Cascade Discovery Route

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Apple Jam, Feb 2, 2015.

1. OR_Rider

OR_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BobcatSig and thirsty 1 like this.
  2. SFC_Ren

SFC_Ren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OR_Rider likes this.
  3. DRLExpress

DRLExpress n00b

Oddometer:
    Perfect, thank you so much.

Doug
    OR_Rider likes this.
  4. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    BobcatSig and OR_Rider like this.
  5. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    North Cascades Discovery Route Clearing Party, June 15, 16 and 17th.

We're gonna do another Cascade Discovery Route North Clearing party this June 15,16 and 17th. Yep.... just a couple of weeks away. We will do this again at the old Warm Springs Cabin site, where there is an old unused campground right next to the Skyline Rd 42, right off the road at the BIG intersection where two two-lane pavement turns to single lane on FS42. Right here....

44.988846, -121.788928
    or....
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/44°59'20.0"N+121°47'21.1"W/@44.9888898,-121.7913947,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d44.9888861!4d-121.789206

This is the same place we have had most of our clearing parties in past years.

This is a free and fun campout weekend that you pay for with work. Bring your own chainsaw, and/or handsaw, and help out with clearing dead fall that blocks our old hardly-beaten paths through the forest. If you don't have a chainsaw that you can strap on your bike, come prepared to lift logs, rocks and other obstacles that limit big bike use on our bad roads. We need plenty of 'laborors' as well as saw handlers.

I will be at this old campground on Friday afternoon, probly plenty early enough for a recon mission, and ready to camp Fri & Sat nights. We'll clean trail all day Saturday and part of the day on Sunday. There is no potable water onsite, but the headwaters of the Warm Springs river is right in camp to filter water from. Bring your own everything to eat/drink all weekend (and mosquito spray!),....but I'll make some fajitas for those who show up Friday night !!

As always, all ADVers that read this and wanna come are invited .
    Come whether you've ridden the CDR or not, or maybe you just want to check it out.

We always have fun at these clearing parties, and clearing party riders will get a 10% DISCOUNT on my North Roaming Rally scheduled for the end of July. If you've already paid your North Roaming Rally fees, I will happily return 10% to you for participating in the clearing party! Check out our Ride Oregon First website for details.
  6. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    South Cascades Discovery Route "Discovery Party" June 29-July 1, AND July 6,7 and 8th.

We're gonna do TWO weekends of the new South Cascades Discovery Route "discovery party" on June 29-July 1, and then do it AGAIN on July 6,7 and 8th weekend.

This NEW South Cascades Discovery Route (brought to us by ADV inmate 97707) has been fully ridden and documented by 97707, but I have not ridden these tracks yet (other than by random discovery in past years) and I MUST do so. Maybe we need to clear some road/trail, maybe we need to add some fun bad-road loops, maybe we just need to get out for the weekend and have lotsa moto-fun and no work at all. Whatever we find out there, this'll be a free and fun camping weekend if you come ready to work a bit.

As always, all ADVers that read this and wanna come are invited. Come whether you're gonna ride the South CDR or not, or maybe you just want to check it out.

Plan "A"....The reserved spots at Little Lava Lake are full, but half the sites are just walk-up only, which means we'll have a really good chance of snagging a couple walk-up sites early enough on Friday (July 6)....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...a3d7d49235a59!8m2!3d43.9101167!4d-121.7616971

Little Lava Lake CG is a small campground, we should be easy to spot. I'll get there just after noon on that Friday, maybe. If spots are full, we'll skip the huge main Lava Lake CG, and head to...

Plan "B"...at Cow Meadow Campground, on the Deschutes River just as it leaves Crane Prairie Reservoir, on FS4600-620....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/43°48'47.3"N+121°46'35.8"W/@43.8141138,-121.7712356,16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d43.81315!4d-121.7766

I've never been to either CG, but the brochure looks nice!!

I'll show up ready-to-camp on that Friday, just after noon hopefully, and we will camp both Friday and Saturday nights. I'll have Fajitas to feed any that show up Friday night. We'll be riding out from camp each day to discover what has been documented, and will always be looking for more cool stuff to ride. Please come if you know of cool bad roads to help us add to our files, or if you just wanna smile all weekend and have cheap fun.

All discovery party attendees will receive a 10% discount on our South Cascades Roaming Rally at the end of August. If you've already paid your South Cascades Roaming Rally fees, I will happily return 10% to you for participating in the discovery party! Check out our Ride Oregon First website for details.
  7. OR_Rider

OR_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hoping to be "in"! Can't make the work party as my daughter graduates that weekend.
    Apple Jam likes this.
  8. MotoCouch

MotoCouch That looks rideable.....

Oddometer:
    I rode a 125 mile loop a week ago that captured chunks of route 3 and 2 and bits of 97707's Klamath loop. Also snuck in a detour up to Summit Lake from Crescent Lake. It was a fun day. The good news - there was very little winter damge or down trees in that area and only patches of snow around 5600'.
  9. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd love to be in for this! More appropriate for a big bike (not a noob to rough stuff, just like to pick the right tool) or a WR? I'd much prefer to ride the GS the distance to get there, and will probably have fun on anything less than muddy gullys, rocky ledges, or really really steep stuff.
  10. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jeff -

Hope you have the Pig Roast again this year - that was a great dinner and Bear Springs was a nice, open group camp.

By the way Guys - This is a Wife/Spouse/Daughter/GF friendly trip. There were many women on the trip last year - my wife is signed up again! Sign Up Your Wife or GF!

RR
  11. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    10% of the riders in the Roaming Rally last year were lady riders, two came solo, and three had partners.
    Oh yes we'll have the Pig Roast again in the North Roaming Rally at Bear Springs !! DanDan the Kitchen man made that night rock, didn't he?

That depends on how much clearing we have to do...A big bike is perfect if we just ride all day, but a little bike is very handy if we get off/on off/on off/on etc like we do many years clearing lotsa trees. Especially if it's hot out. We'll see what we get! But I'm taking my big bike, so please join me!!
    MotoCouch likes this.
  12. Commiehunter

Oddometer:
    If your little bike is kick start only, on/off might be easier on the big bike! I'll probably be there on my GS.
    Apple Jam likes this.
  13. DirtyTrails

DirtyTrails Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a very good chance that a buddy and I will arrive Saturday morning and help out all day. What time do you plan to leave camp and start working?
    Apple Jam likes this.
  14. OregonExplorer

OregonExplorer n00b

Oddometer:
    Hoping very much to be in for this on my Husky 450. Will bring my light camp gear, a saw and be up for anything.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Apple Jam likes this.
  15. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Well you gotta bring camp gear for Saturday night then! We won't leave camp until 10am Sat or Sun mornings, no rush, plenty of time to let you guys get in from the big shitty.

I'll be up to the old Warm Springs camp this Friday as early as I can make it. Before 5-6pm dinner for sure. Oh yeah, if you come Friday night, I'll make a big batch of fajitas for everybody!
    Yes my kick start 2-smoke would kick my ass. Are you coming this weekend to the North clearing camp, or to July's south discovery? Or both? :clap

Good thing, Central Oregon usually delivers it all!
    Welcome!
  16. dougc

dougc I still didn't do it! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was planning on helping out on all the clearing parties but this weekend I'm committed to a CA trip to Weaverville (since last year). Hopefully I can make the south clearing/scouting weekend, at least I won't be on call.
    Apple Jam likes this.
  17. Commiehunter

Oddometer:
    South discovery. This weekend I already have a trip scheduled.
    Apple Jam likes this.
  18. DirtyTrails

Oddometer:
    Looks like we'll be arriving Saturday morning and leaving Sunday. I plan to pull the travel trailer if NF42 is a decent road from NF46 to Camp. Let me know if it's not and we'll just bring tents. We're bringing the lighter bikes, 2 chainsaws, work gloves, beers and... do I really have to bring whisky? How about vodka or gin
  19. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    No problem getting there with a truck & travel trailer on the single lane paved FS42. Right when it turns to two-lane, that's where we're camped, just off the road. A travel trailer may/may not fit in the very small campground size dependent, but a big gravel turnaround is a stones throw away with plenty of space, so it'll work out great either way for sure. No whiskey bribe needed!
  20. DirtyTrails

Oddometer:
    Looking at googlemaps, we'll setup at the gravel turnaround.
    Apple Jam likes this.