Carrying a pistol across state lines

Discussion in 'Americas' started by thesurvivalist, Jun 25, 2014.

1. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, I didn't need to put much thought into it. It doesn't require much thought. I really don't give a shit what the guy does. I suspect though, that whenever he finds himself in a bind the other guy will already have his gun out and therefore will have the advantage.
  2. ZEmann

ZEmann want to be riding

Oddometer:
    the other guy may indeed already have his gun out first

having your gun out first isn't always a good thing
    it usually makes you the aggressor in the witnesses /jury's eyes

but finding yourself in a situation say a movie theater/park/grocery store/restaurant/ Vann's Pro shop 1990 or anywhere an individual may/has use a weapon /in the commission of a crime
    is exactly why I CW carry
    and if I never need it so be it no harm no foul
  3. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am waiting for the, "I need to carry exposed guy to meet and scare the "stand your ground" guy.
  4. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Scared is the key word. Insecure is the next. I am powerless so I need my gun close always. Cant travel without it.
  5. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    The Wild,Wild West is alive and kicking in your town?
  6. FongMan

FongMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You ain't to bright are ya??
  7. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bright enough to know you could get a better answer on a gun orientated web site than a motorcycle web site.
    http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws.aspx

I don't feel a need to ask questions about my motorcycle on some gun sites I visit.

I am smart enough to know the less people know about my carrying habits is probably better for me if I ever theoretically had to use one.
  8. Solego

Solego n00b

Oddometer:
    You could become the p0lice like me and disregard those pesky state laws denying the rights of citizens to arm themselves.
  9. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    The police seem to enjoy disregarding a lot of laws.
  10. Solego

Solego n00b

Oddometer:
    I disregard those pesky state laws regarding concealed carry because federal law gives me nationwide carry.

There are over 500,000+ law enforcement officers in our nation.

It is intellectually dishonest to suggest you have knowledge about the character of all 500,000+ law enforcement officers in order to make such a truth claim.
  11. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Why hasn't this thread gone to CSM? :D

If there are 1/2 million people that can carry pretty much anywhere, why can't the rest of us? Seems officers are no different than the average Joe, or are they? Do they have rights (per the Constitution, 2A) the rest of the population doesn't?
  12. Solego

Solego n00b

Oddometer:
    We are no different than anybody else. We get to exercise our 2A rights as all people should be able to.

Do keep in mind, I don't make the laws. If you're upset that I enjoy certain benefits the rest of the population doesn't, remember that those benefits are bestowed upon me by state and federal legislators who are not law enforcement.
  13. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    I'm not upset you get benefits or to exercise your rights. I'm upset everyone else doesn't.
  14. thesurvivalist

thesurvivalist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in the military and currently I am in Afghanistan.
  15. thesurvivalist

thesurvivalist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also btw, I used to be in law enforcement in the UK, and I saw on a daily basis what happens to good people when they are disarmed. LE are there to show up after the crime has taken place and not to prevent it. We are all safety officers as the Army likes to say.
  16. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was just about to ask why you wanted to carry while on your trip (I'm honestly curious, not trying to start an argument) when I read this post. We all have backgrounds that affect our personal decisions. The only time I've been armed was when I was working, by myself, waaaaay out around the Great Salt Lake. Really remote area known for the occasional very strange person popping up. When I moved back to California I discovered I was more worried about the gun being stolen and used in a crime than me needing it for protection.
    I travel a lot solo, I can't think of any situations I've been in that wouldn't have been made worse by having a visible weapon. Then again, as a woman, I'm pretty careful and practiced at picking where I go and the situations where I interact with strangers (yeah, I know that doesn't always work).

Anyways, California, no go on the open carry or concealed. There are laws about how a weapon is carried in a vehicle, but you'll have to look them up.
  17. Advntr

Advntr Answering the call of the wild

Oddometer:
    Western NY or out riding & passing you somewhere
    It's the way you write that gives the perception that since you think you don't need a firearm I don't get to make my own personal choice, you are making it for me. IMO those that are against allowing me my own choice of defending myself against adversity are fearful souls and should seek professional help [and stay on the porch] Wait till adversity knocks on your door and you are not properly prepared. I have been accosted by low life scum while minding my own business - riding by myself with nobody else. Having made the right choices has made the outcome a positive one for me.

Federal law allows for the legal transportation of a firearm from one legal place to another. Conduct your self like one should anyways and life will be fine. Along with packing a firearm - Bear spray is a great "choice"....ohhh there that word again...and much less paperwork when having to face adversity.
  18. beach2008

beach2008 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From a civilized country's perspective (good old Europe): this thread/discussion is ridiculous. In the 21st century, some countries are civilized, have no guns and low crime rates. They just ride MC and smile at this nonsense. Think about it
  19. TWA800

TWA800 n00b

Oddometer:
    In my tail gunner on my GS takes a search warrant and key to get to it. Be responsible consider it a line of last defense. Note do not stand your ground depart and if followed remember your an adventure rider. :D
  20. veesquared

veesquared Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a current ccw in Tn and had one in Massachusetts. Lets say you did have to defend yourself. Are you willing to face a huge Civil suit where it is going to cost you tens of thousands in lawyers fees even if your not guilty? This is the current reality . When the moment of truth comes are you willing to use deadly force ? I like the bear spray idea myself . You can entertain yourself while your packing your bike by kicking in some ribs . Just be sure your gone when your assailant can see again. Or give him another dose. With the rise of Meth comes some deperate people. No dead and a story you can tell. YMMV