Carrying a pistol across state lines

Discussion in 'Americas' started by thesurvivalist, Jun 25, 2014.

1. thesurvivalist

thesurvivalist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    markbvt Point taken.

No mate, not paranoid, i'm taking responsibility for my own safety instead of calling the cops after the event only to turn up an hour later and file a crime report. I don't imagine that i'm going to wander into the sunshine state and be greeted by big breasted blonde women smelling of Hawaiian Tropic.
  2. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:

In many places in the West you cannot call 911 from a cell... it is like carrying tire repair stuff in case of a flat tire... hope you do not need it but sure nice to have the tool if needed
  3. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    or carrying a sheep shears in case you find yourself in the middle of a huge herd of sheep (it can happen)
    or carrying an air nailer in case you find yourself in a hotel that has some boards that need nailed down (who knows, it is a crazy world!)
    or maybe packing 100 gallons of water on your bike in case the end of the world occurs and you need a fresh water supply while you fight off mutant zombies (you never know!)
    or wearing a hazmat suit everywhere you go in case of radioactive fallout (don't forget the Geiger counter!)
    or packing a ninja sword in case you find yourself in the middle of a ninja fight in a peach field while you are playing a song with your band. (millions of peaches)

There are many many things that can happen but the chances of needing it every time you go out are pretty slim. I own a lot of guns and I have been many places but never felt the need to pack one with me.

As for knowing details on carrying a pistol across state line, I would call the stae police in the states you plan to visit and ask them.
  4. MountainDOG

MountainDOG Gettin there.

Oddometer:
    Jeremiah Johnson,the lyrics in your sig...
    Good stuff,broseph.
  5. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. MountainDOG

MountainDOG Gettin there.

Oddometer:
    An outlaws gun is ready now,
    If he wants something that belongs to you,he'll try ya somewhere without witnesses.
    Careful at desolate rest areas...
    Dark motel parking lots..etc.
    By the time you pull your pistol and load it,
    A fast one will have what he's after before your ready,
    If your settled in a motel room for the night or out in the sticks campin over...
    Don't worry about the "law"
    Have your pistol loaded and ready to go.
    Or a nice large can of bear spray...not pepper spray,the bear spray will rob the assailant of there sight from 20 feet away...giving you plenty of time to give em' a beating/tie em'up and call the Poe..
    Have the spray in between your bikes luggage somewhere so you can slid it out and be ready if someone starts walkin your way and your gut starts talkin..
    They'll never suspect or know what hit em'....
    You have a right to defend your property and your LIFE.
  7. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was just stating my opinion like you, no need to be so sensitive about it.
  8. FriedDuck

FriedDuck Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer:
    I'm curious, why not just pack it in a bag on the bike and say nothing? I (naively?) have carried one in a car across state lines and never told anyone nor was hassled.

I can see if you were in a wreck that there's the possibility you're caught, but honestly the chances of someone finding it among your luggage seems remote. I've never had a car searched, except for at a border crossing.

I've never had trouble on the road, but some of my family were robbed once (South Georgia--the sheriffs smoked the guy out of the woods and caught him :lol3) and we did run up across some scary signs in the backwoods of Alabama that looked like a grow operation. We got the hell out of there FAST.

Jeff
  9. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Darn shame we have 50 States with 50 different sets of laws (to comply with.) I think this was purposeful. :puke1
  10. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Wow, this isn't in JoMomma or CSM yet :D

I am very happy we have 50 states with different laws for each. I would hate to live in Oregon and live with NY's laws.
  11. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just to kick in to the weirdness ,, Your CCW permit (In oregon) is not valid on any federal land (most of the state is federal) because the Oregon supreme court ruled that the state does not have the right to regulate firearms on federal landÂ… Which also by application includes the interstate highways, its a freaking mess..
  12. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Can you cite some references? There isn't a prohibition of firearms on federal land in Oregon that I'm aware of, except certain federal facilities.

Federal law changed in February 2010 regarding National Parks. Is that what you're referring to, and the law changed to allow it in most of the US.
    http://www.nps.gov/gate/parkmgmt/firearms-in-national-parks.htm

If you can legally carry in the state the BLM land is in you can carry on the BLM land. If it is not legal the area will be posted as no firearms allowed. Any building on the BLM land operated by the federal government is considered federal property and carry in those buildings is not allowed.
    http://www.google.com/url?url=http:...QQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHW0NRbYkA2TJdlyI66Qb8xaIjcYg

First, the primary laws governing possession of firearms and other weapons on National Forest are State Laws. ​
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5066182.pdf

So, you can either open carry in Oregon, or if you have a CCW you can carry concealed.
  13. ZEmann

ZEmann want to be riding

Oddometer:
    but the federal land like National forest say you can carry if you have
    a state permit so By saying you can't Oregon has just regulated firearm use on Federal land

exactly what you just stated they couldn't do ?? :eek1
  14. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    it all good...
  15. TwoCamSam

TwoCamSam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Open carry is ok in Washington, as long as you are not wearing a ski mask and walking into a bank or displaying it in a threatening manner. Washington does not recognize Colorado concealed pistol licenses though or CCW or whatever they call it there. Colorado does not meet our requirements as they do not have a mandatory mental health background check. Hope this helps.
  16. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can solve this issue. Just leave the gun at home. If you feel like you may need a gun where you're going, maybe going there isn't such a good idea.
    If you really want to carry a gun that badly, join the military or go into law enforcement.
  17. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    I don't understand why people get hung up on other people doing things that don't impact them. If the guy wanted to speak freely, maybe have a motorcycle travel blog, would people tell him to keep him opinions to himself and in his own state?

The guy wants to do something, legal, that doesn't impact others. Why suggest he do anything other than that?
  18. ZEmann

ZEmann want to be riding

Oddometer:

you put a lot of thought in to that ?

if that works for you great ! I don't really care what you choose

I am not ignorant and won't believe the suggestion that the need to defend yourself only happens in the 'bad part of town" or "somewhere you can selectively avoid"
  19. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Ive done 56 years so far,traveled all over the place,camped in the damndest spots,live without fear in my own house and yet I have never once had an armed shootout situation occur,or even the hint of one.

Yet others cant go anywhere without their piece. It seems like a burden to have to worry about such things.
  20. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1. If confronted with a deadly force situation, how are you going to get your gun out, load it, then use it?