Carrying a pistol across state lines

Discussion in 'Americas' started by thesurvivalist, Jun 25, 2014.

1. DesertTortoise

DesertTortoise Freedom Fighter

Oddometer:

If you have a concealed carry permit and are in a state with reciprocity, you are good as long as you follow the laws of the state you are in. If you are in a state without reciprocity you are still protected by federal law for travelers on a peaceful journey. It gets fuzzy from there because you could be legally transporting a firearm, but illegally transporting a 15 round magazine. In Illinois for example there is limited reciprocity to carry inside a vehicle, but stop for gas and you could be breaking the law. Are you still on a journey if you stop to visit relatives for a day?

Also the law was written for cars. Where is the passenger compartment of a motorcycle? If the saddlebag is in lunging distance, is it legal? People often mention non lethal alternatives like pepper spray, taser, etc. these often have even more confusing laws than firearms.

Twa800 has the best solution if you do decide to transport thru an unfriendly state. Use a separate, locked case designed to transport a firearm containing only an unloaded firearm that is legal to possess in the state you are in.

Not debating if you should bring one or not, but hope that helps figure out the laws.

Edit: since you mentioned Colorado, they require you to be a resident of the state that issued the permit. It gets confusing.
  2. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine someone thinking, "Damn, I can let this m-f'er kill me or pay a bunch of legal fees," with any true concern which is the right decision. If it's a case where deadly force is justified there shouldn't be a consideration for your legal defense. If it is a deadly force situation, there is only one choice, you or him/her.
  3. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:

:rofl
  4. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
  5. bogus

bogus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really,you guys need to pack a pistol . How many of you scared paranoid girls have ever even been in harms way much less taken a life? Getta grip !!
  6. ZEmann

ZEmann want to be riding

Oddometer:
    i have a grip

[​IMG]

I take it you do not ? :lol3
  7. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Do you have anything to declare?"
    [​IMG]
    "Yeah, don't go to New Jersey!"

Fitting username is fitting.
  8. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    It all depends on why your carrying it.
    If I could legally carry it would be a .22 revolver like a Ruger Single Six for small critters around camp.

I am allowed to transport a rifle here, so depending on where I am going camping I often take my Ruger 10/22 Takedown.

I've never felt the need for a firearm for defense but there are other reasons and some people dont own a vehicle

Sent from my XT320 using Tapatalk 2
  9. FongMan

FongMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Twice, in harms way, asshole.

See, bogus is one of the self righteous twatwaffle's that shoves his .02 down others throats, well coming from NY, its all BS.
  10. bogus

bogus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well fongman i guess you ain't that narly. Better hang onto ur gun jack.:rofl
  11. FongMan

FongMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stay classy.
  12. ZEmann

ZEmann want to be riding

Oddometer:
    you have mad word skills for name calling and hiding behind a keyboard
    so you are safe no need to carry
    [​IMG]