Cargo trailer/camper build

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by pvangel, Nov 22, 2019.

1. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of converting another cargo trailer into a toyhauler/camper. I have googled it and Youtubed it and really can't find a great video on installing a toilet and shower in a trailer (or bus or boxvan). Anyone do it?
  2. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    I carry a portapot for emergency’s and used to have a outside hot water shower , I did not camp in parks . It was for rough camping only . A northern tool tankless heater with shower head outside and a water barrel and 12 volt pump in the trailer . All homemade rigging .
    pvangel and Al Tuna like this.
  3. Al Tuna

Al Tuna NSFW

Oddometer:
  4. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    Beats the hell out of squatting in the bush on a cold rainy night .
  5. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Here's what I use.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Works for me, but given your previous builds, I bet you will come up with something a little more elegant. :photog
    NJ-Bill, Scotty P, Hannda and 3 others like this.
  6. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:

Yep, getting soft in my old age. want all the creature comforts of home.
    I spent about 20 nights in my current camper and a equal amount for day rides this year and just love it..... but want more! Murica!
    W8NONU and mbabc like this.
  7. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    I have a problem, just love to build these.
    Nothing final yet.... E74DE01A-20A5-4F6F-BB3E-4AD608F6A842.jpeg

I would buy something but they all suck and are made cheap as hell!
  8. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Just mount a soft seat and funnel the waste into one of those blue tanks to dump at a station. Can pretty much do the same with your gray water . But then there is always the dry toilet that compost with a kitty litter type medium.
  9. marret

marret Transient

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at the same to carry my bike and use with my van. My problem is I want more clearance than normal and not too big. May have to order a trailer or modify with a different Dexter torsion axle.

Toilets are easy. Any type of cassette toilet will work. 5 gallons of water and black tank built in. Could also do a composting toilet.
    https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-Whi...s=thetford&qid=1574508315&s=automotive&sr=1-6

Showers. I think one could buy an RV shower and install. Might go with a shower pan and use a combination of shower curtain and vinyl walls in a front corner of the trailer. Hot water could be a "normal" RV type or portable on-demand water heater with 12v pump. I will probably elevate the shower pan slightly. I have thought about using a portable tank under the shower/trailer with the ability to drain onto the ground when possible.
    https://www.rvpartscountry.com/RvShowersSurrounds

I am also thinking about a queen bed on vertical e-track so it can be raised and lowered.
    Hannda likes this.
  10. Al Tuna

Al Tuna NSFW

Oddometer:
    The outdoor shower is the best... even when it's cold
  11. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is with the Promaster? Will the trailer be towed by the promaster? You are pretty knowledgeable, I am sure you will build a sweet cargo trailer with a full bathroom.
    pvangel likes this.
  12. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    While researching cargo trailer interiors last winter ahead of my own build I came across dozens of videos with full bathrooms. Some executed much better than others. Everything from mass-produced shower stalls, to hand-laid tile, to wash tubs with the sides cut down. Problem is, I wasn’t interested in any of that so I didn’t bookmark any of those videos. But they’re out there.

And since I’ve...we’ve...seen how many of your different builds in here the last few years?...I’d venture to guess that whatever you come up with will be significantly better than anything currently on YouTube.
    mbabc, Hannda, pvangel and 2 others like this.
  13. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    No way in hell will I buy torsion axles on purpose , they are not repairable , everything about a spring axle can be repaired and pretty darn cheap these days . A compleat axle with hubs and brakes can be replaced for less than 200 bucks but you will need to put real wheel bearings in it if you plan on useing it . The chinese crap my last 5000 miles and that’s only if they are well lubed .
    Hannda and pvangel like this.
  14. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Promaster is gone, I have been in a 16' Fun Finder toy hauler this year. I loved it and the whole camping experience, would by a class C but dont have the funds for what I want so back to a build!
    Bultaco206 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  16. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    I have seen many of the same videos but none are real clear on the toilet connection. I did see one last night that helped but still researching
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  17. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    I don't want to shit in a bucket.... looking for some refinement in my golden years....:)

Some of my previous builds and don't want to go backwards....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I Love an outdoor shower but some places frown on a 60 year old fat guy in his underware in the parking lot showering.

[​IMG]

The van was cool, but wanted more room
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I gots an idea for a new build
  18. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn’t want to shit in a bucket, either. (:lol3) But I’ve had enough of gray and black tanks to last me a lifetime. A porta-potty hides under my fridge and works in a pinch. Or will. I’ve yet to use it as this past season I had access to facilities for each of the 16 nights I spent in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bigbob1, mbabc, MYUMPH and 4 others like this.
  19. jakengle

jakengle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I built my RV from a cargo trailer and the above replies pretty much sum it up. Youtube has a huge amount of information on different ways to build a shower into a DIY RV. To me, the are all pretty complicated, expensive and potentially a huge mess if they leak. The other issue is space---if you are trying to make an RV out of a small trailer, then a shower takes up a huge amount of the available space and it isn't easy to make then multi-use. Indoor toilet is 100% essential but indoor shower is much less important. I currently just have a sun-shower, but am likely to rig up and outside shower using one of the propane instant hot water kits shown in earlier replies here.

For toilet I bought this and it was a HUGE hit with my wife--so much so that I remain surprised how easy it was to make her 100% happy with the toilet situation with literally NO work, aside from purchasing this one. Clean out is easy and less gross than you are probably expecting...

https://www.amazon.com/Porta-Potti-...ocphy=9011560&hvtargid=pla-560851798051&psc=1
    Davidprej, JustKip, MYUMPH and 3 others like this.
  20. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:

Well that toilet sure would make it easier and cheaper then what I have planned. I really don’t know anything about them but will look into it.
    I have had many outside showers and love them, just nice to get up in the morning in a warm camper and take a hot shower, I would probably do both and think the 30”x30” space it will take up is worth it for the creature conmfortit brings.

Thanks!
    Davidprej, Maggot12 and Hannda like this.