1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Carpe Iter - Navigation / Rally Roadbook / Remote controller

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Carpe Iter, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Carpe Iter

Carpe Iter By bikers for bikers

Oddometer:
    Hi Everybody,

There is a new GPS navigation / electronic rally roadbook combo with remote controller available.

The basic idea behind this project is versatility. The set will let you use one device for everything - map navigation on your travels or just exploring the countryside, but at the same being capable to work also as a rally roadbook. Especially handy for rally enthusiast, who does not feel right about spending hundreds of dollars for a dedicated rally set, which is used just couple times per year.

The remote controller is universal for Android devices, so you can use it to control even your Android phone, in case you use that for navigation.

If it sound interesting, check on my site;-) : carpe-iter.com

All the information is on the site, so I will only post a few pictures

[​IMG] DSC06089.jpg 20190503_123439 (2).jpg 20190415_173706.jpg 20190518_171556 (2).jpg 20190602_183913.jpg

Attached Files:

Hatori and AdvNener like this.
  2. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Super cool

I see you live in Prague and recommend Locus app, any plan to work closely with them (also czech dudes?) to include more motorcycling/dual sport features in their app? :D
  3. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks good
  4. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    Sure:-) But Menion (Locus developer and yes, he is based in Prague) of course wants to see some response from the riding community first, before he will invest his time into making a a clone of the app aimed specifically at motorcycle riding ;-)
  5. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    He's seen a lot of response and inquiries, for a long time, and until now he's been openly hostile to the motorcycling community.
  6. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    Well, I meant some response to Carpe Iter project. Menion did quite some work on Locus to make the CI control work with it already. But to make more significant changes to Locus, the Carpe Iter must actually take off first.

Btw., should I open a thread for ideas how to make Locus better specifically for use on bikes? The simplification of the UI is obvious, but besides that I am actually quite happy myself.
  7. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    Carpe Iter likes this.
  8. deguoren

deguoren 该出手时就出手

Oddometer:
    It sounds good but after some Chinese "outdoor" smartphones already died in my hands (death by vibration) I wonder how you do the quality control in Shenzhen and if the IP and claimed Mil spec compliance is just based on in house testing or if there might be an independent certification?
  9. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    So we finally managed to start putting some content on our FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/CarpeIter/

You will find more information on how Carpe Iter fares in the real world, views/reviews by real users, ...

It would be great, if you gave as a like and shared with your frieds. :-)
    dragos likes this.
  10. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    We did not do a laboratory test ourselves, but the first units have been riding on my test bike (single cylinder = lots of vibration) for over a year now and some users have over 15k km on the clock with no issues, e.g. a trip from CZ over Turkey, Azerbajan, Russia and back, weeks of offroad riding in Rumania, Bosnia, some rally events, ... ;-).

So I am pretty convinced about quality based on real world "testing" ;-). So far zero defects.

But of course there will likely be some defects in the future, just like with any electronic device. Not even Garmins are 100% and that is normal. And that is why you are getting a standard defect warranty from us (2 years for consumers).
    deguoren and dragos like this.
  11. deguoren

deguoren 该出手时就出手

Oddometer:
    So during (light) rain the display would still work with gloves and it would always work with the remote or a special pen (like the Samsung active Tab 2) ?
    I am currently using a Garmin Monterra with Locus and Osmand, but its old and slow...
  12. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    With the CI Control (on handlebar remote) you can even disable the touch layer completely (there is a function for that in Locus). Then no matter how heavy rain/mud/snowfall you still can operate your map ;-) Without the need to touch the screen at all.
  13. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
  14. Bento

Bento 2017 GS Rallye / 2019 KTM 690 Enduro

Oddometer:
    Which tablet and case are you using there?
  15. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    There is no case. What you see is the very tablet. And we are using CI Pad;-)
  16. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
  17. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    BenM721 likes this.
  18. Bento

Oddometer:
    I like the project but I think a lack of interest is due to the odd name and amateur website to be honest. Also:

What's the actual brand and specs of the pad? Does the manufacturer still issue firmware upgrades and does it work with Android 10? I hate to buy an expensive tablet only to find out it runs on an ancient Android version and isn't upgradable.

Seeing Maps.Me is one of the more popular ADV navigation apps, does the remote work properly with it's features?

Send a few demo units out to the more popular ADV Instagram, Youtube accounts and ADV websites for review. That would help gain valuable feedback and reviews out to the masses.
  19. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    Well you know how it is with names:-) You might like it and I might not. But hopefully that is not the most decisive selling point :-)

You are correct that the web page is rather basic. On the other hand, if you look, who is doing the project (the About tab) there is no wonder we do not have a terrific presentation right now (I did the web site myself - my first, actually). And at this stage we invest into stuff like the firmware update shown on the vid, rather than useless (from use perspective) things like a web presentation. But you are right that we should probably do something about that soon (as i found out the hard way in the past a few months, it is not the goods that sells, but only and solely the marketing).

You are the first to ask about Maps.me, actually. Popularity of the various GPS apps varies greatly depending on where you come from. None of the guys I know is actually using Maps.me. But so it happens that with the touch features of the CI Control you get at least something in Maps.me - map panning and zooming.

Our primary navigation app for offroad riding is Locus Map Pro. Although I did not really use Maps.me, I do not hesitate to make a claim that Locus Map is THE BEST app for map and offroad navigation. Period. That said, there are of course better apps, if you only want to get from point A to Point B and Maps.me might be one of them.

The tablet is built for us on order, so I think it is safe to say that we are the manufacturer. Although the system might seem dated, it actually works very well for what it is intended - on the bike navigation and phone calls, and in the camp social media, emails, youtube, ... There might be an update to Android 7 in the future, but that entirely depends on the number of users (it would be an economical suicide to compile a new ROM for a handful of users).

I understand that on the first glance it is difficult to see the difference, but CI Pad is not just another tablet. The only sort of competition is Samsung Active Tab 2, which is the only other device (at least that I am aware of) that lets you charge it on the bike via something else than a USB port. As opposed to the Active Tab, CI Pad offers twice the screen brightness and seriously boosted ruggedness. For some charging via USB might work fine, especially if you are riding on the road. But riding offroad on a bike without cockpit with cable sticking out, it is a matter of only a few rides before you destroy the USB port (happened to me and most other guys in my pack).

And with CI Control (the remote, which actually sells separately) the story is pretty simple. There is no other device you can buy (at least that I am aware of), which offers remotely same functionality. So here the choice is simple - if you want a remote on your handlebar that relieves you from surfing the display with a finger while navigating, there is no other choice :-D.

There are some ride reports by people such as Jakob Weinknecht (works for Der Reitwagen - major Austrian bike magazine) and others on our FB page: https://www.facebook.com/CarpeIter/

In a few days there should be a ride report by one guy on the TET (Trans Euro Trail), who was using it for a month straight, when logging new routes in Bulgaria and neighboring countries (TET has almost 30.000 members).

In a few weeks, there will be a review by Adventure Bike Rider, a UK motorcycle magazine. I will put it here, as soon as it comes out.

I know that the CI set is not for everybody. It is not cheap and not everybody can actually make use of a large screen. But unless you tried, it is hard to imagine, how much easier and comfortable it is to operate your map with a remote, rather then with your finger. That is why the remote is Bluetooth and not hardwired to the CI Pad (which would have been far simpler than doing wireless) - this allows to connect CI Control with just about any Android smartphone / tablet you might be using on your bike already (like the Active Tab 2 mentioned above).
    LocuL likes this.
  20. Bento

Oddometer:
    I agree with everything you just said. I just wanted to give my 2 cents on why it might not gain a lot of popularity here.

I know about Locus, but MapsMe is hugely popular in the overlanding community. Simple OSM based navigation app which works offline, is free and contains lots of POIs.

If you want to get the word out more, you could try posting info about the project in the Horizons Unlimited Motorcycle Travellers group on Facebook by the way. About 25000 members and lots of overlanders.

I like the project and have thought about creating something similar (the remote part) for a long time. So keep at it :-)