CARVAN OF FOODS – THE GS RALLY TOUR

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    The plan was originally to circumnavigate the East Cape, but changed once the GS Rally (at Mangawhai, north of Auckland) was announced. Suddenly things got bigger than a long weekend away, & expected mileage went up a bit.

I’d done a lot of prep for this one, so was hopeful of an ‘event free’ break away. The best laid plans....I'd even contacted several councils to ask for the roads (we planned to use) to be freshly graded. Fortunately most were able to accommodate us...

Nine committed to the trip, with another potentially shadowing us or meeting us at the GS Rally. Five sidecars, & four solos, consisting of seven Airheads, an F650GS (single), & a DR650.

Day One - Wed 6th Nov:
    Meet up was at Everest Cafe, Featherston, at 8.30am, ready for a 9.00am leaving time. The alarm went off the normal time, & there were no dramas getting to the meet up. Traffic & weather even (basically) cooperated. And time for a coffee at Everest Cafe... Very civilised

First fill at Faulknors at Te Ore Ore Rd, Masterton., basically because the route didn’t allow for any gas stops for the entire day. 366 kms from Everest Cafe to Westshore Holiday Park, including a beach section. I’d told everyone to pack sufficient gas for 400kms, so most had a few jerrycans strapped to their bikes.

Out via Bideford & the first gravel sections, pretty dusty, & I was Tail End Charlie. Then back to Bartons Line, & Pori Rd, heading towards Makuri.

[​IMG]

By the first climb at Pori Rd, Charlie’s Sidecar was already trying to lose it’s mudguard. Literally a shakedown trip for Charlie on a relatively new rig. By next year I’m sure he’ll have bought shares in a nyloc nut & loctite supplier, & developed & pared down the rig somewhat.

[​IMG]

Coonoor & Towai Rd – the wind was fairly strong round the Limeworks, & so we needed to take shelter in the lee of a hill for a lunch break.

[​IMG]

I led out for the next section out to SH52, then Tahuokaratu Rd & Birch Rd East, though a forestry section. Some of the boys did a little modelling for Cactus Outdoors there.

[​IMG]

More bits fell off Charlie's rig in there - but that was an ongoing theme, so barely worth mentioning.

I think the solo riders really really appreciated my work with the various councils...

Onto Porangahau, a bit of misdirection from the GPS, then Hunter Rd to Blackhead Beach.

[​IMG]

I’d planned a beach section given we’d done this with Barts RRR a while ago, & it seemed firm then. But the first section was softer than I recalled. I think some behind me had a few challenges, especially over the Aramoana slip portion. Past that, the beach was as I remembered it. It seemed rude not to do a few doughnuts towards the end. We also needed to thread through the reef portion a bit carefully – hadn’t really thought about that, but knew quads coped okay, so what could possibly go wrong.

[​IMG]

My first attempt at getting off the beach went sideways. Not enough momentum & drive. But another beach access point further up the beach had more rock in it, so was a bit easier. One sidecar even got air...

[​IMG]

The Elsthorpe / Kahuranaki Rd proved just too far for Chris on the F650GS, & he basically collapsed onto a ditch on the side of the road.. That was fairly sobering. Because that was a transport section, we’d ended up spread over a fair distance, & Bill (Tail End Charlie at the time) needed to do a bit of chasing to gather us all back together. We developed a plan to transport Chris in a sidecar, & then to go back to retreive the bike & gear later. Fortunately he recovered somewhat, after some water & food, & was able to continue on at an easy pace.

Unfortunately part of the rest of the group became separated from us. So they took their own magical mystery tour, arriving at Westshore Camp some time after us.

I'd booked a Motel Unit, & Tourist Flat, which seemed to work out okay. Except for Norbert, who slept on the floor.

It was here that the Tour gained it's name. Charlie had arranged for some 'tour stickers', based on a link MD had added in the email trail. Unfortunately the printers proof reading skills proved to be sadly lacking...'The Caravan Of Fools' somehow morphed into the 'Carvan of Foods Tour'...

[​IMG]

To be continued.

Attached Files:

2. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice write up but I can't see the photos.
    Whale Rider likes this.
  3. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    Sadly no.

Edit - can see them now
  4. Jeff Sichoe

Jeff Sichoe ruddy bastard

Oddometer:
    At work, Chrome - no :(

If I run incognito mode I get prompted for google account logon, so looks to still be permission issues?

You COULD, if you could be bothered, upload from Google Drive to an imgur.com account. I wouldn't archive anything important on imgur, but images i've uploaded years and years ago are still there under my profile so there is some decent retention.

Looking forward to seeing the pics tho, as usual :)
    glitch_oz likes this.
  5. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

Google pics has recently moved the goal posts again, Andrew (Evled) has the same issue with his pics.
    If you go into "edit" your post, then click the little spanner/ page icon at the top right corner of the editing pane, your msg reverts back to the BBcode editor
    and you can see your pic-links.
    For links to work and be recognized as a graphic, they HAVE to end in a graphic-file ending like .jpg/ .bmp/.png or such. Otherwise they are not recognized as an image and don't show up in the post.
    MrKiwi likes this.
  6. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just saw some rough old Ex army looking rig roar through town, so someone is making his was homeward... bits flapping away everywhere...:lol3 Thought it might have been followed by a bit of chinese Junk... but I guess you're already home.
  7. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    @dazzadm Yes, that would have been Charlie, on his way back from Auckland. He left us at Raglan to go back up to Auckland for some work commitments.

I made it back to Wellington Tuesday night. Gus is current unshackled from the sidecar, in solo ride to work mode. The sidecar is sitting forlornly in a corner of the garage, pending some care & attention (or to put it another way, money & repairs).

Day Two – Napier to Awakeri
    :
    Another big day & early start. Bacon & eggs for breakfast, courtesy of the chilly bin (bet you solos have luggage envy...). Filled at Bayview

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Looking back at Eskvale

MD was leading, me as Tail End Charlie (if for no other reason than to collect bits dropping off Charlie's sidecar). SH5 thru Eskvale, Waipunga Rd, & along the ridgelines onto Darkys Spur Road.

[​IMG]
    Andy

[​IMG]

Coming down from the heights I felt the need to moderate the sliding (a lot). It’s a long way down on that section.

[​IMG]
    Charlie & Chris just visible in the distance nr the corner

Out onto SH2 above Tutira.

The next divergence was Mohaka Coach Road after Kotemaori. Tight road thru a forestry section, down to the Mohaka River mouth. Now sometimes used for car rallies, this was constructed in 1890 but would have been a handful with coach & horses. Nothing much left across the bridge at the river mouth now.

Early lunch at the Wairoa – East End Cafe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had the Lamb Shank Pie & salad- which I can recommend, and an Iced Coffee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shop next door had briefly been used as a live (somewhat quirky) venue until it was shut down by Wairoa council. Now filled with Memorabillia. Good of the cafe staff/ owners to let us have a wander in there.

Lost the crew straight after the cafe. Turns out MD had taken them sightseeing, but the memo didn’t reach me. Fortunately we were able to regroup before I decided to chase them down. By now it was getting hot. I saw 32-33 degrees on the Vapor speedo unit (which has an external sensor, so is fairly accurate).

[​IMG]
    Caught the Publican in the midst of mowing the lawns - it may have been a quiet day

I took the lead again. Good to be riding in clean air. Stopped at Tiniroto Tavern for a quick one, given the heat, but that meant bypassing the next gravel section to keep the timings okay. SH2 again on the outskirts of Gisborne, heading towards Opotiki.

Turned right at Whakarau Rd, which again had council cooperation with some freshly graded sections, a few concrete bottomed fords, & a few elevation changes. By the end of that section my middle mudguard stay had succumbed to the corrugations, so I got busy with my duct tape, creating a new, much closer bond with the sidecar.

Onto the mighty Motu. We let the solos loose on this one, with the view they’d be faster than us thru the rough stuff. But quicky caught Andy, who’d had a little lie down on the first uphill section. Yes, we even managed to get the Motu graded for the summer season - how good is that! It was actually in pretty good nick. The sidecars may have dawdled a little through here.

[​IMG]
    Norbert

[​IMG]
    Charlie

[​IMG]
    Ken

[​IMG]
    MD

[​IMG]
    Sidecar regroup. I may have some photos of Gus from 2014 at this exact spot.

Then the final push thru Opotoki across to Awakeri. The sweepers round the back of Whakatane were a bit of fun...

Due to some confusion at the Awakeri Hot Springs Camp Reception, we ended up with three cabins (booked two), which meant that everyone could spread out a lttle. No extra charge. I cooked for myself again. A heat & eat rice & chicken curry. Feeling fairly dusty & tired, & couldn’t be bothered getting on the sidecar again to get takeaways. At the end of a long day, I’d have to say that the hot pools were very very welcome.

[​IMG]

More to come...
  8. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah.... Wish I'd been there...
    Box'a'bits likes this.
  9. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Day Three, Friday 8thNov – Awakeri to Mangawha
    Second day of bacon & eggs for breakfast.

Led out. Had a couple of false starts. Just down the road from camp, deployed the air brake when the boot lid flew up. I may not have secured that. Lost my 3 litre water container out the back somewhere. And around Kawerau had a major panic attack when I thought I’d lost my camera. Turns out I was wearing it. These ‘senior’ moment impact on us all...

Lost Chris at Kawerau. He was heading off to see a friend, & had never intended to complete the whole ride with us

The first portion of the ride took in a forestry section around the top of the Rotorua Lakes.

[​IMG]
    Charlie

This included Hamilton Rd, which unfortunately had signage that indicated that there was no through road. But we took it anyways. I’m guessing that the signage is because it is not maintained. Has one or three erosion ruts through it, & a wee tank trap right at the end. Not one to take at speed on the sidecar. And wouldn’t be a good one to take your car down (unless it was a rental).

[​IMG]
    Kane

[​IMG]
    Andy

[​IMG]
    Bill

Lost Bill shortly after that. He needed to get back home to work. And then there were seven.

[​IMG]
    A wee animation from Google. Strangely hypnotic...

A couple of false turns round the top of the lakes. My little hiking GPS doesn’t handle routes very well, so as a backup I’d loaded tracks as well. I ended up using those exclusively, but the GPS can be a little confusing when it zooms in & out. It also needs movement to set direction. Plenty of potential for navigational error.

Early lunch at Te Poi Truck stop. Good cheap food.

[​IMG]

Took the sealed Te Aroha back roads. Scenic, not particularly challenging, little traffic. Gassed at Te Aroha, & was spotted by a friend of mine on her way up to Thames for a Steampunk event. How small is NZ again?

We were supposed to ride via Miranda & the coastline into Auckland, but in the interests of clearing Auckland before any traffic buildup, decided to staightline it thru Bombay instead. That may have been a mistake. And then got delayed in a big jam part way nr Manakau anyway. Nearly ran up the back of a big 4wd when he emergency braked, but managed a quick lane change to resolve that one.

The run past Newmarket & the CBD was uneventful, & we managed to keep together as a group – challenging in the heavy traffic.

Had a regroup / fuel up / coffee stop at Barrys Point Rd in Takapuna. Managed to get a new 18” tube to carry as a spare – just before we left Wellington I discovered my spare was MIA, & that’d worried me for most of the trip (running 18” wheels on the sidecar & front, 17” on the rear).

Back on the motorway, avoided the toll portion by running through Orewa, and then back to SH1 heading North. Near Mangawhai the GPS led us astray again, down a gravel dead end road. No issues with that, but not in the plan.

Made Mangawhai about 5.30-6.00 ish, filled at the ‘GAS’ station, then tootled in to the GS rally event HQ to sign in, get our rally packs, to pick up the roll chart for navigation, & for a BBQ dinner (burger & sausages). I managed to mutilate my roll chart using the guillotine, so needed some detective work to get it all back in order.

Another magical mystery tour to get to camp, but made it. Managed to squeeze all 6 of the other guys into the bigger unit (the camp owner was very accommodating & pointed out a pull out sofa bed). And I got the Eco Cabin to myself (but paid double what the others did for the privilege).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The map I've put up was the planned (rather than actual) route. We ended up going straight from Bombay up the Auckland Motorway

More to come...
  10. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for scouting this for me ;) There's a checkpoint on Ponui Road, just off Mohaka Coach Road next year. Worth the effort when I'm on a mission - I calculate my timings based on a 50km/h av on gravel.
  11. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean by senior moments, I had one last weekend, I left my tank bag partly undone. Fortunately it was only wet wipes that flew out, not my phone or wallet.

Geez, that mistake was right under my nose and I still didn't see it :fpalm
  12. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    a useful technique that has translated over from my work is to 'walk around' and do a lap of the bike before getting on it.

witnesses don't even realise what you're doing, but every now and then you save a balls up.
    boxer odyssey, dazzadm and innathyzit like this.
  13. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Day Four – The GS Rally
    MD bailed for the day – ill.

Sign on from 7.45am riders briefing 8.45 am, first riders out shortly after that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bill Biber joined us for the event.

Charlie hadn’t done rallies before, so was a noob to this. Norbert, Ken & Kane had the directions, but no roll chart box. So that left me & Bill as Navigators.

There are very few pictures from this day, mainly because :

1. I was mostly leading & concentrating on where we were supposed to be going, &;
    2. It rained for the 1st sections, & I just didn’t get my camera out much.

The route was all roads, mostly gravel, with no special sections, beaches or other challenges. Circa 75 odd riders registered,, which compares poorly to the 210 registered at the last Raglan event. I’ve plotted the course & put it up a screenshot of this. 337 kms for the day.

Dusty to start with, then drizzle came in. I made the mistake of trying to wipe my visor clear. That resulted in a smeared mess – I should know better. That resolved itself (eventually) with more precipitation.

The day cleared somewhat by our morning tea stop at a Waipu bakery. Gobbled a pie & stashed some sandwiches (which made it all the way back to camp to feed the ducks there).

The highlight section for me was the Waipu Gorge & Golden Stairs Roads, which I understand have been WRC sections. These are fast, flowing, & fairly grippy. I did take one right hand corner sideways, fairly hard on the brakes, thinking I may just slide off the road. But managed to collect things up before that happened.

We might have pissed a few riders off, by passing them, then stopping to regroup, then passing them again. If we did, then let me apologise here. But we were faster than most of the solos, so running behind them just didn't make sense to me.

Lunch at The Blah Blah Blah Cafe at Dargaville. Upsold myself from BLAT to Lambs Fry & Bacon. Yummy. Can recommend it :dukegirl

[​IMG]

The afternoon sections I found not as compelling, & the corrugations harder. Somewhere towards the end of the Rally the sidecar suspension collapsed, so I was running on the suspension stops – so no wonder things weren’t quite as good as the morning run.

Back to Rally HQ. Tacos & Chillie, a beer, awards & then back to camp.

[​IMG]

More to come
    dazzadm, boxer odyssey, EVLED and 4 others like this.
  14. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Day Five- Mangwhai to Raglan
    Start of the return home. Hmmm.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    My wee Eco Cabin

Woke early with a view towards pulling the sidecar suspension down. I wanted to see what the issue was. It felt like it was just jammed up. Or maybe the spring had broken. Either way, I wanted to identify the issue so I could determine if there were safety concerns. I’d been told that it’d been serviced not long ago to meet WoF requirements.

I lifted the chair so that Gus was resting on the RHS cylinder. This is beyond the tipping point, so the sidecar was elevated, & there is no weight on the sidecar suspension.

The suspension is a torsion bar that runs across the frame, and is connected to the sidecar leading swingarm and the frame by a spline at each end. The frame spline should be fixed. There are internal bushes for the swingarm to pivot on. When I pulled the suspension to pieces, the whole assembly was dry & rusty in there. Actually from my perspective that may have been okay, because with some lube, I thought we might have a working suspension again. Unfortunately after reassembling, & setting the tub back down on the wheels, the weight of the sidecar collapsed the suspension again. It feels as though one of the splines (either in the frame or at the swingarm) is spinning, either because the splines are damaged, or the locator key in the frame has let go. Given I couldn’t fix things there, I reassembled the swingarm, & decided I’d be riding a rigid sidecar home. As it transpires, because the sidecar suspension remains compressed, the rigs alignment is out, & the chair’s handling has become...less stable / prone to tankslapping.

Before we left, an old fella came across on a Honda Cub. I’d seen him the day before heading out on a BSA Gold Star. Turns out he was quite the enthusiast. He had another couple of interesting bikes in his garage. The others went across for a visit while I finished sorting my shit out.

Given the still variable weather, & MD still not feeling 100%, we decided to main road it back through Auckland.

I was leading through Dome Valley, but got an unexpected blow to the face / helmet. Something black. And whatever it was was still hanging off the right side of my helmet. Turns out I’d been wacked by a Tui – killed him outright, & tore the peak off my helmet. The Shoei helmet has visor & peak mountings screws that are designed to shear off in an impact. They’d done that, but the RHS screw had remained. The peak was what was flapping on the right side of my helmet – not the Tui (which was what I originally thought that was). Really, really glad I’d packed the duct tape, which came to the rescue again...

After fixing the damage we moved back into the (very heavy & slow moving traffic). I discovered I hadn’t secured my Camelbak lower straps. I attempted to clip these together, but doing that put the rig into a vicious tankslapper. That popped the GPs out of its cradle. Quick reflexes caught that, but I bent back & bruised a finger grabbing it (lock to lock tankslapper). Managed to gather things back up, & decided the Camelbak strap could remain unclipped for a while.

Used the free Orewa toll bypass, then back onto the motorway. The weather was looking a bit threatening, but I didn’t want to do the ‘boil-in-a-bag’ thing with wets.

A few kms down the road, the heavens opened. It looked like we were traversing towards a clear spot, so I kept going, but no, the 1st trickle started, then gradually we moved from damp, to wet socks & jocks, to drowned rat. As wet as I’ve ever been on a bike. And then joy, the rain stopped, I’d lost the group, & I could do the heat exchanger thing – and freeze - as the moisture evaporated.

Pulled off at Bombay & rode to Pukekohe central, hoping to catch the guys there. Pulled into the Pukekohe McDonalds, used the loo, then texted Ken. ‘Oh we are just at a BP in Pukekohe – I can see a McDonalds from here’ was the return text, & sure enough, I could see the group just down the road a bit.

Pulled on the wets (mainly to stay warm), rejoined the group, & followed MD out to Tuakau – but not before stopping (on dotted yellow lines on the road side) to watch some car racing at the Pukekohe Race track.

Lunch at Tuakau. A rosti & something or other creation, which Mrs Box.a.bits would approve of. It was just okay, but a bit sparse on volume.

Followed MD out through Port Waikato, Limestone Downs & down to Raglan. Good for the Soul country. A couple of heavy showers, but generally the heavy weather stayed away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coming into Raglan, we stopped at the bottle store for a few supplies (Coruba & Coke, beers).

The campground had had another booking blue, & had us spread in three 8 bunk bunkrooms., but again were happy for us to use these. That worked well for us. The bunkrooms were arranged around a courtyard & tables, with the facilities at one end. There was just room for us to squeeze the sidecars & bikes into that area. Turns out the big sun shades were not waterproof though. The rain just started as we came in & got heavier & heavier.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

During a wee break in the rain, the other group we were sharing the facilities with came in. I think they were initially taken aback by the bikes. Mostly girls on a bus tour. I think they quite liked Charlie...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Walked across the bridge for dinner. Wasn’t too sure I should be holding an umbrella if the lightening started again. Impressive lightening display while we ate dinner...

Back at camp Charlie introduced us to inapproriate songs by the Blood House Gang – including one about a lap dance. Listen to that at your peril...
    dazzadm, boxer odyssey, eri and 2 others like this.
  15. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Day Five: Raglan to Whangamomona.
    Gassed, & then Kane & Charlie peeled off. Charlie for a few days work in Auckland. Kane because his phone was starting to get heated, with work backing up at Awahuri.

The balance of the group backtracked towards camp & beyond to ride the coastal road through the Te Hutewai State Forest. This was tight & scenic. I led & quickly outpaced the guys. Some of them were (apparently) not feeling 100%. Don’t know why. I was fairly chipper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped at one point for photos. Took a wee while for the main bunch to catch up. I was then Tail End Charlie, & gassed it to catch up. Within 100 metres, the GPS bailed on me. Fortunately easy to find, but jumping ship at (relative slidecar) speed is never good for electronics. ‘Yes’, I thought, ‘I must secure that better at the next break’.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Passed the Ruapuke Motor Camp – remote but looked worthy of later investigation. Linked back to the main road at Te Mata.

Part way toward Kawhia there was signage that the road might not go all the way through. Well, what can you do. I rarely turn around, so we kept following the pink line. We started coming across cyclists in 2’s or 3’s, with groups all the way through to Pio Pio. Turned out there was a marathon ‘Mega Grind’ event running from Rotorua.

Stopped for lunch at Opararau Roadhouse & General Store. I think I visited this for the 1st time way back in 2009. A very quirky mum & dad affair.

[​IMG]

A little later in the afternoon we had a 5 km backtrack (major concession from me) because I wasn’t paying attention to the GPS – I was enjoying the road too much. Winding sealed road. Problem was we should have been on winding gravel roads, going over the mountain on Hauturu Rd.

At the bottom of Hauturu Rd, we were entertained by a farmer shifting balky cattle. One cow was determined that she wasn’t going anywhere near the cattle yards. That was compounded by a dog who was more intent on chewing ears, than directing cattle. And the farmer’s wife was late to the party. I suspect the farmer was near boiling point, not helped by the fact that we were watching.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really should have stopped & photographed the valley & waterfall from near the summit.

Did a bit of 'tail end charlie' for that section & discovered how much a bit of speed had been helping the sidecar float over the corrugations. Fairly uncomfortable. Compounded by the fact my mate with the grader had visited. Some of the gravel chunks were a liitle on the large side.

Took the lead again over Waipuna Rd, which was a hell of a lot of fun. I recommend it for slidecars. Flowing good gravel, no real crown to the road, perfect for a bit of sliding action. When I saw Ken coming up in my mirrors I may have added just a wee bit more pace. So it was with much chagrin that I noted the GPS had abandoned ship again, somewhere along there. Fortunately Ken recalled a black rock coming out from beneath the sidecar, so we backtracked. We spent quite a bit of time walking the section of road, checking the berm & long grass, but couldn’t find it, so gave it up as lost. I’d been checking the outside of corners, but Ken found it at the last moment, right at the spot he’d thought it’d come off on, sitting nicely in the grass, on the inside of the corner. I cable tied it on after that.

[​IMG]
    Waipuna Rd. Not a bad spot for the GPS to have a rest at...

By the time we got back to the rest of the group Norbert had moved on. He’d decided to leg it for home. And MD had discovered some snow chains he grabbed for garden art.

So that left four, MD, Ken, Andy & me....

Stopped for Gas at Pio Pio (for those a little less endowed). It was 3.55pm. I switched on the phone to send a message to Mrs Box.a.bits, to remind her she couldn’t collect on the life insurance money yet. And discovered several missed calls & an urgent voicemail message from my boss. When I called her, I discovered my whole team had been ‘dis-established’. Well, that buggered the tone of the day for me a bit :(

I led through the next section, through Aria & Ohura. I may have been a little distracted though. Certainly not as ‘in the moment’ as Waipuna Rd. Decided to stay with the group & not run for home. Bugger it, I’m on holiday, & I’m not worrying about jobs until I’m back.

[​IMG]

Stopped for a photo at the Hobbit Hole, then on to Whangamomona. Neither Andy nor I had a reservation, & it turned out the Hotel had been fully booked (by people doing the rail trail thing & the local power company, who were doing major work in the area). But as it happens, the publican was able to slightly rearrange things in order to get the four of us into the Post Office next door.

Pub meal & a few beers, then a moonlight walk to the camping ground (which looked okay).

Comfy beds

[​IMG]

More to come
  16. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Great stuff! Zigzagging down the Nth Is west coast is so much fun, need to do a weekend out that way ourselves sometime.

Good luck with getting re-established employment wise.

Cheers
    Clint
    Box'a'bits likes this.
  17. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, some great roads in there. Will have to get this building work finished so I can go riding again...
    Box'a'bits likes this.
  18. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    The final day - Whangamomona to home:
    Big breakfast at the Hotel.

[​IMG]

Turns out MD has met the garage owner before, & also knows his partner from a past life. So we wandered over to scope the place out when he made an appearance. Interesting place that does more than Automotive repair, & has a bit of history in it. As does his partner’s shop, which she is just getting up & running. Andy was unable to make off with an enormous hip flask which he discovered in the back – that one's staying.

[​IMG]
    I'm guessing these two are getting pretty used to Tourists - they were very accommodating when it came photo time.

MD went through his morning start up ritual, which the rail trail people enjoyed (they were fascinated by the sidecars, & came out to watch as we prepared to leave). Captured (not by me) for postierity.

[​IMG]

I’d planned a number of short deviations to capture two more of Taranaki’s tunnels, & to avoid the main road as long as possible, but in the end we main roaded it – it just seemed easier.

[​IMG]

There was a bailey bridge after the main saddles. MD stopped at the end of one, Andy didn’t, & added to the patina of the Ural.

Gas & second breakfast at Stratford (must be the influence of the hobbit hole). The exterior of the place didn’t look promising, the inside & the coffee did.

Stopped again at Patea, at the Patea Freezing works. Quite photogenic. And a great place to lose the coffee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went for another magic mystery tour of the south side of the Whanganui River to see a Maori Land Wars Redoubt. Dug as a hidden shelter, with gun ports, going back into the bank. Cloustrophobic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I noticed MD didn't feel the urge to squeeze down the back of this with us...

Back out via Fordell, Marton, missed the turn off for Halcombe, so ended up parallelling SH1 on backroads.

Andy split from us round Levin, but ended up with a flat tyre 2 kms from home.
  19. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great write up. Where abouts' is the Redoubt located?
  20. Box'a'bits

Oddometer: