Cascade Discovery Route

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Apple Jam, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Flyin Brian

Flyin Brian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let's just do what the local mt bike club does.... Pile a ton of dirt on the logs and make them JUMPS.
    Thanks for trying to get to the bottom of it Dave.
  2. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it illegal to cut down wood in that area?

On the national forest up here you can cut down wood as long as it isn't inside an active timber sale area, regardless of size.
  3. Mr Dual Sport

Mr Dual Sport Is no longer on ADV

Oddometer:
    Yes it is illegal. It has to be a designated firewood cutting area. Even then you are restricted to no bigger than a 24" diameter. Some areas are restricted to 12" diameter. Goes for both dead standing and on the ground.
  4. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    An illegal is a sick bird. :wink:

Or there's this:

[​IMG]
  5. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    Finally got the Sister NFS guy to go look at the situation although he said it's low priority, but is on the list. Hey also said that the upper segment south off hwy 242 is technically not approved for motorized travel except in winter and suggested to use the lower route which is a big dirt road.

We'll see what happens.
  6. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    Well, shoot. Thanks for the inquiry, the saga continues.
  7. layzrider

layzrider Layzrider

Oddometer:
    I have been active with dirtbike volunteers for many years in the Gifford Pinchot NF. The FS does require volunteers to be certified saw operators clearing trail. However, there is no law that says I can not just carry a saw and cut out a fallen tree if it is in my way. However, I am not "volunteering" at that time. We like to have at least one person certified in each group and coordinate with FS trail people. That way, the volunteer hours count as part of a State ORV fund grant that funds FS trail people to work on motorized trails. There are additional requirements when volunteering. Working directly with a FS District volunteer coordinator is best.
  8. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:

There it is, I totally agree, at least on this particular project. :deal
  9. smjon

smjon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would like to help clear the debris, I mean trees and such clogging this great trail.
  10. circusinthesky

circusinthesky SemperFidelisTyrannosaur

Oddometer:
    Still working on assembling the proposed tracks. I just made a few minor changes/additions tonight from content provided by AJ.
  11. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really excited to see this come together, sounds like a great route and I haven't done much riding in the area so I'm eager to explore!
  12. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Thinking out side the box on the down PP trees..
    Route a trail around the trees...
    Or wip out an old fashion Misery Wip .....
    Man powered saw.:wink::wink:
    That is what they use in the wilderness lands.
  13. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cutting trees is much better than blazing a trail around cross-country.
    And....that way the rest of us got to ride faster !!
  14. UPNOVRIT

UPNOVRIT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In as a support vehicle if possible. Could do a 3 maybe a 4 day back up with an f250 as long as I don't have to go 4 wheeling to get there. Looking at a Thursday---Sunday kind of gig. However, am working on sparking an interest with another buddy that doesn't mind beating up his truck as much so we may be able to help out. He's a dirt rider and I have been working on pushing him over the edge as a DS rider so this should help. Don't think snow should be too much of concern at the time but my be wrong. So 👣👣👣
  15. lucknau

lucknau Greenhorn

Oddometer:
    It's really f'n cool to see this thread pop up and take off. Thanks, Jeff, for sharing.
    (edit: and everyone else, for kicking in!)
  16. UPNOVRIT

UPNOVRIT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone up for a wana be, riders meet and drink. I would like to start knocking out parts of the route that's doable on my skill level and bike of choice. Anyone that's been on it or want to put a notch on their bike. Hood River, Detroit Lake, or Portland area. Thinking of Shirley's Tippy Canoe, or Lardo's in the Portland area. Any Sat. or Sun. Works, I have the first pitcher covered. Would be in for this Saturday if enough wanted but I really need to get up 4610 Sat.
  17. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    If yer planning on driving that F250.......
    (Bike is OK; under 48" wide!!)

Normal FS Seasonal Closures...
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mthood/alerts-notices?cid=stelprdb5191108

4610 Junction 4610.220 to Junction 5800
    A seasonal road closure is in effect from 12/01 - 4/01.
    Wheeled vehicles greater than 48" wide are prohibited on this road during this closure.
    In past years, much maintenance has been needed on the old dirt sections of Old Abbott Rd near Frying Pan Lake (just NE of Timothy a bit) and another old dirt-only (well, rocks and ruts too!) of the Old Skyline Rd heading up towards Olallie lake. We could meet at "Huckleberry's" in Government Camp some morning.

We seem to have few folks interested in a work party, what about sometime in early-mid April? We've got the Crooked River campout coming up at the end of this month, and I've got weekends full until after then. Then there's the Ludlum House April Fools gig on April 24-26th.

Who can help clean up and have some fun some weekend in April?
    Which weekend?
  18. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I'd be available on the 18th of April.
  19. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    I am, too.
    Line 'em up !!
  20. UPNOVRIT

UPNOVRIT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, the Cork's out of the bottle. Work/Breakfast/Trail Busting/Bomb Fire it is. Could we say meet up someplace that needs some trail work to get this route open. I have the flat top pancakes, eggs and beacon covered. Who can suggest the meet up place. The huckleberry sounds great but for sure there will be some '' roads '' to open up to make this work. And yes you better pick up your gum wrappers and broken blinkers. Nothing gets left behind.