Cascade Discovery Route

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Apple Jam, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Ride365

Ride365 #DirtLivesMatter

Oddometer:
    How's the hunting activity along the north CDR?

I was going to go for a ride this Saturday in WA, but it's opening day... Looking for something a little less...congested.
  2. Dlsuch

Dlsuch n00b

Oddometer:
    I didn’t see hardly anyone out there period. I’m not sure when the seasons are though.
    tallbob and Ride365 like this.
  3. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are out in force here in the Entiat Valley......Sunny and swell weather...Wear bright colors..fur sure....
  4. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doesn't that bridge have big log structural members going purpendicular to the river with big 6 x 12 or so timbers on top? You'd think there would be the option of replacing the road bed/boards on top if the timbers were ok. That would be a pretty quick fix. It is a very short span across the creek.
  5. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We took Abbott road (4610) from Estacada, joined the CDR and followed it to Frog Lake. Barely saw anyone out Friday or Saturday.

@Apple Jam we took a track that was on a version of the GPX I had, near Frog Lake, goes on a road that hasn't been driven on in years, drops out overlooking a quarry? That was cool. Thanks for leaving that in there.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  6. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer

Oddometer:
    It's the Gubmint. Ain't no quick fix. They're probly still working hard at their computers on the million dollar "Environmental Impact Statement". Then they gotta spend another 6-8 months engineering it on the computer, and when none of the engineer's ideas actually work out for the independent contractor they hire out to do the job, they'll spend another 2 months re-drafting it back in the office. That $2,000 dollar bridge will cost $2,000,000 before they get done two years from now :nod
  7. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer

Oddometer:
    After those rocks broke a few blinkers, I removed it from the main tracks. But I'm glad somebody else enjoyed it!
  8. Ride365

Ride365 #DirtLivesMatter

Oddometer:
    First time on the route this Saturday. Fantastic day for riding!!!
    Did Pinemont to Wamic & back & I'm glad I decided to hit the CDR instead of GPNF.

Thanks @AppleJam for putting this together...had a blast.

My friend liked it, too :-)
    [​IMG]
    Apple Jam likes this.
  9. Commiehunter

Oddometer:
    It has three fallen trees, and the rocks we're fun. Harder the better for me! Roost it!

Also, I've spent like, 6 or so weekends riding the CDR, and I've never hit the section between 15 mile Creek and Frog Lake. It has always been just past the day's end.
    Apple Jam likes this.
  10. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer

Oddometer:
    That means you have yet to ride Bennett Pass and the old Barlow Road? Oh my,...you are in for a treat when you put that on your must ride list.
    Squishy and BobcatSig like this.
  11. Commiehunter

Oddometer:
    Alas, tis true. But I'm looking forward to it!

Also, I'm going to try and detour up to flag point and badger lookouts. Always gotta hit the summit if I can.
  12. OR_Rider

OR_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Apple Jam - Here is a 3d flyby of a portion of the CDR North that I cobbled together from a ride a few weeks ago, this is a cool tool I just stumbled across.

Our route: Oregon City to Estacada to Abbott Rd to CDR. Rode CDR north with stop in Frog Lake for fuel, then onto Barlow and camped SAT night at Badger Lake.

You can speed up the replay by clicking the rabbit icon at bottom of screen. You can also click the "stats" button for realtime stats based on where the marker is at.

https://ayvri.com/scene/6vk17vnxkx/cjndn7wtr0001416edjnt7xjl#fullscreen
    Apple Jam likes this.
  13. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Single Track Beater

Oddometer:
    That Ayvri tool is pretty sweet. Is that you upload .GPX tracks and it does the rest?
    Apple Jam and smilin jack like this.
  14. OR_Rider

OR_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, upload your tracks and it does the rest. After looking at it, next time I might consider editing the GPX a bit for cleaner playback.
    smilin jack and BobcatSig like this.
  15. River-Runner

Oddometer:
    Went out to the Barlow with a couple of buddies yesterday. The Forest Service has upped the barriers to go over their bridge marked as closed. They put a big mother log on the bridge itself and then a huge log across the road.

It was the perfect day! Soil had the right amount of moisture to give traction but yet little dust and no people.

We only saw one other couple in a side by side - the old guy had the biggest grin on his face I've ever seen!

upload_2018-10-18_8-32-5.png
    Apple Jam likes this.
  16. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. Lame on the closure. Is the USFS ever going to re-open it or fix the bridge?
  17. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From previous bridge closures in the area, it is likely that it will remain like this through the winter. Other bridges on Barlow have taken at least a season to get fixed. There's a few in and out options around there that still make it a fun ride without going on a big detour.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  18. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Ahh, good. I'm OK with that.

It seemed that maybe the USFS would either drag their feet on this, or worse, just never fix it and leave it closed indefinitely.
  19. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think it will be closed indefinitely. I would tend to think that come the spring they (the Mt Hood NF) will have a budget versus repairs review and hopefully this one makes it into CY19's schedule.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  20. River-Runner

Oddometer:
    I guess we could call them and remind them how many people use this as a recreational outlet.

I think it took a full season to replace the two bridges toward the top of Barlow, but then those were just culverts, not a full on bridge.
    travisn000 and BobcatSig like this.