Carrol County, Maryland Backroads Explorer route

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by MX2ADV, Apr 29, 2019.

1. MX2ADV

MX2ADV MX2ADV

Oddometer:
    My honey and I rode an overnight trip in and around Carroll County, Maryland and I wanted to share the route I pre-planned. We ended up running about 90% of this route. I have lived within 90 minutes of Carrol County most of my life and did not realize how many scenic backroads are in the county. Well worth your time. This route can be completed on any bike; nothing technical here.

This route is 163 miles and 90 - 95% tarmac but I've thrown in all the unpaved roads I could find. It begins and ends on/near I-70 west of Baltimore. Enjoy. Feel free to modify and share.

20190427_152346.jpg 20190428_094107.jpg 20190428_100315.jpg 20190428_094125.jpg
    Kurviger.JPG

Attached Files:

smack doogle and zaxrex like this.
  2. zaxrex

zaxrex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the share! These are roads I frequently ride. Minimal traffic most of the time.
  3. Dirt Roads

Dirt Roads Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the track! I've been planning on a ride (from NYS) to the Sykesville area to visit my son. This will give me reason to stay another day.
  4. zaxrex

zaxrex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Dirt Roads -- another area you might consider riding is the Catoctin Mountain Park/Gambrill State park area.

Several nice service roads up there that run parallel to mountain springs. Worth a ride if the weather is nice!

[​IMG]
  5. Dirt Roads

Dirt Roads Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear. Thanks for that
  6. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love Sams Creek road. Been on it many times. One of the few decent dirt roads in that area.
  7. MX2ADV

MX2ADV MX2ADV

Oddometer:
    I loved my time in Carroll County and plan on returning in the fall. I love the landscape!
  8. MX2ADV

MX2ADV MX2ADV

Oddometer:
    I hope you enjoy as much as I did.
  9. MX2ADV

MX2ADV MX2ADV

Oddometer:
    Sam's Creek Rd was definitely one of the highlights on the trip. The track has a few other unpaved roads that are worth checking out as well.
  10. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out the Catoctin Mountain Park above Frederick. There are a few decent dirt roads in the park. One of them has a water crossing.

It's been a while since I rode through there, but I think you pick up Catoctin Hollow Road where it intersects with Rt 15 and head into the park.
  11. MX2ADV

MX2ADV MX2ADV

Oddometer:
    Yep, I've ridden those roads a few times over the years. Good stuff. My understanding is that the creek crossing at Delauter Rd (which I think is the one you're referring to) is now closed but I have not been there in a while to verify that.
  12. Dirt Roads

Dirt Roads Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OMG!!! What a FANTASTIC route. Today I rode all but the last 15 miles (south of Liberty Road/MD26) as I had a family commitment to get to. I always thought rural MD was pretty, but I had no idea just how gorgeous it can be. The roads were an absolute blast!!! Tight, twisty single lane in excellent shape. I'm always the one to go slow to see all the scenery, but there was NO WAY I could hold it down to the speed limits. (I am NOT advocating speeding!) Did I mention that the roads were an absolute blast!?!!!! I can't wait to come back and do it all over again, which I will certainly do. This route is a real gem. Thank you so much for putting it together and sharing it.
    The pic is where I had breakfast in Mt. Airy before starting the route. It gets my recommendation.
    20191004_092126.jpg
  13. MX2ADV

MX2ADV MX2ADV

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed it! I might run it again this fall. Thanks for the restaurant tip.
  14. zaxrex

zaxrex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where'd you end up riding?
  15. MX2ADV

MX2ADV MX2ADV

Oddometer:
    Haven't had time yet. I'm thinking about re-riding this Carroll County route in late October.
  16. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you ever find yourself in the Berkeley Springs area of WV, checkout Rt. 9 heading into Paw Paw, WV. It's a very scenic road.

If you are into twisties, there is an incredible road just off Rt. 9 that will get your blood racing: Take Rt. 9 south out of Berkeley Springs, WV. Just south of Great Cacapon, make a right turn on Detour Road (Rt. 18). The road eventually becomes Magnolia Road and winds you back onto Rt. 9. It's a secluded back road that only locals travel. Lots of twisty turns with elevation changes!

Another fun experience is to take Whites Ferry across the Potomac River near Leesburg, VA. It's a flat deck boat that crosses a small stretch of the upper Potomac. It's probably a 5 minute boat ride.