careful what you ask for, I may have evicted myself!

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by peterman, May 20, 2021.

1. Derek939

Derek939 Available in Extra Medium

Oddometer:
    Always happy to help where i can. Plywood can be had for roughly 60 a sheet. Contact convoy building supply for a price. I may be able to fandangle a delivery down there if we can work something out with my company.
    bensgone likes this.
  2. Almost There

Almost There Up, up, and away

Oddometer:
    I wish I had been saving receipts because I may be mixing up costs. I thought I remembered the part I didn't do costing about $8,500 for the concrete which seemed like a lot at the time. Initially it was going to be over $25k because I was building on a slope.

I had to bring in 27 trucks of rock then include a retaining wall in the pour. I ended up doing all of the prep myself and then paid for the finishing work. I had it poured fairly thick in one section since I have a two post lift. The retaining wall and footer took more concrete than the whole floor so that was a big part of the cost. They ended up using a pumper truck and had to add hot water since it was winter when the shop was finally ready for a floor.

Living in the middle of nowhere didn't help either. I had trouble even getting anybody to come out and give me quotes.
    what broke now likes this.
  3. oldmonkeybut

oldmonkeybut Flatulent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hold off on the wood purchase for a little bit. I see wood prices have dropped 40% today. It's still double what it was a year ago, but at least it's trending in the right direction. I had to buy 4 sheets of 3/4 plywood last week. DAMN!! My choices were $106 per sheet for one side sanded or $86 per sheet for no sides sanded. Let's just say the finished product is a little rougher than my normal would be.
    Scott_PDX, beemerron and Derek939 like this.
  4. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Where is the 1/2 inch CDX plywood used?
    If its interior walls, there is no need for it up front, and you can wait 'till prices drop.
    That is the only place that makes any sense to me on this type of steel building.
  5. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Springfield,,,,like the Simpsons,,,orygun
    Talking dog,,
    What's on the outside of a tree?
    Bark, bark
    What's on top of a building?
    Roof, roof
    Almost There likes this.
  6. peterman

Oddometer:
    Well that's it. I signed the papers today.
  7. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    You trying to tell me you think you need 1/2 CDX plywood under metal roofing?
    It's not on Zubers roof we built in '96.
    There is insulation to keep the condensation down tho.
    4 foot roll with white plastic wrap on both sides.

Not sure what key I mis-hit for the itallic text......duffff.
  8. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    I've built a number of shops and had several sheds I've worked out of. The last one I had pretty well worked out the bugs.
    Sheeting on roof solves a lot of problems. On sides too but tyvek sealed to bottom plate and wrapped around corners does well, then metal over the top. 6 mil plastic and sheetrock inside will work.
    Last shop had 10 inch fiberglass in roof and 6 inch on walls. It had enough thermal mass to never freeze, even if left for weeks. The heater would warm it up in minutes. One winter hitting -20 I put water bottles on the floor near the doors...never froze.
    If you are putting living quarters in the shop ambient heat loss should keep the shop nice, if it is well insulated.

And boy do I have the heater for you. A propane bonfire style heater. No electricity needed. It's just a big burner in a wire cage. I think it is about 200K per hour. Used for drying sheetrock in bldgs without power. It has worked great in some drafty bldgs. It's yours if we can get a way to get it westward.
    Also have some ag discs. They make good tool feet, no stubbing toes.

If you get a crew together I can loan you a heavy nailer. Near new Bostich stick nailer. You can keep your coil nailers, thank you. Them sumbitches get heavy with overhead or extended arm stuff.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you, except I'm getting rid of things. Sold my work truck today. I'm down to one 50 yr old car and some sketchy mocycles.

Anyone need a Transalp. I got two.
    Or a 70 Bultaco El Montadero
    bensgone likes this.
  9. Beerslayer

Beerslayer Journeyman Bike Knocker

Oddometer:
    I’ve done a lot of metal roofs all kinds of ways. The white blankets get all saggy and are great mouse habitat and they don’t;;; support the roof metal when you are walking on it or installing solar panels. Best install practice is 1/2”cdx plywood with a membrane between it and the metal. Much safer and easier to install.
    Appreciate the nail gun offer and I agree stick nailers way better than coil guns except for when nailing shingles. That’s why I have two of them. Because 2 is 1 and 1 is none. Like motorcycles.
    hansi and oldmonkeybut like this.
  10. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Check out the way they use medal siding for the interior of this shop on the link in this post.
    Then think of the $6,000 plywood bill you want to use under the medal roof.
    That 6K would go a long ways for the interior walls and ceiling, just saying..
    :hide
  11. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    @Live2Ride needs another motorcycle. :deal :ricky
  12. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    Absolutely !!!

Sold both of my vintage Opels, and all parts, last night. Ducati gone. Still 4 bikes in the garage. Small tandem axle trailer still available
    Ladybug likes this.
  13. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Welcome to my tv.
    Trailer?
  14. linkweewee

linkweewee tantum quantum

Oddometer:
    I can help with the metal. If it’s a smaller version of the Outpost will be a piece of cake. I have almost zero sheet metal tools now though. Maybe two weekends for the roof that size. Get your Vulkem on again.
  15. peterman

Oddometer:
    tools and shit we can make manifest,,the hands on skills and the heart of a craftsman is what we need,,and the brother we missed that brings those skills,,very best you just come for a visit,,you are a couple years behind,,the farm goes on forever,,you are sorely missed, no shit! Just wait 'til you see it,,,,!!!
    Don't make me track you down and drag you by your ear,,YFFing fuck!:feelgood
  16. peterman

Oddometer:
    Tell that man Dire Woof,, I will have a small mud room with a potter's wheel, he can come spin pots and stuff any frikken time he wants,,fuck the rest of you FF's,,and I mean that in a nice way,,,
  17. peterman

Oddometer:
    pa mi casa,,apple jam is here disconnecting electrical stuff,,Ricklesss is here with his tractor cleaning up the back yard, and I am tossing stuff into the scrap steel bin outside. it's hot out there!
  18. sweetsixty

sweetsixty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wish I was there to make some lemonade...or the food had weed in it stuff.
    ha ha you go, Peter!!
    Apple Jam and sector like this.
  19. peterman

Oddometer:
    Final papers on Friday. Shit just got real!
  20. DLFLHT

DLFLHT I'm a little fuzzy

Oddometer: