Cascade Discovery Route

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Apple Jam, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    April 18th is a Saturday; let's DO THIS!!
    The sections that have needed the most maintenance in the past are from near Frog Lake to Olallie Lake area. We can ride the actual Route all day and clean up as we go. I'll have a kick-ass 14" long brush saw that fits easily on the bike. Maybe someday I'll buy a smaller Stihl that I can rig up a mount for on the bike.

I'd be open to meeting at the Frog Lake SnoPark near Blue Box Pass on Hwy26, and making breakfast there. Let's meet from 9-10 am there, kickstands up at 10am. It has LOTS of Parking, but a Sno-Park permit is required until April 30 for those trucking in, but I doubt they'll enforce it if there's no snomobil-ers or snow. It is a pleasant place to wait for others, has a vault toilet, it's right smack on the Route, and from there it's all dirt to Olallie, except a VERY short section of the single-lane paver FS58 and another short section of forest paver South of Timothy Lake. We'll likely hit snow somewhere, but I know all the alternate routes well to get us around it.

Circus in the Sky....can we put a link to some tracks in this thread somehow?
    Or at least lets email them out to these trail maintenance volunteers.
    It's time to begin sharing "Section 1" of this Cascade Discovery Route :nod

I like your attitude about anti-littering, I ALWAYS police that kinda stuff on every ride I'm ever on. You will leave MY forest clean, albeit maybe with a few roost marks on roads only :deal
  2. UPNOVRIT

UPNOVRIT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sold, Frog Lake Sat. the 18th. Who's in? May as well take baby bear TW as long as I'm trucking it and packing breakfast stuff. May just find a way to pack the chain saw on it. Hold my beer, watch this.
  3. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'm in assuming there's no dumping of snow between now and then. And I'm not still at Camp Rilea shooting cap guns.
  4. TheMarmot

TheMarmot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Late to this thread (hiatus), but had a good laugh at the map in the original post.

The 2013 ride you guided is still a story I tell to all those who ask about adventure riding. Start at a camp site next to Big Lake, lots of drinking in between, and end up in Hood River. How awesome is that?

Recently sold the 640 and purchased a 450 (thanks Mat!). Looking forward to some of these local rides, Jeff!

-Taylor
  5. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Ahhh....you bought Matloik's 450 EXC-R?
    Sa-weeeet :clap

Thanks so much for drawing those squigly lines on that map for us,
    ...I do believe it nails the spirit of the CDR

So,...you coming to the CDR trail clearing party April 18th?
    You missed out on all the tree cutting back then. SuperD! (you didn't meet him, he left us at Detroit Lake on our way down), pigpen and I cleared them all on the way down to meet you at Big Lake. Worked our asses off we did :nod

Dog, I really miss those extra play days in my life.
    Insitu still treating Dustin and you well?
  6. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Apple Jam Wrote:

April 18th is a Saturday; let's DO THIS!!
    The sections that have needed the most maintenance in the past are from near Frog Lake to Olallie Lake area. We can ride the actual Route all day and clean up as we go. I'll have a kick-ass 14" long brush saw that fits easily on the bike. Maybe someday I'll buy a smaller Stihl that I can rig up a mount for on the bike.

I'd be open to meeting at the Frog Lake SnoPark near Blue Box Pass on Hwy26, and making breakfast there. Let's meet from 9-10 am there, kickstands up at 10am. It has LOTS of Parking, but a Sno-Park permit is required until April 30 for those trucking in, but I doubt they'll enforce it if there's no snomobil-ers or snow. It is a pleasant place to wait for others, has a vault toilet, it's right smack on the Route, and from there it's all dirt to Olallie, except a VERY short section of the single-lane paver FS58 and another short section of forest paver South of Timothy Lake. We'll likely hit snow somewhere, but I know all the alternate routes well to get us around it.

Circus in the Sky....can we put a link to some tracks in this thread somehow?
    Or at least lets email them out to these trail maintenance volunteers.
    It's time to begin sharing "Section 1" of this Cascade Discovery Route :nod

I like your attitude about anti-littering, I ALWAYS police that kinda stuff on every ride I'm ever on. You will leave MY forest clean, albeit maybe with a few roost marks on roads only :deal

DiggerD Wrote:

Loose plan for me is to Van in with bike (XR650R), tools and grub Friday night and spend the weekend working Saturday and then riding the route we worked on, Sunday. Might even have my mono wheel bike trailer done by then to haul some tools.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  7. 12120

12120 Unwittingly Domesticated

Oddometer:
    I will see if I can re-arrange my work schedule and make this. My kinda fun. Clear trail, ride momocycles, :D, :clap,:wings:wings, yep. Weekend off swap is called for. Will check when I get to work and see if I can.

Course I will have to get the motor put together and in the bike. A few shake down runs to see if its gonna stay together. Details.

Chris
  8. ttime4four

ttime4four Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a definite maybe.

Just to clarify - this is just to clean up the trail for the day (not camping)? Traveling light (saws, hatchets, gloves, shovels, snacks, water)?
  9. DiggerD

Oddometer:
  10. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Hmm. Camp there Friday night? I had not thought of that yet :hmmmmm
    I know an EXCELLENT dispersed campspot about two miles down the gravel road from the Frog Lake Snow Park right smack on Frog Lake Creek. Should be room for a couple trucks....

Good luck, and look forward to seeing you again!
    Well, it wasn't,... until DiggerD's lightbulb went off :freaky
    Hard to argue with a good plan :deal

For any not into camping Friday night,
    we'll stick to breakfast at 9 and kickstands up at 10 am from Frog Lake Sno Park, right off Hwy 26.

I'll be towing my Moto-Mule :deal
  11. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Hey y'all....

Don't forget to pack LUNCH.
    Real fucking lunch. Not just "snacks"
    Like a Ham Sammich kinda lunch.
    You will earn it and you will need it.
    We will wear you out.
  12. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Yo AJ...Got a buddy with a big GS who wants to come and work.
    Will we end up working harder to get his bike thru this route than working on trail?

Also..what type of work / tools? Just brush / de-limb / falling branch removal, or pick / shovel water bar erosion type of work.

I would save gas and have more fun getting there and back if I bring my KTM 950 rather than vaning in my XR650R.

But then again, is this section of the route big bike friendly, with out being a super human?:wink::wink:

Another tid bit...trail / route marking...The guy ( Tom N.) who puts on the Black Dog Dual Sport Ride in Mount Hood uses clothes pins attached to flaggers tape to mark his course.
    Might be a good idea to mark this course if you need to split up the work crew if there are too many workers in one spot.
    You know how it gets...always some people watching the others work.

Don't be afraid to tell me to STFU, AJ, if I am suggesting too much info.
    My skin is plenty thick...but I do have many years of coastal range m/c trail maintenance under my skin to take advantage of.:deal
  13. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Got it.

[​IMG]
  14. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys would have to go the weekend after the Desert 100 wouldn't you.....
  15. doc_simple

doc_simple Meat popsickle

Oddometer:
    great thread, local adventure route would be fantastic. Any chance there is a gpx file for the route from hood river to 26? I know the lolo pass road but that's a lot of pavement :cry

been wishing for something less paved from Portland to Sandy. Hell, wish we had something longer than a city block of unpaved in Southwest but that's pretty much fantasy.

I noticed your starting the trail cleanup south of Hood, does that mean the trails from HRD to 26 are clear?

thanks for posting this, OBCDR is great but as noted earlier that will be a high chance of being a blazing mess come August....
  16. 12120

12120 Unwittingly Domesticated

Oddometer:
    What will hopefully be the last parts order is showing up today!:clap Camping friday night sounds good. If I get all my dozen or so other ducks in a row I will make. Got the weekend off swap done. Just so happened that my buddy had the 18th off, so weekend trade was easy!

If I don't have the motor in maybe I will just bring the rolling frame along and have someone push me while I make motor noises. Squishy? what do ya think?:rofl

Chris
  17. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Now that's funny :lol3
    What, you expect your bike to still be broke by the next weekend? :lol3
    Bennett Pass, running the ridge at 6000+/- feet likely still has snow in the shadows, but I dunno for sure.
    This section I want to clean is less traveled than Bennett (The Jeeps & 4x4s generally keep Bennett clear).

CDR Section 1 of this Route is designed to tie right into OBCDR Routes 3 & 4,
    and CDR Section 2 will provide an alternate route South to OBDR Route 3.
  18. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Suggest away !!
    We won't need to mark it, but we may need to split up into two groups, if we have too many riders. That'll be easy enough to play by ear, but things are usually more fun as a group. I doubt we'd need pics and shovels, just saws and muscles. I don't want to improve the road, just clear it.

The entire Route is Big Bike Friendly, but some sections will be a challenge for n00bs. There are some small sections that n00bs decidedly will not like. One hidden section that heads up to Olallie Lakes is one of the very rutted, rocky, and challenging sections of nasty two-track (on the MVUM!) that might even piss off some intermediate big bike riders that aren't aggressive riders, but there is an alternate route of old Syline Rd that's still good old dirt 2-track, and perfect big bike fun. Both these have needed treefall cleared in the past. There is also a nasty loop that dances around Summit Lake that fits into this category.

The first section of old Abbott Rd up by Frying Pan Lake that has needed clearing is also very fun 2-track w/o too many challenges,...unless you want challenges, then all you have to do is ride it FASTER. Just past that is a very fun dead-end connector (made by quads...and might not be on the MVUM:d) that has needed clearing also. It is 1st gear and barely 2nd gear hard work for BBRs, but not overly challenging and full of smiles.

On another note....
    Your mere mention of flaggers tape brings up one-a my rants:
    All those colored tags I see as I ride my forests tied to soooo many tress by the side of the road come from a HUGE variety of sources; orange for the ditch cleaner, purple for the culvert cleaner, blue for the loggers, yellow for the surveyors, red for the road repair guy,...etc,...etc...(I made up these color/agency combos).
    It's fucking LITTERING, and it's UGLY.
    ...And it pisses me off (a lot!) that all these agencies do this.
    That rant said, I am confident that the Black Dog makes a big effort to also remove their clothespins and tape after every run. That's why they use clothespins instead of tying it on.
  19. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    AJ Wrote : " That rant said, I am confident that the Black Dog makes a big effort to also remove their clothespins and tape after every run. That's why they use clothespins instead of tying it on. "

Yep...EZ to remove and identify as yours.

Fine by me...less to do..

Ok....One more suggestion ....when trimming tree branches...leave 3/4 of an inch stub , clean cut.
    The tree will grow around this stub better than scaring the trunk.

Short is also safer than having a bunch of bungee sticks to avoid.

I have a 2 foot long bow saw and a 6 inch fold up saw to bring.

I should buy me a hand clipper too.

Hum.....what about a come-a-long winch? Good for log moving !<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  20. tdewitt

tdewitt gas'n it

Oddometer:
    April 18th got it marked on the calendar.