1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Carpe Iter - Navigation / Rally Roadbook / Remote controller

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Carpe Iter, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Carpe Iter

Carpe Iter By bikers for bikers

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I will try the community you suggested.

I need posts like yours to actually learn what people think. Dead silence is just confusing:-)

Implementing more commands for maps.me should not be a big problem for portrait but in landscape there is a trouble in android reaching far right side of the screen in touch (that is where e.g. map centering is on maps.me)
  2. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    A customer just came in this morning to pick his new CI Pad. He still had his old tablet on the bike. On the pictures you can clearly see, why he is switching over to CI Pad.

And we really did try to make sure that the old tablet is not put into disadvantage by being in the wrong angle. It was just not possible to find an angle, where you could see anything, but reflections on it.

That is the difference between 1000nits (CI Pad) and 450 nits (the other tablet). Taken in low morning sun (i.e. shining horizontally direct into the display
    20191004_095628.jpg 20191004_095729.jpg
  3. Bento

Bento 2017 GS Rallye / 2019 KTM 690 Enduro

Oddometer:
    Nice. Shame about landscape as most people use it like that I think. So you can't send a keypress event to specific coordinates or whatever in Android then?
  4. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    It is unfortunately not possible as touch. We could do everything you saw on the vid as mouse simulation, but it was not reliable. Mouse does not have absolute coordinates, only increments from current position.

But we are not giving up. May be we will crack that ;-).

If you search for external touchpad for android, you will find that there is no such device in existance. The devices that claim to be touchpads are actually just a flat mouse. So we are actually breaking new grounds here.
  5. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh I'm very interested in the ci control. But nearly $200 for a Bluetooth remote that only works with a few select apps? Ouch. I can build something that gets me 90% of the way there for around $50, so I have a hard time justifying more than 3 times the cost. I want my controller to also work with music at the flick of a switch.

The CI pad is over $600. It's running an ancient version of Android and what is support like? What happens if it breaks on me? How is that handled? I know with a Galaxy tab active 2, I can get support very easily locally as well as internationally. It runs a newer version of Android and I know it's supported.

For an entire CI setup, it's around $1000. For an entire setup with a Galaxy tab active 2, and mount and custom controller, I'm in for less than $600.

I have a hard time justifying the cost for the CI setup.

I do think the CI gear is nice though, don't get me wrong. It's just not priced right for my cheap, DIY, ass.

Maybe one day I'll win the lottery and fork over the cash for it, but for now, my cheap Kyocera Duraforce Pro and $5 Bluetooth controller will fulfill my needs.
  6. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    Actually I seriously doubt you can build a controller for 10% of the price:-D Even if you might be a professional in electronics and programming ;-). I suggest you read the specs again on our web. You seem to be forgetting that every supported app requires different inputs, i.e. you need to be able to change them, which requires proprietary firmware and heavy programming on the android side.

We did it, so of course if you are a pro in electronics, you probably could too (just like you could build whole gps navigation yourself, but would you?;-)). But in the end you will have spent 50% of the price on components and 200hours of your free time putting it together.

And than you still need to do the enclosure and put on your bike and make it last through rain, mud, snow,...;-).

Don't get me wrong, I am not challenging the fact that you yourself might spend a few months and arrive at a comparable solution. But your cost in hardware and time will in the end be multifold of the price for CI Control.

And hopefully you will honestly admit that your comment actually does not serve anybody, because even if you yourself can make a dyi controller, you are 1 of a 1000. ;-)

I do not hesitate to make a claim that there is no other device available around the globe that gives you remotely similar functionality as the CI Control.

Regarding Active Tab 2, yes it is a good device and now that it has been discontinued you can get it for a very good price.

The main difference from CI Pad is that CI Pad has almost twice as bright display and is faster overall, is much more rugged and there is a very solid mounting for CI Pad for the offroad.

CI Pad of course comes with standard 2 years warranty for consumers.
    dragos likes this.
  7. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    P.s. our CI Controller of course works with Active Tab, too. In fact, the sole reason we did it Bluetooth is that people can use it together with their smartphone/tablet they might be using on their bike already.

Hardwiring it to CI Pad would have been much easier;-)
  8. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    And on a more positive tone.

This is how it looks on a GS 800 Adventure

20191004_143832.jpg 20191004_143859.jpg
    ssandijss likes this.
  9. sigmund freud

sigmund freud Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When Android 9 or 10?
  10. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
  11. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    How do you program it for use with Locus?
  12. coloktmGS

coloktmGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can I order your remote and use it with a generic tablet running locus pro?

also , has anyone installed this tablet above the TFT on a KTM 790?

are your remote or tablet in stock or are they delayed right now?
  13. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Carpe Iter Do you offer discounts to ADVRider inmates?
  14. Bento

Bento 2017 GS Rallye / 2019 KTM 690 Enduro

Oddometer:
    Would this help? https://github.com/mapsme/omim
  15. rw4x4van

rw4x4van East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    Is the battery user replaceable?
  16. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    Actually we figured out something really awesome. I am not telling you now, there will be an announcement in a week or so, but I almost piss my pants every time I test the new app:-D
  17. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    In the CI Control yes, in the CI Pad no (the pad needs to be re-sealed after it is open). Opening any of them voids your warranty, so you better not be curious until you warranty expires;-)
  18. coloktmGS

Oddometer:
    Whats your shipping timeframe?
  19. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    Ci Control will be finally stocked next week. But for real offroad (not just showing off with knobbies at a fuel station) i strongly recommend to wait for the Rally Control and sacrifice the extra money (now there is even a significant discount until the rally is stocked, which at least in my view makes a no brain choice)
  20. coloktmGS

Oddometer:
    Does the rally control have additional functions or just more buttons for quick select options?