Cascade Discovery Route

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Apple Jam, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Mad_Rabbit

Mad_Rabbit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Going to try and ride a bit of this over an extended weekend I have starting tomorrow. Picking it up around Summit Lake and headed North till I decide to turn back towards Roseburg. Looking forward to it
    Apple Jam and svo_jon like this.
  2. Mistervelocity

Mistervelocity Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ***Cascade route is basically shut down right now. Do not attempt.***

Just getting loaded up in Hood River. Ride report when I get home.
  3. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    Cannot like
    Siorc likes this.
  4. Derek939

Derek939 Available in Extra Medium

Oddometer:
    Gotta get over to the south side of detroit to make it now....
  5. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can take it down to Rock Creek OHV. It's still a pretty good time going over Bennet pass. After that you either pick up the Barlow road at the edge of the closure and take it to Wamic, then highway south. Or, you take 48 to 4890 that's the detour, all the way back to 35, and then hop over to 26.

So yeah, it's pretty much two separate routes until 224 opens at minimum.
    BobcatSig, Derek939 and Apple Jam like this.
  6. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wadda we got? Fire?
  7. Mistervelocity

Oddometer:
    Alright, back in Idaho. We were riding a loop that started at Olive Lake. We rode OBDR 5.3 over past Seneca and caught route 4 over to Big Lake. The plan was to take the Cascade Route north to Pinemont. We hit our first road closure at Hawkins Rd about 10-12 miles south of Detroit. We sidestepped to the west and came in on the SW corner of the lake. We camped at Cove Creek.
    When we left yesterday morning we found Boulder Ridge gated and closure signs up. We went east to McCoy Creek Rd and found the same thing. At that point we backtracked to Detroit to catch Breitenbush Rd and found it gated also. We were sitting there when a mountain biker rode up. He said it was open the day before. While we were looking at maps and comparing to USFS closure lists a log truck driver showed up. He told us all of Jefferson county was closed. He also told us to reconsider going under the wire and said the forest cops will impound the bikes and we'd be arrested. Said it'd already happened to two guys in pickups. A few minutes later a guy in a forest service fire rig said basically the same thing. According to our estimates, we needed to get about 10 miles to be on the other side of the closures.
    We couldn't figure out any other way around so we rode through Silverton, Molalla, Estacada, Sandy, then up to Government Camp for lunch. Our hope was to fuel up at Hilltop and catch the trail east of 26. We got about 4 miles before another closure at Cedar Burn. There was a sign listing closed roads with a map of the forbidden zone. Another sign mentioned a $5000 fine and/or 6 months. We couldn't find another way around so we rode back up 26 and over to the Meadows turnoff. We caught the official route after about 5 miles of decent trail on Bennett Pass.
    The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful. We had an arranged pick-up in Hood River this morning so we camped on a hill top at 45.42011, -121.53522. Nice secluded dead-end spot that I'd recommend if you have a reason to camp close to the finish line like we did. There were even lots of trail closures near Pinemont.
    20210708_105658.jpg 20210709_144950.jpg
    20210709_161143.jpg 20210710_055600.jpg 20210710_082508.jpg 20210710_082753.jpg

So huge thanks to Apple Jam and the rest of you guys who developed and maintained the route. We had a great week, just wish we'd have been able to see it all. Looks like .gov won this round.
  8. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah. The Detroit closure is listed online, and will last a while. That has the longest workaround because the area was so badly fire damaged, and there are a couple wilderness areas to avoid.

Once you got back up to 26, best way to get back on track is to go down 48, take the parallel route (4890) down to where you hit the route. You can still go up and over Bennet pass.

If you got OBDR and the southern section, you got a lot of good riding in despite the closures!

FWIW all those closures are listed online, but you have to check the right NF page(s).
    BobcatSig and Mistervelocity like this.
  9. Mistervelocity

Oddometer:
    We still had a great ride, just didn't go as planned. 811 miles over 4 days. No injuries or breakdowns.
    Ride Now, Apple Jam, svo_jon and 2 others like this.
  10. Mad_Rabbit

Mad_Rabbit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I forgot to make a follow-up post from the other week but experienced a similar issue with the North Section. The portions of the Southern section I rode were mostly open, or dirt/gravel work-arounds weren't terribly hard to find. I did take some pictures for yall though. Its a super fun route and other than the record high heat everything went pretty well.

20210626_143154.jpg

20210626_095733.jpg 20210625_202408.jpg 20210625_174524.jpg 20210625_163801.jpg
  11. circusinthesky

circusinthesky SemperFidelisTyrannosaur

Oddometer:
    Don’t imagine anyone has a gps route that shows the detour selections? Might save some folks time in the short term.
    Thanks!
  12. The Craw

The Craw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any chance you ever received a recent “detour section” track? I’m leaving Pinemont today headed south for a quick one night ADV ride and then gonna slab back to Hood Rio tmro. Thinking I will get to White River/35 and slab to chevron. Is the Skyline paved road open yet?
  13. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    Skyline FS42 is open, and the CDR is open from Pinemont through to Bennett Pass and all the way to Rock Creek OHV where it is closed for fire restrictions, and the majority of Barlow Rd is closed for last year's fire after that. Should be perfect for a one-nighter!
    Rockaway and MotoCouch like this.
  14. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:

Skyline FS42 is open?
    How far south will it get you?
    Last I heard Detroit is blocked off going north up Brightenbush.
  15. 97707

97707 addicted to placebos

Oddometer:
    Rockaway likes this.
  16. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are on fire up here in Ardenvoir..Moe Creek.....The winds are still whipping @ 1 A.M..
    I viewed one of the air ships almost losing it after diving into the Columbia...
    Sure wouldn't want a crew to lose their lives over a fire..The ship following aborted going for a dip..The choppers were still flying but losing a lot of their water due to the wind on the way upriver......Thanks to the brave folks!!!!
    travisn000 and Rockaway like this.
  17. jaksavage

jaksavage Smooth and a little sneaky

Oddometer:
    Had a fun ride from Frog lake down to Olallie lake Sunday.
    That is where we hit the closed road.
    So close to Brietenbush but no way to get there.
    All the alternative routes are signed closed.
    Hit High rocks on our way back to Frog lake
    125 miles @ trip.
    20210808_112416.jpg
    MotoCouch, 97707, Rockaway and 4 others like this.
  18. mbillens1

mbillens1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all, I was thinking about riding this next month, but the closures around Detroit Lake make this seem pretty difficult without a huge reroute - and the Bull Complex is currently burning.

I did find a route to the east in magenta using Gaia GPS which I think is relying on USFS maps for trails, but I have no idea of the condition of any of these trails. Has anyone ridden the areas north of Gates and then east to connect with the main route?

I was glad I rode the BDR last year - I got to see Detroit and that part of the forest before the fires - pretty sad that so much of that burnt up now.

upload_2021-8-25_12-43-42.png
  19. AtExplorer

AtExplorer n00b

Oddometer:
    @mbillens1 did you end up riding it? Which route did you take? Would love any kind of report as Im planning on riding it in a few weeks
    loganlexow likes this.
  20. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    Bring rain gear