Cascade Discovery Route

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Apple Jam, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see no point whatsoever in making this Route 'efficient'. The only part of the CDR so far that is etficient at all in heading N/S are the gravel roads South of Detroit. I'm just not sure there are any other options that go through on dirt.

If the roads "go through" to somewhere, even if, or especially if, it takes the loooong way to the South, and if they are bad-rutty rocky road fun and require no pavement to get to/from......then they meet my standards as a good bad road. I'm in no real hurry when I moto-camp, I just ride like I am.
  2. sprocket3

sprocket3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It just seems off the course to head east out to sisters to get fuel, which puts us on the OBCDR 3 possibly. Something that I thought you wanted to avoid and a lot of slogging down big gravel roads. I thought the idea was to stay up high in the Cascades as much as possible. I think if you go to sister for fuel it's going to feel like OBCDR 3b, not an entire new CDR. If we can make it to one of those lakes on "bad-rutty rocky road fun" I think that would be a better route. It might not be possible depending on the miles and the track from Detroit to Cultus/Elk Lake, I just think it should be explored.
  3. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    I absolutely agree. I just figured there was no good option to the West for gas because of that big Wilderness. I did find some great roads West of the Wilderness leading South to Belknap Springs, then I rode over 242 to Sisters. But gas is nowhere near Belknap, is it? Or even a long ways South or West of there. I have a 300+ mile range, so I don't care much, but I hear some noise from some of my small bike buddies about 110 miles. I can't remember the miles from Detroit South to Hwy 20, but it's a lotta paved miles West on 20 for gas. I'm not sure we can avoid Sisters for gas & grocery, there is nothing else out there, but explore away, I'm open!!

Hmmm, maybe Camp Sherman for an in & out?
    Do they have gas & grocery?
  4. peterman

peterman cop magnet

Oddometer:
    Springfield,,,,like the Simpsons,,,orygun
    fuel cache,,find a camp spot halfway to where you wanna ride, and have someone with a truck full of fuel camp there,,,,55 gallon drum and a pump, yer all set! Beside a small trout lake would be nice so the fueler has something to do while awaiting yer arrival,,,:1drink
  5. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Seems as if the Royota may have an ADV purpose :wink:
    We'll buy your fishing license, and you can sit by that lake all day.
    You gotta buy your own beer though, we ain't rich :1drink

Is there fuel in the community of Blue River on Hwy 126?
    We can do dirt to there easy :nod
  6. oldmonkeybut

oldmonkeybut ATHLETIC Supporter

Oddometer:
    Detroit has a public fuel stop. Idanha has a pacific pride card lock. Harbics west of Belknap is a great fuel stop but requires a few miles of slab (the Chicken on a stick is worth it). Camp Sherman has fuel when the store is open. Elk Lake Lodge has fuel but doesn't want to be a fuel stop. more of an emergency thing. Crescent Junction has fuel and Manley's Chicken. Oakridge has fuel. Diamond Lake has fuel. Prospect had fuel not sure right now. Same with Valley Falls. Many moons ago I rode my 390 Husky from North to south through the Cascades. Long before all the BCDR stuff. Half a pack full of Golden Spectro and go for it.
  7. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    Does it have to be a single route? We seem to have a lot of input; maybe it could be a collection of legs consisting of a single track in places, and multiple tracks in other places. You could still get from point A to point B, but not necessarily by the same series of legs every time.

Depending upon the priorities of the predicament, or the mood of the moment, you could take the route least likely to strand you, the route most efficient, or the route that will Jam your Apples.
  8. Squishy

Squishy Elastically-kinematic.

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    Good thinking Ken, I'm sure they'll figure a few in...where possible. Obviously there'll be cut out areas too for those on a shorter time frame.
  9. sprocket3

sprocket3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just roughed out the numbers with the tracks i've got loaded in Basecamp. If we can turn the track towards the SW near Three Creeks Lake (above or below) towards Elk Lake, instead of the way it runs out East I think we are good. This should be about 160 miles or so total. I see some good roads in Basecamp to work with. There are still some errors in the track that need to be cleaned up on my computer, so I'm not exactly sure on the miles. For sure under 200 though. Guys can always detour out to sister if they need to. I did exclude the back track up Brietenbush canyon though to cross that little ridge back to Hwy 22.

It's about 160 miles from Detroit to Cascade lakes Highway using on this current track, we just need to head toward Elk Lake instead of Bend on that last leg of the route before crossing Cascade Lake Highway and we are set.
  10. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    South of three Creeks Lake, the 370 Road heads South, bordering the next Wilderness, and continues South to an intersection with FS4601 that heads towards Bend. The problem being that the West section of FS370 heading down to Todd Lake & the Cascade Lakes Hwy has had it's gate closed (and signed) the last three times I've been past it. If it's open, it seems perfect, allowing us to catch the fun parts of OBCDR Route 3, then skipping out to the West, going past Mt Bachelor.

But I'm still gonna stop in Sisters for more whiskey :rofl
    And I'll be ready for a BF steak by then, too.
  11. sprocket3

sprocket3 Long timer

Oddometer:

Ok. I'm going to skip it unless I really want a Taco at that gas station with my clear gas.

I came up with 180 miles to Cultus lake resort, instead of Elk Lake. This would bypass ALL of the pavement of the Cascade Lakes Highway. Uses the proven OBRDR 3 all the way down to Craine Prarie area.

When I was there last summer a group of guys I ran into headed towards Elk lake from that area I'm talking about. I also saw a guy head up past Todd lake on a dual sport in September or October. I bet Wachs knows the deal here.
  12. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Camp Sherman for gas :evil
    You only have to cross Hwy 20/126.
    Let's find their hours.
  13. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    Remote gas stations:

Something I have been doing is to put their phone numbers into my cell phone, so I don't burn the last of my gas on a replenishment mission, only to find them closed, or out of gas, or out of business.
  14. Flyin Brian

Flyin Brian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't count the leg of 370 from the junction of FS4601 to Todd lake as an open route. The gate has been closed more often than not until August-Sept. They basically won't open it if it's wet at all.
    An option there could be to take the 4601 rd east down into Tumalo Falls cross SkyLiner Rd and head over to the 41 rd (along the Deschutes River). From there you can take the powerline up to Mt Bachelor.
    Gas, food, and beer can be had 12 miles east in Bend if one chooses.

Count me in as another Central Oregon rider to help!
    And thanks Dave for contacting Sisters Ranger Station.
  15. sprocket3

sprocket3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great! Do you happen to know of a route from Waldo Lake heading south towards Crescent Lake that doesn't include the slab FS road up to the Waldo Lake Campgrounds from Highway 58 and the section of 58 into the junction.
  16. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Marion Forks on HWY 22 South of Detroit - Nice deck out back next to fast flowing stream. This place will keep you in the back woods mind set more than eating in Detroit...there is a biker restaurant in Detroit, not the Cedars.....Cedars scared me last year...walked out..new owners / workers ? ? Black T shirts , bad teeth, too many tats....hum,,,, . Went south of town to biker restaurant and ate.

Clear Lake on HWY 126 near HWY 20 - So So food..burgers , fries,candy bars, soda.
    Cabins, camping spots, boats to rent.
    Yep on the clear water....good place to plant the fam damly to meet up on your ride......major brownie points..
  17. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been following this thread with interest. I wouldn't ride much north of the pavement at 242 or maybe Big Lake, but I'm pretty well familiar with the country between Three Creeks and Hwy 58. And I would like to explore south to Diamond Lake and beyond.

I can offer help with scouting and trail clearing. Chain saw, truck and trailer, GPS waypointing and like that.

The gate above Todd Lake on 370 was open most of the summer and into late September in 2014. But I expect its true, you can't count on it. No telling what the FS folks might do there.

If that and the 4601 are closed, your alternate route probly has to be the Brooks Haul Rd 4606 from Sisters to Skyliners. You would just need current local info, if you come southbound and you get to 242.

18. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to understand this one. There are three ways to get to Waldo that I know of. On the pavement from Hwy 58 on the 5897. Or on the 600 up from Little Cultus, which is the most fun. Or West from the pavement at 46 on the 4292, which is long nasty washboard gravel.

So I wonder how you got to Waldo in the first place. Probly from Cultus, if southbound. If you want to avoid pavement, from Waldo you could take 4292 east, go south somewhere like on the 200 and follow that spider web of roads (the 200, 400, 800) down to Moore Creek and the 4660 at Davis Lake. Then cross the pavement over to the 4680 east of Hammer Butte and take it south to Hwy 58 at a point east of Crescent Lake.

There are lots of enjoyable dirt bike side trips in that area, around Davis Lake, Davis Mountain, Wikiup Res, Crescent Creek. Hikes around Waldo (bring bug off) and Maiden Peak. Good fishing. A hot spring between Crescent and Diamond.

19. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    So here's a map with a suggested route from Hwy 242 to Hwy 58. I can say I've been over most of it. Don't know how it matches with what you've got already.

The yellow markers are fuel availability. Green ones are likely camp spots or attractions. There is 16 miles of pavement on 46 that can't be avoided, between 370 at Todd Lake and Deschutes Bridge, where you can get back on cinder roads.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zLcxLk1W_SN4.kMvqLshEJQ-c

20. sprocket3

sprocket3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took that nice track that heads up NF600 from the South side of Little Cultus lake. Then had to slab from Waldo a good ways. I was working my way south. It's just an awesome section that I'd like to seen in the route, but I don't know how to link it down to the west end of Crescent Lake where the next section takes off on another awesome section. When heading south what's the best dirt bike route?

See attachment.

Attached Files: