1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Carpe Iter - Navigation / Rally Roadbook / Remote controller

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Carpe Iter, Jun 7, 2019.

1. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What are your reasons for recommending the Rally over the CI Control for offroad? Can you do a comparison video of the CI Control and the Rally Control? Or at least create a table that compares features?
  2. Carpe Iter

Carpe Iter By bikers for bikers

Oddometer:
    Support for magnetic front wheel sensor, on top Bluetooth wired connection to CI Pad ensuring both data transfer and power supply for reliability (cable will come later, this requires some additional programing), and most importantly bulletproof ruggedness (CNC machined buttons housing)
  3. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    Unless you ride rally, the most important is much (much!) more rugged design (cnc machined buttons housing) that will not break when you accidentally press too hard or kick the buttons when exitting the bike.

Yes. I plan the compare and videos. I am way behind with marketing :-D. Still too much to do in development
  4. rw4x4van

rw4x4van East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    The question was for getting more longevity out of the CI pad and justifying cost, ...not to "peak under the hood".
    Most tablet batteries only last or get very weak after 2 years.....planned obsolescence?...I stopped buying high end Samsung tablets for this reason
  5. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    I understand. As said, it does not get replaced easily because of the waterproofing. On the other hand, since it is constantly connected to power on your bike, a significant problem would be only a complete battery failure
  6. Didado

Didado Long timer

Oddometer:
    I looked at your site but can't figure out how the CI Pad is charged while in the holder?
  7. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Repeating my question as it was not answered:

How do you program the controls for use with Locus, or are they pre-programmed? Also another question - can you pair the controls to a smartphone if you already have another device paired, like say a Cardo unit?
  8. chris_sav

chris_sav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not good the previous question still goes unanswered when this thread appears monitored!

Optimistic however, how long does the battery last on full brightness without a powered mount please?
  9. prs34

prs34 n00b

Oddometer:
    J utilise le CI contrôle avec une note 9 ca fonctionne très bien.
    Les touches sont reprogrammées, mais on peut facilement changer les assignation avec Locus.

J ai pas choisis le rally contrôle utilisant un trip indépendant. et voulant le joystick pour naviguer sur la carte.
    A l utilisation (3 sortie pour le moment) je trouve ça très bien sur peu zoomer dezzomer et naviguer sur la carte pour chercher des variantes à la trace tout en roulant et s en quitter les mains du guidon.

J is le même soucis avec les batterie de mes s6 s7, qui se sont abîmés surtout à cause du froid.
    Problème résolu avec un chargeur à induction constamment branché.
  10. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    Sorry for not answering sooner. With all the hassle lately I forgot about Advrider. It is charged through the spring loaded contacts (pogo pins) in the holder and included DC power source. You can see the connector on the pictures of the holder (two round things sticking out in the middle).

The current generation of the app does not allow the user to program his own profiles (it will come back eventually), but the app changes the profiles automatically depending on which supported app you open.
  11. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    If all other services are off (no GSM, Wifi and no other running background tasks, like track recording), you should get about 6 hours.
  12. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    also depending very much on which app you use. E.g. Locus is very power efficient, while e.g. Google Maps is very power hungry
  13. chris_sav

chris_sav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks,

Does not sound enough for a complete days ride on vintage bikes unfortunately.
  14. Didado

Didado Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are such things as a powerbank.
  15. chris_sav

chris_sav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The GPS might be water tight on its own but that means wires and open USB sockets and more stuff to try and hang on a bike more than eighty years old. Not an improvement on the Montana where I can simply swap the batteries at a lunch time stop.
  16. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    Why USB? The holder takes care of charging. Our holder is actually designed not to allow for usb charging (water, dust, ...).

But honestly, i don't think this set is a good choice for a vintage bike
  17. chris_sav

chris_sav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Re USB dirt ingress I know that thanks, just pointing it out to the previous poster.

Eighty year old 6 volt Joe Lucas "Prince of Darkness" electrics don't charge 12 volt holders very well.

Shame, apart from the unreplacebale battery the carpe iter appears exactly the all-in-one tool for which I've been searching for ages!.
    Carpe Iter likes this.
  18. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
  19. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thats good news for the hardcore rally riders. I don't need that hardwired setup, so I went for the BLE controller, but I still haven't been notified of a shipment. I placed an order on 23/6 and still nothing... Any idea when it will ship? Order 2723.
  20. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    Actually, both CI Control and Terrain Command go over bluetooth. The real difference is not about rally race, but mild offroading in low speed like gravel road fully loaded (CI Control) and real offroad use (blasting through gnarly stuff at speed (Terrain Command).

I believe we were in touch over email. Your order shipped today