I connected the Bold to the Macbook and nothing happened at all (except the LED turned solid red).

I took a break. I came back a while later and went back to the update page that wouldn't accept my login credentials before. It still wouldn't. But, I noticed the tab to Register. I clicked that and registered both my Bolds, while creating a new login. Then, I logged in through that and downloaded the Updater again. This time, the Windows version that downloaded was version 2.3.0. I could tell during the install that it uninstalled the version I had installed previously (3.0.1) and made me reboot at the end of the install.

Once rebooted, I tried again. Same exact behavior as before.

Then I tried the same thing on my Macbook. Logged in (not to the Community) and downloaded the Updater from there. Like on Windows, this time on the Macbook it installed (exact same appearance as the previous Updater installer) but this time left a Cardo Update app in my Mac Applications folder.

I ran that on the Mac and still no joy. Still nothing but a solid red LED.

But, I took a gamble and connected my primary Bold to the Macbook. With that, it popped right up to inform me of an available firmware update. I took it. It worked. In the Cardo Connect app on my phone, with my primary Bold, it now shows an option for different Audio profiles. Yay.

I tried the backup Bold again and still nothing.

I unplugged the backup Bold from the computer and turned it on. I put it into Bluetooth pairing mode and re-paired my phone to it (since that was lost in the earlier Factory Reset). I can still play music from my phone through the Bold. I opened the Cardo Connect app on my phone and it sees the backup Bold. I initiated a Factory Reset of the Bold via the app. I could see the LED turn purple and then the Bold turned off.

I tried connecting it to the Macbook again. Still the same. Nothing happens on the Mac and the LED goes solid red.

So, I conclude a few things:

- if you login to the Cardo Community forum, it will prompt you to download the Updater. But, the link it provides results in you downloading a BAD Updater.
    - The bad updater that came down via the Community forum must have done something to my backup Bold that has fudged up its ability to connect to either of my laptops and get a firmware update.

It is so weird to me that it won't connect to the Updater on either of my laptops, but it still works. At least, it works for connecting to it from my phone, running the Connect app, and streaming music from my phone. I don't have a way to test DMC comms between the two Bolds.

Does anybody know any secret handshake or something I can do to get this Bold to connect to the Updater on either of my laptops?

If you made it this far, THANK YOU.
  9. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Holy Moly. I bet that’s the sanitized version too. Only idea I have is uninstall everything from your PC using remove programs, download the updated via the Firmware Update Tool page again, and try connecting after another reset on the Bold.
    Sonny S. and StuartV like this.
  10. StuartV

Oddometer:
    I don't think that will help - because after I basically gave up on updating my backup Bold, I connected my primary Bold and everything worked perfectly. So, I don't think it's anything to do with anything on either of my laptops. I think the bogus Updater broke my Bold and either it needs to be replaced or there is some special sequence of buttons to press to make it talk to my laptop. Or maybe some special software that Cardo has.

But, if Cardo Support doesn't get back to me quickly enough and nobody else offers a better suggestion, I will try that...

My main concern was getting my primary Bold updated to work with the JBL speakers that are arriving tomorrow, so I can leave tomorrow evening for a long weekend riding down to North Carolina and back. Can you say Cherohaulass Skyway? MMmmmMMmmmm. I knew you could. :) That mission is accomplished, so it's okay if the backup sits for a while, while I figure out what to do with it.

The sad part is that my buddies that I'm meeting in NC are still using old Sena gear. I still have my old SMH-10 units, and they still work. And I still have a helmet with a Sena helmet clamp and mic on it. So, while I COULD just use that helmet and a Sena for this trip, I'm going to wear my helmet with the Cardo setup for the trip down and the trip back and take my other helmet and a Sena just to use while I'm there. Because, while I do want to be able to talk to "my boys" while we're riding together, the Cardo is SO much nicer for the long rides down and back. And I'm too lazy to swap units back and forth on my one helmet.
    cblais19 likes this.
  11. scottydawg

scottydawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @StuartV any chance your spare unit needs to be charged up before it will work / update? The solid red light tells me it is charging.
  12. StuartV

Oddometer:
    It's a good thought. But, I fully charged it yesterday afternoon, before I started all that.
  13. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this is what you did but did you download the updater from Cardo? The page is:

https://www.cardosystems.com/support/packtalk-bold-support/

It downloads an app onto your computer for updating the Packalk bold.

..Tom
  14. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, seems like you've tried everything. When I first got my Bold Duo at the end of June, I went through the same thing. Joined the Community, filled in all the detail, and got the upgrade offered there, that kind of messed things up. I contacted Cardo support, but didn't get a response for two weeks. By the time they finally responded, I had already figured out the need to download the installer to get most recent update.

When they did finally respond, I did mention that the ability to allow the Community to connect and install an incorrect update to the Packtalks was totally unacceptable, and all I got was a little chuckle - that they hear it alot. I'm like WTF, have you ever considered that perhaps that if it was that common of an issue, you could SAVE on the 2 week support backlog if you guys took 5 minutes to fix the Community to NOT accept Packtalk connections and avoid the user confusion? All I got was dead silence.

I know there must be some truly smart guys working at this place, but they are kind of MIA in the support area. Oh, and I asked to PURCHASE a spare Quick Guide, that is ridiculously tough to print in a readable manner, and apparently that's totally impossible. After multiple attempts to follow up on that has not returned an answer in now over 2 months now. You'd think that if you buy the Duo for two people, they could at least breakdown and provide 2 Pocket Guides that cost them perhaps 50 cents. Ridiculous.
    StuartV likes this.
  15. StuartV

Oddometer:
    Yes, that was the second Updated I installed (on my Mac and my Windows laptops).
  16. StuartV

Oddometer:
    I emailed Cardo last night. Auto-reply said they would respond in 2-3 days. I'm leaving on a trip this afternoon. So, I called them this morning.

The bad news is, after walking the support guy through what I've done, he basically said "Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." He said if neither of my computer's recognize it, and I was able to successfully update my other one, then this one is beyond any repair I can do.

So, the good news is that he sent me an email with the details on how to get an RMA and, though I'm technically 4 months out of warranty, he said that since it was their Updater that appears to have killed it, he thinks it will be no problem to replace it under warranty.

I sent him the info he asked for and am just waiting for an RMA to come back, so I can send the dead one back.
    Sonny S. and scottydawg like this.
  17. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quick question. Does the Bold fit an AFX FX-39 well and an Arai XD4 ?
    Thanks
  18. scottydawg

scottydawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It does fit an XD4 very well.
    Sonny S. likes this.
  19. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've installed a bunch of PT Bolds and after looking at the AFX FX-39 it certainly looks to me like you won't have any problem installing the PT Bold on that helmet. The PT Bold comes with two mounting brackets. One is a steel clip that slides over the shell and under the liner, if that won't work on your FX-39, and I think it will, then they also provide an Adhesive mout Plate. I used the Adhesive Mount on my Klim Krios and it has stayed on just fine.
    Sonny S. likes this.
  20. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    @StuartV Try another USB cable. Many of us have found that some USB cables will charge it but won’t let the software recognize it for firmware updates. And yes, I’ve even seen where the USB that *comes with the Packtalk* won’t work but some other random USB works. It’s bizarre and may not be your issue, but it’s something to try.
    scottydawg likes this.