Carrying a pistol across state lines

Discussion in 'Americas' started by thesurvivalist, Jun 25, 2014.

1. thesurvivalist

thesurvivalist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on travelling from Colorado, through Utah, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada. I currently dont have a CCP but im working on it as it stands right now whats the deal with these states on open carry?
  2. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Max BMW sells a booklet that summarizes all state laws on the topic
  3. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are free, online charts that summarize the complicated variety of laws on concealed carry. Also several that sell booklets about the subject.
  4. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    although nothing will really replace your state's official reciprocity agreement docs... www.usacarry.com has an excellent map that will show you which states they list as having reciprocity agreements in place.
    jemmons likes this.
  5. SICVIC

SICVIC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm doing about the same thing.
    I've done so much research and you are going into some of the worst states.

CA. Forgedda about it!
    OR. All depends on the County (no joke) They say to call the Sheriff in the counties you'll be traveling to find out their requirements. They forwarded me to dispatch who forwarded me to another State number who did not return my calls. So????
    WA. Covered under UT CCP
    CO. Don't go into Denver and but the state has open carry aside from that.
    UT.CCP covers 35 states. Mostly Easterly and not on your list.
    NV. Think Clark County has some strict rules.

I bought a soft locking case and am keeping the gun in it, ammo out of mag and all seperated as much as I can for riding a moto.

Here is the crazy issue with that. In speaking with all these agencies; even if the case is locked it has to be attached to the bike or it is still can be deemed a conceled weapon.
    My bike (enduro) has no storage so the case would be in my backpack (locked). The wording of the law does not allow that.

I've called and called and really the laws change from county to county and most likely person to person.
    My game is this. CCP for everywhere I could. Locking case for the uncertain areas. Be smart about it and disclose that I'm carrying if confronted. Beg for forgiveness later. (or be jailed/shot)

I sat through clases, called many of the states you listed and in the end there is no set answer.
    I hate carrying the case but I figured it to be my best argument if needed.
    The sites others have listed are also great resources but when you start calling around the interpretation gets severly twisted

Hope this helps.
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm remembering the guy in the news a couple years ago that got a speeding ticket & had a pistol locked in either the console or glove box, I forget which. His situation became costly & difficult, to say the least. Not to be taken lightly by thinking that simply "telling the officer" will suffice. Perhaps sometimes but in others it's go to jail & hire a lawyer.
  7. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its amazing how paranoid and scared some people are.
  8. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not worth it, leave it at home. I carried on one multi state trip, where do I leave it on the bike, (the bike gets stolen, gun also) leave it in the hotel room, gun gets stolen and now in the hands of a criminal. I'll never ride with a gun too much to BS. If you are that paranoid stay home
  9. Thebes

Thebes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might have some unlicensed options. Check all state and local laws, its you that gets to pay a lawyer and do the time if you eff up.
    In New Mexico and some other western states you can often carry a loaded firearm with you in or on your vehicle. In NM this even applies to a bicycle, other states may vary, check.

IIRC one used to even be able to take a firearm through Cali if it was not loaded, and load it for the night in one's lodging including within a camp. CHECK, I could be wrong and laws can certainly change. Check if your particular weapon is allowed within each state too. Have good hard locking cases for gun and ammo where required for transport.

My point is that if you don't need to carry it about in public, you might have some other options while still sleeping with your piece and even riding with it ready, in many states.
  10. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Open carry in:
    Multnomah County (Portland): No, you need an Oregon license
    Maybe Beaverton, Tigard and Ashland: Also probably no
    All other counties: No fucks given

Tell me about it. They see someone minding his own business on a motorcycle, but because he happens to be carrying a gun they have to lose their minds and call the cops and write to their congressman over nothing. Insane.
  11. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Open carry is legal in Ashland (So. Oregon). If you're worried about it in Oregon, just unload it, or open carry where legal, which is almost everywhere (carried openly in a belt holster, per ORS 166.250 is not concealed).

Here is a link to the state law in Oregon (not county)
    https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/lawsstatutes/2013ors166.html

Check out ORS 166.250. Motorcycles, readily accessible, is listed toward the bottom of that statute. If you're worried, carry it in a bag, with a trigger lock.
  12. R80gs/pd

R80gs/pd Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. thesurvivalist

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info people, it really is a disgrace how the liberals pick and choose from our constitution as they feel.
  14. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you own a handgun and want to carry it why on earth haven't you gotten a concealed carry permit?
  15. Tripl Nikl

Tripl Nikl Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're asking for hassles. Just pack it unloaded in a case and call it a day.

Since your screen name is TheSurvivalist, I'm guessing you won't take this advice that's even better: Don't travel with a pistol. I've been all over North America with nothing more dangerous than a machete available--and I used that for camp prep and tinder making, never anything else. The pistol is going to be more hassle than it's worth if you don't have a CCW because OCing all over the place is just not worth it.
  16. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion, so here's mine. Open carry in Oregon, most places, doesn't impact you at all. I've OC just about everywhere and do when I ride my bike. No one ever bats an eye. Different perspectives and cultures everywhere, I know. In Oregon, it's not uncommon to see people OC.
  17. wjfawb0

wjfawb0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I generally don't go where it's not legal to conceal. I don't bother with open carry unless I'm hiking in the woods. It's interesting to see different perspectives on the subject. I use to be afraid to carry. Got my permit and never carried with one in the chamber. Then after several classes I adopted the policy that an unloaded gun is useless. When I carry, I carry everywhere. I carry all the time too. It becomes a normal habit that requires care and responsibility.
  18. thesurvivalist

Oddometer:
    Because I do not always wish to conceal it why should I? So not to cause alarm to sensitive people?

Tripl Nikl, a bladed weapon will be my secondary method of defense, I don't like the idea of defending myself against multiple assailants with a kukri or a tomahawk.

Wjfawb0 I completely agree with you. I'm originally from England where the state and the media have brainwashed the public against the possession of firearms. When I immigrated to the states as soon as I legally could, I purchased firearms to protect myself and my family.

I am not looking for trouble by open carrying my weapon. I don't see why I should be ashamed of my rights as an American citizen and ill be damned if I don't exercise my rights. I take responsibility for myself and safeguarding those around me shall I find myself in a bad situation.

This post isn't to provoke a pro vs anti gun debate, I'm just trying to extract information on what's legal and what's not.
  19. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    You should just take the time to research the laws in each state you intend to enter. They vary considerably, and there's no point arguing politics. The laws are what they are whether you like them or not.

For example, I live in Vermont, where I can carry concealed without a permit. The state doesn't even issue permits because they're not necessary. But if I want to ride out of state with my pistol, I have only one direction I can go: east. And east doesn't take me very far before I run into a lot of water.

To get anywhere else within the US, I have to travel through New York, and New York explicitly forbids anyone from transporting a handgun through the state even if it's disassembled and locked in a case in the trunk of your car. This is in contravention of federal law, but NY officials don't care -- they'll happily throw you in jail if they catch you, no matter how much you protest that it's your constitutional right, and they'll keep you there for years until your appeal eventually makes it out of NY courts (if you're lucky). This is one of many reasons the NY state government sucks.

Point is, no matter how much you want to stand on principle and exercise your constitutional right (which I agree you should be able to), we've reached a point in this country in which our rights are being ignored (the conservatives are just as guilty of this as the liberals, just in different ways). From a practical perspective, you need to decide how far you want to go in exercising those rights and risking legal troubles in certain states. It's sad it's come to this, but it's the reality of the world we live in today.

By the way: you can avoid most of these issues by bringing a shotgun instead of a handgun.

--mark
  20. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have two lines of 'defense' ready? If you're that paranoid about your safety you probably shouldn't be riding a moto.