Cardo scala rider - Motorcycle Bluetooth & DMC Systems - Information and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Cardo-scala rider, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Cardo-scala rider

Cardo-scala rider Motorcycle Bluetooth and DMC Mesh Systems

Oddometer:
    Hello Inmates-

With the introduction in 2004 of the scala rider Bluetooth line of headsets, Cardo literally pioneered a new product category that was non-existent until then. Working closely with our best advisers, the motorcycling community all over the world, Cardo has come up with solutions and innovations that are unmatched in the market. Almost every feature and function that has become a benchmark or industry standard, was introduced by Cardo (some examples). Today, the scala rider line includes the finest and most advanced devices in the category; from solid entry level products to the most feature rich communication and entertainment system available, regardless of the helmet you wear or the machine you ride.

We've joined the ADVRider community to provide information, helpful tips, and encourage general discussion to ensure you get the most from your device. If you have a question, please feel free to ask it here and we'll do our best to get you an answer. Of course, you can also send us an email at support@cardosystems.com or call 1 800-488-0363.

Please visit cardosystems.com for information regarding all of our products and access to software updates via Cardo Community.

Enjoy!!

Sincerely,
    Cardo Systems

**Latest Updates**
    (click here for all Release Notes)

Cardo SmartSet App v3.0.5 update now available on iOS/Android:

- Integrated functionality of the scala rider SMARTPACK along with the SmartSet App.
    - Operation of the new features in the scala rider PACKTALK from the App namely:

• Private Chat - A One-on-One conversation with a member of the group
    • DMC Bridge - Add a Bluetooth headset or caller on a mobile phone to the DMC conversation
    - Setting up the device name via the DMC Mode pop-up message
    - Customization of the Parallel Audio Streaming Settings (volume) for the scala rider PACKTALK and SMARTPACK.

1.jpg 2.jpg 7.jpg 3.jpg

------------------------------------------------------

PACKTALK and SMARTPACK v3.1 is now available on Cardo Community:
    • New Feature added: FM Sharing between 2 riders
    • Hebrew menus and voice announcements (configuration is available via Cardo Community)
    • Minor Bug fixes
    PACKTALK mobile Mini Guide
    SMARTPACK mobile Mini Guide

-----------------------------------------

FREECOM iOS App now available:
    • iOS users can download the "FREECOM SmartSet" app designed specifically for FREECOM 1, FREECOM 2, and FREECOM 4 models.
    • Android users will use the "Cardo SmartSet" app in the Google Play Store.
    --------------------------
    **What is DMC?:

Cardo's flagship product, the scala rider PACKTALK, is the world's first to offer true group riding communication. ALL Bluetooth headsets (ours included) operate on a daisy-chain structure, in which one single broken link can disrupt communication for the whole group. While PACKTALK does retain a Bluetooth Intercom Mode, the significant breakthrough is DMC Intercom Mode.

DMC (Dynamic Mesh Communication), conceived and developed in Cardo’s R&D labs, is the only wireless technology that maintains uninterrupted full-duplex intercom conversations between up to 15 riders, irrespective of changes in the physical position of each rider in the group. The dynamic, auto-adaptive mesh technology seamlessly overcomes disruptions within split seconds, even if one or more participants venture out of range or drop off for any reason. Whenever a PACKTALK user cannot directly connect with group members beyond his/her intercom reach, it will re-adjust instantly and re-connect to the most suitable other member in the group in order to ‘leapfrog’ to the remote PACKTALK user (please see video for visual example).
  2. Cardo-scala rider

Oddometer:
    Our new DMC (Dynamic Mesh Communication) Intercom Technology.

This takes riding with 2-15 other people to a completely new, unprecedented level:
  3. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Instead of bringing out new models all the time, how about getting your existing stuff to work as advertised.
    Dan Diego and zilla like this.
  4. boricua700

boricua700 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1
  5. Cardo-scala rider

Oddometer:
    Please let me know what model you have and the issue(s) you are referencing. I may be able to address it here, or I can line you up with a tech who can assist over the phone. Furthermore, if it is within the 2-year warranty period and not working as advertised we would like the opportunity to fix/replace it.
    little foot likes this.
  6. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    G9. Cannot get the buddy system to work. There are about 6 of us who ride together and none of us can make it happen.
    We bought a power set, and when we go out of range the only way to reconnect is if one of us presses the appropriate button then both of us have to speak before it will reconnect. As my mate lives on a planet far, far away, he never speaks so I can't contact him. Plus lots of connection issues, won't connect, then half an hour into a ride they will suddenly start working. Would never buy another.
  7. Cardo-scala rider

Oddometer:
    For clarification on the different intercom operations (please forgive if you already know this), the One+8 Toggled Intercom feature (Buddy List) operates completely separate from the Conference Intercom feature ("A" and "B" pairings), and so we must address each separately as well.

Pertaining to One+8 Intercom Toggling:

This feature is a one-on-one intercom operation between you and any other member of your Buddy List. When speaking with one, you must end that conversation in order to reach out to another one. If a rider on your Buddy List is engaged in conversation with someone else (or on a phone call) when you attempt to reach them, you will hear "Unavailable" on your end. There are 3 different ways to start an intercom conversation with someone on your Buddy List, the most common of which is to clearly state their "Buddy Name". Remember, in order for the G9 to even have a name, it must be plugged into the computer (at least once) and registered via the Cardo Community. This process forces you to assign a "Buddy Name" to your specific module, and it is the name by which others will say in order to reach you for intercom.

Troubleshooting:
    If you and your riding buddies have all assigned names to your G9s and are operating them as outlined above without success, please do the following:
    -Connect to the Cardo Community to verify that you have the most current software (G9 is v2.1 as of this post)
    -Perform a Voice Command Reset on your G9
    -Put the other riders back into your Buddy List (the reset will have removed them)

I would suggest that all of you do this.

Pertaining to Conference Intercom:
    This intercom feature/option utilizes your "A" and "B" pairings and no relation to your Buddy List. They can be two additional riders, or riders who are also on your Buddy List. When paired to other riders via your "A" and "B" channels, you can can all speak at the same time in a network of up to 4 headsets when using the G9/G9x.

To activate this intercom session, you can use the voice command "Call Intercom", or manually tap the button to reach a specific rider (tap the "A" button to reach the rider paired to your "A" channel, and same for "B"). If doing it manually (by tapping a button), remember that only one of you needs to tap the button, not both. If two riders are pairing on their "A" channel, they both have full control to open and close the intercom session.

Please let us know how it goes or if you have any specific questions regarding this...

Thank you
  8. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    The latest firmware fixed a whole host of issues for me with my G9.
    I've still got a Scala Rider (2 actually) that work perfectly. Always been a good product for me.
    It's a bit quirky when communicating with someone from my g9 to someone on a packtalk, but I expected that.

I do wish the chick in the module listened a little better though. No matter what I say for my first voice command, she interprets it as "Call Intercom"
    Funny enough, yesterday I got in a fight with her "Music ON" - she says "radio on", me "radio off", her "radio off", me "music on", her "radio on" and on and on we went for the next 5 minutes until she finally turned on the music.
    I really should learn to use the buttons! :lol3

Good product, good company...quirky but show me one that isn't. This stuff isn't easy and they are little computers subject to everyone doing things a little differently.
  9. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    I am familiar with the different operation modes for the 1 + 8 and normal intercom, but we just could not get it to work, no matter what we tried. And we know how to establish an intercom call, do it all the time, but when the units get out of range, then come back in, it is difficult to resume the connection. Didn't you read my post?
  10. Cardo-scala rider

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your post.
    When using voice commands, put a clear-cut pause between the two words (if not doing so already), this should increase your success rate. We will also continue to refine "her" listening abilities.
  11. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Looks like i am in the too hard basket.
  12. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    I am I the olny one who has had nothing but problems ? I tried using it on a Smasung 4. Dont get me wrong, I know its a great product because ALL my buddies have them and they love them. Me, I bought a Cardo and could never get it paired right. I could either not hear the person talk or the person could not hear me talk depending weather or not I had the phone set on speaker or not. Then the buttons stuck down and I ended up throwing it into the desert somewhere.

What has changed to make improvements? I miss listening to the radio and talking to the wife when she worries that I am late.
  13. Cardo-scala rider

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the delay Woody2627...

Have you performed the Voice Command Reset (link to instructional video in response above) on your module and re-tested? Also, it may be worthwhile to employ the Intercom-to-Mobile feature on your G9, this will divert an intercom conversation to a mobile phone call automatically if you go out of range with a Buddy you are speaking to. This feature works during 1 + 8 intercom operation.

When this situation arises, it is common habit that both riders will then begin to tap their "A" and/or "B" buttons multiple times in order to re-establish the intercom session. Being that each unit has the ability to open and close an intercom session, once both riders begin doing this neither knows if they are sending an "open" command or a "close" command by pushing the button. Is it possible that this may be going on?

My recommendation is to tap the button (or use "Call Intercom" voice command) and wait for it to connect or time out before pressing it again. Try also to establish the person who will attempt the reconnect before the ride to avoid everyone tapping their "A" and/or "B" button if there is a loss of intercom connection.

Please let me know if you have any questions on this.
    farcall likes this.
  14. Cardo-scala rider

Oddometer:
    It sounds like it may be a little too late to troubleshoot your old one, but I can assure that all of the current models will work very well with your mobile phone. There have been quite a few physical and operational advancements made throughout the entire product line (removable speakers, interchangeable directional microphones, configuration/remote control via mobile application*, and much more) allowing you to set it up for your specific needs/requirements.

If FM radio and phone call ability are the only features desired, look into the Q1 (single). If FM radio is not needed, the Qz will suffice.

If you decide to get one, PM us here and we will make sure that it gets paired right and works well for you.

*remote control on specific models
  15. Cardo-scala rider

Oddometer:
    We are very pleased to announce PACKTALK as a winner in the 2015 webBikeWorld.com Motorcycle Product of the Year Awards!

"Besides the standard Bluetooth connectivity, the Packtalk system includes a technology new to many motorcyclists. It's called "Dynamic Meshwork Communication" (DMC)."

"...the Packtalk intercom build quality and the technology is leaps ahead of any other motorcycle communications system available today, so you won't have to plan on throwing it all away after a year or two."

To read more about this esteemed award and other 2015 Awards click here...

[​IMG]
  16. Cardo-scala rider

Oddometer:
    **PACKTALK Firmware Update v2.0 Released**
    Significantly improved performance and capabilities:
    • Number of riders who can communicate in DMC mode increased from 10 to 15.
    • In a group of 5+ riders the range has increased from 3 miles/5 km to up to 5 miles/8 km.
    • The number of group riders that can talk simultaneously has increased from 4 to 6 while all 15 group members can hear the conversation.
    • Audio improvements to the DMC network.
    New features in DMC mode:
    • DMC Bridge: Add to the group a passenger with a Bluetooth device or a caller on a mobile phone.
    • Private chat: 1 on 1 private conversation with a group member while keeping connected to the rest of the group.
    Bug fixes and other improvements

Cardo SmartSet app update coming soon...
  17. muck

muck new york

Oddometer:
    Any news on the Mac problem.tried to update my src and nothing ? Looked around and found a post that it's not working with El Capitan
    boricua700 likes this.
  18. BigBlue1200

BigBlue1200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking at new helmets does the pack talk clip mount work on the Schuberth C3 pro helmets. My dealer says the clip will not fit the Schuberth helmets.
  19. Cardo-scala rider

Oddometer:
    Compatibility between Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan and the Cardo Community is not available yet. Even though Cardo is not the root cause of this compatibility issue, we are working hard to resolve it as soon as possible. You can still use the Cardo Community with earlier versions of Mac OS X or Windows-based machines. Trust that we will continue working diligently until this is solved.

On the Schuberth C3 Pro helmet you will use the adhesive option for mounting. We have done many and it works very well. Both mounting options come with PACKTALK and produce the same, flush end-result. Please ask any questions that you may have regarding this.
  20. trinybwoy

trinybwoy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi,
    I am currently on firmware version 2.2
    can you advise what bugs or features that have been resolved /released?

I am not able to locate any version release notes.

I have noticed that since I updated to 2.2 on the packtalk,while using the mobile app(android), I have to manually stop any process before being able to use another. this is different behavior prior to 2.2

for example, if I am playing a2dp music , the FM and intercom icons in the app are grayed out.
    I have to stop playing music and then the icons become accessible.
    prior to firmware 2.2, I could easily move back and forth between music, fm and Bluetooth intercom modes.