Cascade Discovery Route

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Apple Jam, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Dlsuch

Dlsuch n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Still a good time whenever I can get out and ride. I look forward to doing the north section.
  2. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    And I will look forward to your RIDE REPORT !!!!
    sprocket3 likes this.
  3. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    I figgerd that I'm overdue for a Ride Report of my own for the South Cascades Discovery Route.
    It's RFA.
    Really Fuggin Awesome.

@97707 did a really great job putting these tracks together with virtually no pavement for over 200 miles through Central Oregon. More bad roads per mile. More smiles per mile. More dust. More fun. Oregon is so beautiful.

Stay tuned.
    BobcatSig and Squishy like this.
  4. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    We had a pretty good turnout for the first ever South CDR ride party based at Little Lava Lake. It helped that it lasted 8 days thru two weekends. It was a great time at one of the most pleasant FS CGs I've ever been to. I like it there at the Little Lava Lake CG, I think we'll go back there forever. If I could control forever, that's what I would do, yep :nod

Sunrise was exceptionally awesome, most days.

[​IMG]
  5. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the South Cascades Roaming Rally, this was the place to warm up like snakes before the day's ride.

[​IMG]
  6. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    There was plenty of room at the campsite for four big rigs, and they were good with the charges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did I tell you how cool that Little Lava Lake is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I need to wake up there a few more times before I go.
  7. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Some of the riders that showed and rode...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And me.
    Enjoying all of your company...

[​IMG]
  8. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    The nights were warm and full of stars with a full moon

[​IMG]
    There's always time for a trip to Manley's with @peterman

[​IMG]
    I had a great time, thanks for helping, everyone!!
    We'll be back.
  9. Pavement Ends

Pavement Ends Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a 5 day tour of the cascades thanks to the north and south CDRs! What an amazing bit of country we have to ride through. Thanks to those who put these tracks together.

I started by Crescent Lake Sunday morning and got back there late Thursday night. 950 miles added to the clock on this trip.

Sunday morning the bike looked like frosty the snow bike. Heavy frost everywhere. Made for a later start than I wanted....just too cold to ride. But eventually it warmed up and I headed out. Went out through summit lake.
    pic 1.jpg

Rode around Crater Lake
    pic3.jpg

And headed back towards Summit lake to camp that night. One of the little mountain lakes had this open air restroom setup. I thought about camping there, but figured with people stopping by to use the facilities it might get awkward.
    pic2.jpg

Monday I headed up towards waldo and to finish out the south portion of the CDR.

pic4.jpg
  10. Pavement Ends

Pavement Ends Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The road out of waldo takes you through a old burn area, Taylor Burn I think. The road was fun and the landscape looked like something from another world.
    pic5.jpg

I ended up camping at Deer lake. Found a nice little spot to setup camp.
    pic6.jpg

Deer lake right behind Cultus Mountain. There was no cell service at the lake, so I rode up to the top of cultus mountain. That was a fun ride with great views. I would recommend adding this as a recommended optional CDR out and back. View of the sisters from the top.
    pic7.jpg

Could even spot deer lake on the ride back down.
    pic8.jpg

So in summary the south CDR is a blast. Amazing views of this great place we get to ride. Tomorrow I'll post about the ride through the north CDR and we will finally get an answer to the question, "Do pigs fly?"
  11. Pavement Ends

Pavement Ends Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 3 had me leaving deer lake a little too early....I think the temps dropped 10 degrees by the time I got to little lava lake! I had to stand in the sun for an hour before the temps reached a rideable level. From little lava I slabbed it to bend and then sisters for lunch and gas, then over to Big lake for the beginning of the northern route.

The part from the big lake to Detroit and up to Breitenbush River was fast easy riding. Made good time and found a great camp spot by the river. The campgrounds were all closed but plenty of dispersed camping along the river. The next day it was up to Breitenbush lake and a little slower road....but lots of practice riding through rocks. These high lakes are just amazing this time of year. Lots of colors and no bugs.

Breitenbush shelter at the campground there.
    pic10.jpg

some scenery at the top.
    pic11.jpg

After dropping back down you come to Olallie Lake. This looks like a fun place to bring the family for a weekend.
    pic13.jpg

Riding up to the Breitenbush lake area I kept hearing this clanking noise when encountering the larger bumps. At first I thought it might be the kickstand coming down a little and springing back up. Then I thought maybe the skid plate was a little loose. But it turns out the lower sub frame bolts were backing out. Guess I need to tighten those every so often. Going to get some locktite on there now that I'm back. It wouldn't be a KLR trip if some bolt wasn't coming undone.
    pic12.jpg

Ended up riding through old barlow road and finding a spot to camp for the night.
  12. Pavement Ends

Pavement Ends Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The final day was only 60 miles so I figured I would go pretty quick.

Pretty early on I found the first little single track section. That was pretty easy to find and fun to ride.

It wasn't long though before I was riding along and noticed I was off the track again. I doubled back and still didn't see the turn. After some closer searching I found what looked like a deer trail heading off into the trees. There might have been a tire track in it, so I gave it a go. I felt a little like a lemming just blindly following a gps track, but I figured you guys wouldn't steer me wrong. Here is a shot of the beginning of the trail.
    pic14.jpg

A little bit up the trail I found this little speed bump/ ramp.
    pic15.jpg

Ok, that log looked bigger in person. But just to be sure, I setup the camera to roll some video. I figured if things went horribly wrong you guys would at least have video evidence of what not to do. And it does answer the age old question....Yes, pigs do fly!

The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful with plenty of photo ops.
    IMG_20180927_101642170_HDR.jpg

Towards the end of the ride I was thinking about how this route would be a totally different ride in spring. My tires only got wet once or twice. But I could see plenty of spots where water would accumulate and make things interesting. Might have to come back when things are less dusty and try it again.

Thanks again to all those who put this route together and keep it open!
  13. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
  14. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    What do you riders think about me doing the Roaming Rallies back to back for 2019? Like Starting Saturday up North, ending the N-CDR at Big Lake (Ray Benson SnoPark) that Tuesday night.

Then Wednesday morning heading South on the S-CDR, staying at Little Lava Lake Wed, ending at Diamond Lake Thursday Night, then come back to Ray Benson SnoPark for Friday night. Riders may disperse Saturday towards home, or camp somewhere/nowhere Saturday night on their own.

That would give some riders Saturday night through Friday night of riding and seven nights of dinners and seven breakfasts and six lunches all taken care of in the fees.

Other riders can do just the North half from Sat through Tuesday nights with four dinners, and some can do just the South half, Tuesday through Friday nights with four dinners.

Whadaya think?
  15. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    Love the idea! I'd most likely be interested.
    Apple Jam likes this.
  16. Ride365

Ride365 #DirtLivesMatter

Oddometer:
    I like it :-)

We were selling/buying/moving this summer...hopefully I can make one (or both) next year....and AVR...and...?
    Apple Jam likes this.
  17. RiderRob

RiderRob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like it too. It gives everyone options.
    Apple Jam likes this.
  18. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Good attitude! And a great Ride Report!!

You were on the old original Grasshopper Road section while jumping that log! That old roadbed is still what is actually shown on my Garmin Zumo for "Grasshopper Road". It still shows that old original roadbed, not the 'new' (50-60 years old?) replacement gravel road. So I figger we gotta do our part to keep that old roadbed open.....with some obstacles. Most riders actually just blow past that fun little 1/4 mile-ish section, assuming that their GPS is just wrong.
    Pavement Ends likes this.
  19. brokeassloser

brokeassloser I'll do it!!!

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a good reason to take a week off next summer. This time maybe I’ll have the good sense to being a cot.
    Apple Jam likes this.
  20. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    It's really fun on a fully loaded 990

:muutt:muutt