Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m unable to see the firmware version of the Bold in the app. Could you be more specific about how to find that info? Thanks.
    Grinnin likes this.
  2. Tyestick

Tyestick Hooligan at heart

Oddometer:
    Once you link your bold through the Cardo app, you can see the firmware of the app itself. Not the actual Cardo unit. I believe, in order to see the firmware version of the unit, it needs to be plugged into a computer.
  3. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right, it just gives a popup saying that your Palktalk’s firmware is out of date / an update is available , at least on iOS.
  4. Tyestick

Oddometer:
    I’ve got my packtalk bold plugged into the computer.

I went to Cardo’s website, downloaded the most ‘current’ update, but it never told which update I had on the unit to begin with.

I have no idea if I had already installed 5.7 on my unit.

Unless I’m missing something, the fact that you can’t see what firmware version you have on the packtalk sucks.
    Grinnin likes this.
  5. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have iOS, the Cardo Connect says “New firmware available. V5.7” or similar as soon as it connects to my Palktalk. I have to imagine it does the same for Android. If it doesn’t do that, you must be up to date.
  6. Tyestick

Oddometer:
    Which would confirm my initial thoughts, which is that I’ve already updated to the latest firmware, yet I’m still experiencing massive amounts of disconnections.

It’s very frustrating when I’m using the unit for GPS, and it’ll continuously disconnect.
  7. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you connecting it to a phone or GPS? The only cutouts I have are occasional brief ones on left had side head checks when I bury my iPhone in my left hand side pocket.
    Grinnin likes this.
  8. Tyestick

Oddometer:
    Connected to my phone. It’ll disconnect from Bluetooth, sometimes won’t even reconnect.
  9. Tyestick

Oddometer:
    Played around with the installer tonight, and was able to get the Cardo Updater to see that my unit was plugged in.

It did say that it was running firmware version 5.7, but I’m still not 100% if that was from when I originally purchased the unit and did the update, or if it was from earlier tonight.

Regardless, as of now, all firmware is current.
    I’m hoping this solves the issues I’ve been having.

I’ll report back if anything changes.

92CFBB69-FA76-4BDF-8281-9D38826FF1FB.jpeg
  10. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have entirely explainable cutouts when turning my head quickly. Like @cblais19 . Turn slowly and it doesn't cut out.

I did have trouble reconnecting to the phone when trying to join a new group. The app would get stuck looking for something so I'd kill the app. It didn't like that. I was clearly selecting the wrong thing on the app screen. While I'd like them to make clearer menus and fewer options strewn around the top and bottom of the screen, I'll again have to accept that this is my error.
    boulet_boulet likes this.
  11. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    Hey, did anyone ever try the “click to link” feature in the original Packtalk? As I understand it, if you were riding down the road and saw Packtalk on another rider’s helmet, you could try and connect to them to chat even if you had no idea who they were. This feature went away with firmware updates, but sometimes I think it would be cool to still be able to do that.

IMG_5961.jpg
  12. Tyestick

Oddometer:
    I’m back to report that while the disconnects still happen, it’s not at the rate that I was experiencing previously.

On a different note, is there a way to have the Cardo radio volume lower momentarily when the Apple GPS is giving directions?
  13. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might be able to have that phone connection have “priority”? Otherwise the GPS connection stream is meant to force that sort of interruption. If you were playing music from your phone, it would do the volume adjustment naturally of course.
  14. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    The easiest thing to do is to use your phone for radio. IHeart radio comes to mind. There are others.
  15. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I forget what the setting is but in the app in audio you can change priority. I have my Android phone and a Garmin Zumo connected. (Connected as Phone 1 and Phone 2.) Sound from either one will mute or dim the Packtalk radio.

..Tom
  16. Tyestick

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips. I didn’t realize that I was going to have to use a ‘stand alone’ app. I’ll just continue using Pandora/Spotify.

On a different note, I experienced a issue that was pretty annoying today. Not sure if it’s related to the Cardo, or my iPhone 11.

After about 30’ish minutes of riding, the master volume on my iPhone 11 would lower about 3 quarters, leaving my Cardo volume low to the point to where I can’t hear anything.

What’s the deal?
  17. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an iPhone side problem, the Cardo Doesn’t control device side volume.
  18. Covert

Covert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a feature that dynamically adjusts your phones volume based on your environments noise levels.

Open the Cardo app on your iPhone, connect to your Cardo device, then go to settings -> audio settings -> auto volume. Try turning it off and then power cycling your Cardo device.
  19. Tyestick

Oddometer:
    I believe it to be a iPhone problem as well. I just don’t understand why when my iPhone is in my front jacket pocket, after a certain amount of time, the master volume automatically lowers. No buttons are being pressed, nothing. Maybe a iPhone firmware issue?

I’m familiar with this feature, and it seems to work as advertised.

I’m referring to the ’Master Bluetooth Volume’.
    When you activate the control panel on the iPhone, you’ll see the volume control. I have that volume maxed out, and then control the volume through the actual Cardo headset.

——————————————————————

Edit: I switched the ‘change volume with buttons’ to ‘off’. Hopefully that’ll solve my issue.
    Covert likes this.
  20. Covert

Covert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve seen what’s happening to you before.

Check your sound settings to see if you have headphone safety enabled, it can lower your volume when it detects elevated decibel levels. There may be another spot where audio levels can be dynamically adjusted depending on your OS version.
    Tyestick likes this.