Cascade Discovery Route

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Apple Jam, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, next weekend June 22-24, I'll be promoting Ride Oregon First and Apple Jam's Roaming Rallies at the Touratech Rally in Plain, WA. I am allowed up to four Rally entrants with my vendor fee, and I need some easy help. Does anybody want a free entry to the Rally for the weekend, with the part-time job of helping out at my show booth? Please PM me if you and your bike wanna go.
    Rockaway, PeteN95, Gryphus1 and 2 others like this.
  2. BigDaveSr

BigDaveSr It’s All Good

Oddometer:

I am attending the Rally and look forward to meeting you in person AJ!
    Apple Jam likes this.
  3. AC09

AC09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Apple Jam Are there any updates on how the sign-ups are going? or the tracks for the Southern rally?
  4. BlackHawkChief

BlackHawkChief Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey @Jungleman get on this

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    Baroquenride and Apple Jam like this.
  5. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Sign-ups for the South Roaming Rally are not as good as I had hoped by now, at only 18 riders out of 50. That's why I'm going to provide a vendor booth at the Touratech Rally, to hopefully get more entrants from that crowd.

We're gonna do the "Discovery Party" for the South Route on the first weekend in July, and I should have the new completed tracks posted soon after that. 97707 did post up something close to the current plan way back near the beginning of this thread somewhere...
    BobcatSig likes this.
  6. AC09

AC09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I'll forward the Southern rally link to some folks who aren't on this site. Do you also advertise this in the West forum? Seems like a great event for some of the NorCal folks.
  7. 97707

97707 addicted to placebos

Oddometer:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/cascade-discovery-route.1041100/page-27

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/central-oregon-trips.1126021/page-2

AC09 likes this.
  8. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Thanks, 97707!!
    I can't really "advertise" the Roaming Rallies on ADV. That's not what ADV is for. I post general info on this thread because the CDR has high interest to our local riders and the tracks are provided for free. It's not appropriate (ADV rulz) for me to post a vendor-type thread in other regions. I have posted up in the main Vendors section, but nobody really notices that there. I won't do Facebook, just to have too much time wasted when I should be riding. So it's up to you ADVers to spread the word by word of mouth. Or word of keyboard in today's world.
  9. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    AJ, the southern route is still going to happen correcto? Also I had my pivot bearings fail on the OBDR yesterday and I limped back to Salem and got the parts to fix it. Are any of you going to be out and around the next few days? I’m going to pack back up and head north on the CDR from Detroit lake tomorrow. If anyone has the time please give me a pm. I’ll be solo for the next few days. I’ll be ending in Seattle by Saturday or Sunday. Cheers
  10. BlackHawkChief

BlackHawkChief Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please post back here with a route conditions update

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
  11. Go_find_a_tree

Go_find_a_tree Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was hoping to head out Friday morning, but looks like it will be Friday mid afternoon now. Heading to old warm springs cabin probably via abbot rd and 58 then south and around in circles till I get there, aiming for 7pm.
    Anyone else riding out from SE PDX in the afternoon?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
    Apple Jam likes this.
  12. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Why yes, several of us will be en-route clearing trail Fri/Sat/Sun, right here...

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/cascade-discovery-route.1041100/page-63#post-35149658

You should stop by, it's right on your way :nod
    Oh yes, I just want to make sure it works well before I post it up. Patience, you adventurous adventurers!
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  13. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will do but I don’t have much except a trip I did last year. I basically went from hood river up past olallie lake to Salem. If y’all got more I’ll take them. If not I’ll be heading from Hood River north on the WABDR to around Chelan or so.

EDIT. IN for trail clearing. I even have a hand saw with me. lol

EDIT # 2. I’ll just head over to HD tomorrow camp and then head back up to the pinned local on Friday.
    Apple Jam likes this.
  14. Greubin

Greubin Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dang it AJ..I'm on-call this weekend otherwise I would definitely be lending a hand this weekend.

I am free for the South Discovery Cleanup.. I'll stay tuned for more details and updates.

Have fun this weekend!

-Joachim

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Apple Jam likes this.
  15. 97707

Oddometer:
    Best version I have for a map of the south route looks like this:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tzmYgtbQ_-6Emh7RqIQMsJ-yYlw&usp=sharing

You can make a KML of it, load it into Google Earth or Basecamp. It is not in one continuous track or set of waypoints, so be aware it may not convert to a single ideal GPX file you'd want to load straight into your GPS.

I'll keep working with it and try and get it there.

BobcatSig, albacore, OR_Rider and 3 others like this.
  16. AC09

AC09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a ton of work to put together a route like that. Thank you for sharing!!!!
    BobcatSig and 97707 like this.
  17. OR_Rider

OR_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Apple Jam - do we know yet where camp will be setup for the South CDR Discovery party?
  18. 97707

Oddometer:
    Here are improved versions of the CDR South maps, as I have them so far. Someone else can decide what the "official" version turns out to be after a few rides on it.

I broke it into two files to make it more manageable.

snip Roaming South, north half
    snip roaming south north.JPG

map file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=17W2zcltZ46iVDRT5PUKGs-2X_IT2uTHo&usp=sharing

Its about 88 miles from Metolius to Lava Lake. If that's not enough riding, there's a metric buttload of side trips along the way to stretch it out. The side trip at 380 is recommended, plus excursions around Three Creeks Lake.

GPX file:

Attached Files:

JAS4 likes this.
  19. 97707

Oddometer:
    The GPX file loads into Basecamp just fine for me. I haven't loaded it onto my Garmin and tried to use it yet. So if you do and you ride off the edge of the earth . . . oh well, caveat emptor. It might be worth less than you paid for it. Those files are made from map based routes, not tracks taken from the rides.

I have ridden every mile of these routes, tho. Except the bit between Metolius and Big Lake. Had to make that up off the map.

Lava Lake to Diamond is something like 113 miles. Another 20 down to Crater lake rim.

snip Roaming South, south half
    snip roaming south south.JPG

map file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iRPXW3Nv3i00HvKOR3CqmRwouPEUj0dK&usp=sharing

GPX file:

Attached Files:

JAS4 likes this.
  20. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This looks so great. I am very excited.