Cascade Discovery Route

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Apple Jam, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah it's no joke. We took the bypass.
  2. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Do you happen to have coordinates on the bridge? We rode the CDR and Barlow Trail on Saturday and didn't notice any sketchy bridges. But we only rode the section between Detroit and Wamic Road crossing. Is the sketchy bridge north of Wamic Road? Just curious...
  3. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure they are all referring to a section of Barlow Rd right at Barlow Crossing CG just West of where the CDR leaves Barlow at FS43. It's not on the CDR just to avoid the big pavement if you ride all the way to top end of Barlow at Hwy35.
    Commiehunter and GSL like this.
  4. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    We ripped up Abbott Road.
    Commiehunter likes this.
  5. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    It was Abbott Road.

The washout has eroded badly since last year. The footbridge up off to one side has collapsed a bit and isn't the easy option that it was last year. However, if you take the high side, above the bridge, it's a fairly easy choice.

If you go down the badly eroded and deep double-track, the other side to the east, has nice little rocky lip to it. It requires full send... and a buddy to help pick up your fat-ass 690 to get up and over. Ugh...
  6. Dewey316

Dewey316 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was up there a couple of weeks back. I took the high side to the left of the bridge, and even I got through it (and people will tell you, i'm not good off-road!). The bridge would be fine, but the drop onto it I was not a fan off. The route to the left was pretty easy really, for anyone with any kind of skill it would be easy-peasy to get even a big bike through there.

[​IMG]
    tdewitt, OR_Rider and GSL like this.
  7. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, we got a 1090, 1200GS, and Tiger 800 across a couple weeks ago. While it was raining. If you're careful it's not too bad.
  8. loganlexow

loganlexow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am considering doing this route, leaving Friday from Seattle. I tried last year but got shut down by the fires. Has anyone ridden this recently and have some trail updates?
  9. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    @loganlexow I rode most of the northern half a couple weeks ago (from Detroit northward). Trail conditions were good, maybe a bit dusty. But we've been getting some moisture lately so even that might be a non issue.
    loganlexow likes this.
  10. loganlexow

loganlexow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers, @GSL! Now I need to get in touch with the weather gawds and see if they can be persuaded to cooperate through Wednesday!
  11. MotoPolo

MotoPolo So many places, so little time Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am going to attempt this ride again tomorrow - Saturday 14 Sept. I'd love some company if any one wants to join me - I am flexible on start time. Probably leave Hood River town around 9AM. I can meet anywhere along the route. Thanks - Al
    OR_Rider likes this.
  12. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tomorrow, huh?......Hmmm. Check your PMs.

Edit: We're leaving for the CDR tomorrow (Sat 14th morning) from the Park & Ride at the intersection of Hwy 35 and Old Hwy 30 at the East end of Hood River. It's easy to find, only one intersection from I-84 off HR's last (from PDX) Bridge exit. 9am? Any/All are welcome to join, ...Post up or PM.
    BobcatSig, OR_Rider and outbacktm like this.
  13. MotoPolo

MotoPolo So many places, so little time Supporter

Oddometer:
    A great day on the North CDR. I was lucky enough to get a personal guided tour by none other than Apple Jam. He was on his KTM 1090 and I was riding the Ronald McDonald Special with full camping gear. This was the first real "extended shakedown" since I built the bike. We met at the Park n Ride about 9:30 and headed East on a lovely two lane that gained elevation and topped out as it turned south overlooking the Hood River valley. Some nice real estate here with vineyards, orchards and gentleman farms suitable only for thick pocketbooks. I'll have to explore this region a bit more on a sportbike, or it would be perfect for a vintage sports car outing. Down through a sleepy little town we hit HWY 35 for some ethanol free gas. South on 35, gaining elevation, the start of the CDR is a turn to the left. Two lane gives way to single lane pavement and then gravel, all within a mile or so. Just before a hard right where the CDR gains interest, we had a "rules of the ride" discussion. Apple Jam assured me he was out for a pleasant ride and he wanted me to be comfortable and enjoy the ride as well. He would lead but would stop at any obvious intersections. He did say that he tended to ride "too fast" but that I should ride at a pace I was comfortable with. I assured him I would do just that. I hung back a bit to avoid eating dust. He was true to his word, the dust soon disappeared and I never caught up to him except at the intersections. I was following the CDR route on my GPS but I really never navigated with it as Apple Jam knows all the turns, and there are many options for the first 10 miles or so. If you are navigating the CDR with GPS you'll want to zoom in to a small scale to immediately recognize the inevitable wrong turn.

One of the nicest short sections (Apple Jam will have to chime in with location) was technically a two track but was so narrow that a pickup would have trouble getting through it. This section had a nice rhythm and ran under a canopy of various varieties of trees so you weren't in constant pine shadows but the sunlight would beam through in places. It was tempting to speed up through here, so nice was the terrain, but if you did you were soon surprised by a good drop where the water runoff cut a gully across the path. These gullies were quite regular and served as continuous speed bumps. I ran the whole section in second gear. A feature was a nice little rock strewn hill, which was surprising because the route was generally rock free. What might look like an intimidating hill was not at all, I just motored up in 2nd gear trying not to spin the rear tire. I recommend staying to the left.

This section of the CDR is a mix of "big bike single track" as Apple Jam characterizes the above section, rough two track (but easy going), gravel roads, and even some old single lane pavement (not much). We had lunch at Billy Bob winter park and then continued.

IMG_4992.jpg IMG_4994.JPG

I aired down as I was feeling some harshness in the tires (from 27 to 20) which did feel better.

From here the trail started a long steady rocky climb. Nothing hard but you had to pay attention to the sharp edged rocks. It was actually kind of mesmerizing as you found the smoothest path through. These were still public road so we would we see the occasional truck or car and some mountain bikers. The trail cut across this steep rocky face to summit right across from Mt Hood for views not done justice by my camera.

IMG_5006.jpg
    IMG_5005.jpg

Altimeter read 1767 meters. From here it was down hill. Apple Jam took a detour off the CDR for a short steeper rocky section, but still very pleasant, and then another detour down to Badger Lake (is that correct Apple Jam?), another rocky route through pristine wilderness. It was time for me to head home so we rejoined the CDR, and headed for gas. A mile or so after pavement started we crossed the Old Barlow road . Apple Jam says this is a must for next time and would make a good day trip. We gassed up at a station on Warm Springs Highway about a mile from HWY 35/26 intersection I burned 2.4 gallons over the 98 miles we rode - most of it under 20 MPH. I want to say this was about 5:30

Apple Jam asked me what I wanted to accomplish and I exceeded all expectations:
    1. Had a most enjoyable ride - good company, some nice discussions on life, beautiful scenery in parts I've never yet visited, weather was awesome, a bit warm but not hot or cold.
    2. Bike got shaken but not stirred. Only casualty was my HID light went out. It then came back after I stopped for a bite in Sandy. If anyone knows the failure mode of HIDs let me know - I would think a faulty ballast or ignitor or lamp would not recover from failure - am I right to suspect a loose connection somewhere? Other than that the bike was awesome. It has a low CG and even with the heavy panniers it felt very stable. The engine is a mule pulls smoothly from 1500 RPM. And on the slab it feels smooth.
    3. No falls (always a good ride if so), no breakdowns, a perfect ride! I am not an expert rider by any means and this was an easy route for me. I'd recommend it for anyone that has ridden dirt.

Thanks Apple Jam - lets do it again.
    krussell, MotoCouch, GSL and 12 others like this.
  14. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Looks like you fellas had a great time. I buzzed @MotoPolo on the way east on my Aprilia.
    MotoPolo likes this.
  15. MotoCouch

MotoCouch That looks rideable.....

Oddometer:
    Two of us did Frog Lake to Detroit on Saturday. Dirt was good, dust was rare and the sky was blue. Saw one bikes worth of roost in that section, but it was quiet in the woods. Get out and get it while it is good.

IMG_20190914_111051.jpg
    IMG_20190914_115216.jpg
    GSL, outbacktm, BobcatSig and 4 others like this.
  16. The Craw

The Craw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    809CEB66-E80D-4281-AFF9-5FCFE8A0B4EA.jpeg Well well... huge thanks to AJ and others that put this trail together!!! On September 21, after 4 nights of riding solo on GPSKevins California Adv Trail (CAT) from a bit south of Tahoe, I rolled into the Crater Lake Campground to meet my friend Colby, with the plan to continue home (north) to Hood Rio, via the entire route of the NWCDR. I won’t go too much of the CAT beyond to say that starting midway on the CAT (near tahoe) doubled up with the NWCDR, this makes for a LEGIT 8 day ride of excellent trails. FYI, the CAT is more of a big bike ride but still offers an amazing adventure and rather remote to say the least.
    As for the NWCDR, it’s one of THE best dual sport trails that I have ever done. I ride extensively and on a 701, this ride offers an amazing balance of mildly challenging terrain, incredible camping options, multiple fuel options and best of all views that will blow your mind (the fishing options are a strong component of what makes this ride so excellent as well.
    Our camp at Crater was f’n chilly. Not sure what the elevation was but woke up to major frost and then a nearly ice-rain that was light but damn did it make it hard to get started at 8am. To my surprise after reading all I could find there is roughly 30 miles of pavement from get go as you wind your way through crater lake national park. Regardless, it is a gorgeous stretch and soon enough you are on excellent dual sport type double track.

I’m not much for detailed ride reports as frankly, I like to ride fast and tend to focus heavily on the road in front of me, pull over, go to sleep and keep charging, but will detail our general schedule, we rode the first day to Little Lava campground and damn howdy that is a great camp. I highly suggest camping in the first circle of campsites, and what I think was #3 which is right along the stream that pours out of the lake. Upon the sun going down and a few cold brews purchased at the Campground store nearby, we witnessed 2 adult and 3 young deer crossing this stream. It was really quite a nice experience as the deer were so chill and even looked over at us.
    BB932C24-08D4-48DF-A2DC-C811B13C8FD4.jpeg
    868606A8-F081-420D-9FAB-B26E26870592.jpeg
    The next day we had better weather (although still chilly and spits of rain)... There are so many lakes/ponds, there is no way to count them all. The sections in this area were often fast but mixed with mildly challenging terrain that kept things very focused on the obstacles in front of you. After quite a long day, with several quick stops for photos, we made it to Detroit for our 2nd night on the trail. We had a killer burger and a chocolate shake at the cafe in town, fueled up and headed back out of town and up the trail a few miles to the top of a peak to set up camp just along the road (just before it got pretty chunky for the start of the next days ride). The sunset was insane and that camp spot offered amazing views of the peaks and ridges that we had just ridden though towards the end of that days ride.
    The next morning (3rd day of riding) we woke up to cold ass rain. I would describe it as a heavy drizzle. Just enough to know that you should get out of bed and deal with it, but steady enough where I did in fact get back in the tent for hope that it would pass soon. It never did! So after wet standing around having coffee and some treats we got at the store in town the night before we fired up the bikes (and the hand warmers!) and charged north with the idea that we would finish the ride that night and be sitting in my hot tub that night and a dry bed.
    C3F7B26D-AB7B-489F-B55D-0393843CEC72.jpeg
    The section from Detroit Lake to Hood Rio offers the best trail of the ride but I am not knocking the southern half in the slightest. Each of the sections are outstanding but there is a level of quality and varied terrain (even getting out into yellow grass and Oak Trees somewhere out east of the actual Cascade region) that was quite cool.
    6F4A8856-AF89-439B-B80E-725A14FF7A42.jpeg E423DA20-71E7-49A3-84EB-D09D29575276.jpeg
    Especially in the Barlow area!!! E3764801-E85D-4C5E-A685-1896580EC06D.jpeg 0C951D16-17A1-4763-9CEB-5FE14E5FC89F.jpeg The one iconic view of of Hood is off the charts.
    8FD4CE36-7D6C-48AC-8739-A4D3E9B60099.jpeg
    From there we made it out to the road that goes to Dufur and decided to break off and head home on 35. According to my odometer on the moto, it was just shy of 1800 miles in total from Tahoe to Hood. Of that, maybe 1300-1400 of that was dirt... good “bad” dirt roads!!! We got to Double Mtn by 6:30, met my wife for a pizza and a few brews and then rolled home after a huge high 5 with my buddy Colby, who did the NWCDR with me...
    My wife and I are fairly new to the area but stoked on the apparent endless dirt roads and trails that are so well maintained around these parts. I will try to do this ride every year I am alive. Thanks again AJ and others!!! I sincerely hope to meet you folks and buy you the beers you are deserving for sharing this gem.

Stoked!
  17. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    18 Degrees in southwest Bend this morning.....BRRRR