Carrying a pistol across state lines

Discussion in 'Americas' started by thesurvivalist, Jun 25, 2014.

1. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine someone thinking, "Damn, I can let this m-f'er kill me or pay a bunch of legal fees," with any true concern which is the right decision. If it's a case where deadly force is justified there shouldn't be a consideration for your legal defense. If it is a deadly force situation, there is only one choice, you or him/her.
  2. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:

:rofl
    travlr_45 and scarysharkface like this.
  3. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
  4. bogus

bogus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really,you guys need to pack a pistol . How many of you scared paranoid girls have ever even been in harms way much less taken a life? Getta grip !!
  5. ZEmann

ZEmann want to be riding

Oddometer:
    i have a grip

[​IMG]

I take it you do not ? :lol3
  6. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Do you have anything to declare?"
    [​IMG]
    "Yeah, don't go to New Jersey!"

Fitting username is fitting.
  7. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    It all depends on why your carrying it.
    If I could legally carry it would be a .22 revolver like a Ruger Single Six for small critters around camp.

I am allowed to transport a rifle here, so depending on where I am going camping I often take my Ruger 10/22 Takedown.

I've never felt the need for a firearm for defense but there are other reasons and some people dont own a vehicle

Sent from my XT320 using Tapatalk 2
  8. FongMan

FongMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Twice, in harms way, asshole.

See, bogus is one of the self righteous twatwaffle's that shoves his .02 down others throats, well coming from NY, its all BS.
  9. bogus

bogus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well fongman i guess you ain't that narly. Better hang onto ur gun jack.:rofl
  10. FongMan

FongMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stay classy.
  11. ZEmann

ZEmann want to be riding

Oddometer:
    you have mad word skills for name calling and hiding behind a keyboard
    so you are safe no need to carry
    [​IMG]
    travlr_45 likes this.
  12. rickr84

rickr84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Part of the reason why you have been able to do this safely is because the perception that some solo travelers will be armed scares off any possible attacks. A crooked person doesnt know if someone sleeping in a tent is armed or not, thus they usually dont risk it.

Gun ownership works similar to herd immunity with a virus. Not everyone needs to have a gun. Once enough people have one, even the helpless are safer because attackers dont know who has one and who doesnt.
    MrVvrroomm likes this.
  13. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Its mostly in people's minds. Some spend a whole life being worried and scared about being attacked from all angles everyday. Others go through life enjoying life knowing not every situation can be accounted for.

Once a gun comes into play,ANYTHING can happen. They arent an automatic fix. Ive done 62 years and have traveled all over the place with not one single issue of attackers coming after me,never even considered needing a gun and never needed one. I have been invited in to stay for free and been fed and met all kinds of fun people on solo motorcycle trips. Its not really a war zone.
    scarysharkface likes this.
  14. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    And a court will believe you for sure. Because nobody ever makes stories up about killing people. Letting one's life center around who shoots who and why it's justified.................invites bad things into one's life.
    tlub likes this.
  15. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn’t even consider leaving home without one. Times have changed from the date this thread was started. I do have my ccw, I also have carry ins. Im trained, and practice regularly at an outdoor range. In a life or death situation I wouldn’t hesitate to use it. I wouldn’t volunteer info about it to anyone. You get stopped, be a nice, curtious guy, sign the ticket and be on your way. In all my years and miles of riding iv never been searched beyond my drivers license, registration, and proof of ins.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  16. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    OK, here is the deal. This is a thread in Trip Planning where someone asked about carrying a gun through different states. It is not a thread about shooting people, why or why not someone wants to carry a gun, or any of that other stuff. You want to debate those things you can do so in the CSM sub-forum.

So, back to the topic at hand.

A quick search reveals there are a number of guides available that discuss the gun laws in each state. There are also some online resources that deal with reciprocity and the like.

We're not going to tolerate a bunch of off-topic BS in this revived thread so bear that in mind before you hit "Post Reply" - especially to some comment made years ago.

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful on-topic posts.

Cannon, Moderator
  17. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aside from the written legal resources this is a live topic due to state/local laws that change often. Like said above, a few websites cover it some and depending on ones travels it's not easy to make a long, multi-state trip w/o concerns. There are myriad historical cases of people who had only personal safety in mind but were stopped, searched and had horrible legal situations arise. Sure, it's not likely, but it does happen.
    klaviator likes this.
  18. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's pretty easy to find out if another state has reciprocity with your state but keeping up with where you can and can't legally carry in each state gets complicated. If you get stopped for some reason some states require that you inform the LEO that you are carrying, some don't.

Lets say you plan on visiting some National Parks. If you can legally carry in that state then you can carry in the park but not in the visitor center. So you want to go into the visitor center. What do you do with your weapon? You better have someplace safe to leave it on your bike.

You come to a place with a No Weapons Allowed sign? Same thing as the Visitors center except in some states you may be able to ignore that sign, some you can't legally do that.

Most, it not all states prohibit carrying and drinking. What about going into a place that serves alcohol but you won't be drinking? Those laws vary from state to state.

There are guides to help with all the above concerns but laws change so you have to have an up to date guide or you may get into trouble.

I understand the desire to carry on a multi state trip but it's real complicated to do it legally.

Bottom line, if you want to carry on a multi state ride you better do a lot of research before you go.
    kantuckid and Barnaby'sDad like this.
  20. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly...if you REALLY dive into the legal issues and think about where you can and can’t carry...you may start to wonder whether or not it’s even worth it in some areas.

Ex. Ammunition restrictions (I’ve read about permit holders getting jacked-up in NJ over HP ammunition), magazine capacity restrictions, etc. Traveling on the east coast...it’s pretty difficult to travel across state lines without hitting an issue. MD, DC, NJ, CT, etc. Couple to that limited reciprocity (in the case of Virginia, at least).

I would be curious to know how many people with concealed handgun permits unknowingly commit one or more state crimes during an interstate trip.