Carpe Iter - Navigation / Rally Roadbook / Remote controller

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Carpe Iter, Jun 7, 2019.

1. John@ThorkRacing

John@ThorkRacing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To be honest I have no idea.
    I never tried any other roadbook app or even a real roadbook. My full experience in roadbook comes from using my own app.
    I fully did it listening to what users wanted, some of them very experienced and I mean REAL racers.
    And as everything in my app I’ll add whatever feature you guys want.

I like the fact that you can select what each controller button does.
    The fact that to use the controller you need to enter Controller Lock Mode which you can setup to also disable screen touch so that it won’t do screen taps with rain drops.
    The fact you can select what instruments you want.
    The paper color invert.
    And the simplicity of it all.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  2. autonhome

autonhome Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just received my remote controller ! Less than a month after placing order.
    I received just 1 bike mount, but it's ok for me, I'm just using 1 bike at time
    Just one remark : bike mount, the "rear" part is in plastic. Looks quite solid but would be better in aluminium as the other part of the mount

Time for setting the phone now !
  3. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi John. Just wondering what the software versions are on the CI Pad as it is currently shipping. I assume since the DMD2 is just beta, it ships with the original DMD. If thats true, how would you recommend configuring it for desktop exploration of the features and settings to get ready to ride this spring? Until DMD2 off-road route planning is ready I plan to use Locus for off-road and Google maps for on-road. I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.
  4. John@ThorkRacing

John@ThorkRacing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CARPE Tab includes both DMD1 and DMD2, both fully unlocked.
    You can setup your Home Launcher with any of the two.
    If you want to use Locus and Google Maps just use DMD2 as the default launcher and add those two apps in the apps shortcuts ;) That's how I use it.
  5. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just received and installed my CI controller and spent 20 minutes messing around with it. Very, very cool! Is there a cheat sheet somewhere in the interweb that lays out the quick and dirty on how the controls work in the dashboard and in the apps that are supported?
    Len3_16 likes this.
  6. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Carpe Iter pad and controllers look great. The pad uses Android 8.1 (launched in 2017) we are now on Android 11, with 12 out this year. What happens when Locus and Osmand and others pull support for older Android versions and/or force upgrades. That would be my concern about this over say a Garmin which will continue to work regardless of how obsolete their software becomes.

I love the direction this is taking but if I'm spending the best part of €1000 I'd want some reassurances that will be as functional and useful 5 years from now when Android 8 is 9 years old. That's about the average life of usual GPS units.
  7. chris_sav

chris_sav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I askeed the question on Android upgrades and the answer was "not for previous generation CI Pads (anytime soon at least)."

Curiosity question, anyone look at how the Carpe shapes up against

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIPLTEK-Brightness-Processor-construction-Brightest/dp/B08P2SG2NL/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords="TRIPLTEK"&qid=1616489833&s=computers&sr=1-2
    or
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIPLTEK-Brightness-Processor-construction-Brightest/dp/B08R871DBM/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords="TRIPLTEK"&qid=1616489867&s=computers&sr=1-3

Looks a bright screen glove friendly massive battery chunky beast.
    Andoid 8 on the cheaper one, 9 on the pro
  8. kubcat

Oddometer:
    To me the whole purpose of a ruggedized android tablet is for a durable nav tablet. In turn, to have a durable nav tablet, the applications are the most important things, not the OS version. As long as the app developers continue to support the back-level version of Android, you should never need to update your OS version, and you should be able to continue using it into the future just as you had when you bought it. Just turn off your google play store updates and only make updates that you know you want/need for the apps you consider critical to the nav tablet functionality you desire. John from Thork Racing will certainly support the new version of DMD2 on this version of Android far into the future, especially because it is the basis for the AJP OEM dash. For that reason alone I would have the faith to believe it will be around and supported for at least 10 years.
    c-m likes this.
  9. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where do we get full specs for the 'Pad' there are some not he website but it doesn't list things like the GPS refresh rate or the chipset used. Also it says 1000nits, but is that continuous or maximum just for short bursts. As a lot of phones and tablets can go extremely bright, but only for short periods.

Is there secure charging if by USB, i.e strain relief or even screws to hold the cable in and stop it vibrating/causing damage to the slot?

What USB cable does it take micro or USB-C?
    Dual sim/single sim eSim compatible?

A complete list of specs would be nice before purchasing.
  10. kubcat

Oddometer:
    John @ THork Racing has told us the OEM is Soten. You should be able to find the specs easily enough. I won't post a link, as they are trying to make a living as a value added reseller of the OEM tablet. BTW, you should also add this thread to your watch list;
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/drive-mode-dashboard-for-android.1425433

It comes with the holder, which has contact points that will constantly charge the tablet while in the holder. The wiring from the holder to the harness is not under stress, as the holder is firmly attached, so no strain relief is required. You are limited only by your imagination as to how and where you connect the charger to your harness.
    701LRpilot and c-m like this.
  11. Len3_16

Len3_16 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey there, not sure if you found the info you needed yet. I had similar day one questions. See my post here, with further links to manuals/guides:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=14159&share_type=t&link_source=app
  12. simonrauter

simonrauter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi! For a few days now I'm a proud owner of CI TABLET and CONTROLLER. Didn't have the time to set everything up but I did mount it on my bike and start it up to check if its working and I have two quick questions... Any help appreciated!

1. Can tablet Android software be upgraded to latest version? Mine came with Android 9. Is there any reason not to upgrade like hardware/software issues?

2. Can I make the tablet to come on on its own when it starts charging like Garmin Zumo does.

2021-03-24-20-07-15.jpg
    choutos likes this.
  13. kubcat

Oddometer:
    What features of the updated OS do you think you need that 9.0 doesn't provide? That would be the only reason to upgrade. Otherwise I would suggest you keep the version on it as it will be more stable and give you one less variable to worry about when diagnosing bugs in DMD2.
  14. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    You cannot arbitrarily just update the OS unless the manufacturer has released an update for it. To me, this is the biggest flaw with Android as a whole.

On a side note, my friend got his CI Pad in last night, and we got it mounted up....it's definitely a very quick and bright tablet. I may have to cave and replace my Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 2 soon.
  15. Len3_16

Len3_16 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It would be interesting to hear about outdoors brightness comparison with Tab Active 2 (or 3)... The cheapish but otherwise adequately powered Lenovo M8 FHD that I have is nowhere near bright enough when in the sun (I fully expected that). Having a device that is lighter and useful indoors might point people to Active 3. (My exchange rate to euro is painful as well so looking at that price vs CI pad.)
  16. kubcat

Oddometer:
    FIFY - I don't know if there is any source for the Sotem tablet for upgrades, but you would also have to be sure that you knew exactly what the i/o chipset options were and make sure those drivers. etc. were included.
  17. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    The issue comes from the bootloader. If the bootloader is unlocked, getting a custom recovery on it should be easy, assuming someone has built the custom recovery. ;)

Otherwise, yes, if the driver blobs are included in a build, such as LineageOS, then updating to the newer Android versions becomes much more obtainable. I haven't done any ROM dev in about 6-7 years though and for the last 5 or so I have completely abstained from any dealings with that community. I used to care about the latest versions of Android, then I just went to Nexus and Pixel devices and don't care any more. As for my GPS device, as long as it's 9 or better it should be good for the next 2-3 years or so.
  18. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why doesn't Carpe Iter just come out and release the full specs of this tablet. I find myself with yet another question, this time on the minimum brightness. From my boating days I remember looking at different tabs and displays, and those with high brightness struggled to be turned down low enough for good night use.

I remember seeing a Chinese one with 1000nit brightness butt hen couldn't be turned down lower than 300 nits, which is about the maximum brightness of an average computer monitor.
    jaumev likes this.
  19. simonrauter

simonrauter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, everyone for the answers... I guess I will just keep it as it is hehe
  20. kelvyn

kelvyn KTM AdventureR

Oddometer:
    Ci controller users. does your
    Controller click evenly in all directions?

mine is the same up down left but right requires noticeably more effort ?
    and doesn’t have the same click feel to it.