Carry spare tube or extra tubliss tubes

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by kubcat, Jul 31, 2020.

1. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, I'm about to tackle the NEBDR in a few weeks. I will be on my KTM 790 (tubeLESS) and my son is going to ride my Adventurized 350 EXC with the tubLISS system. We are also riding with others on a DR650 (tubes) and a Yammy STen (tubeless). I usually carry plugs and compressor.

Should we pack extra tubliss tubes (need both sizes), or just the generic 21"HD tube, since the 21" tube can fix any of the tires on any bike in a pinch? Thanks for you feedback.
  2. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm usually in the "lowest common denominator" camp. A tube and a tire repair kit with both plugs and patches will solve most problems that you're likely to run into.
    Cigar Mike likes this.
  3. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a 21” tube.
    Cigar Mike likes this.
  4. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I had a flat in the Tubliss high pressure tube in one of the most remote places in Baja. I did manage to make it out using a front 21" tube in my rear 18" wheel. I butchered the Tubliss setup to come up with a bead lock. For the future and if space allows, I'm going to carry each of the high pressure tubes for the Tubliss setup. Due to the remote location and a time crunch, I didn't attempt to patch the high pressure tube. I'd be curious if anyone has had any luck patching a high pressure Tubliss tube.
  5. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, it makes sense to just carry a spare 21" tube, but what about beadlocks? Just ride easy and try not to spin the tube/tire, or toss in one? Can you use the wider 18" beadlock on a narrower 21" wheel? Can you use the narrower 21" beadlock on the rear 18" wheel?
  6. Mountainman13

Mountainman13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Use tire patches for road bicycle tires. They're designed to be run at the kinds of pressures the tubliss system is running at and shouldn't have any problems.

I used one of these: https://www.rei.com/product/742967/slime-skabs-pre-glued-patch-kit on my tube during the AZBDR and it held until I swapped the tires after I returned.